Why I really enjoy my Ipad2

djgizmo

[H]ard|Gawd
As a anti-mac/anti-apple person for YEARS... I'm happy to say I'm impressed with the ipad 2 more and more everyday. I only have the 16GB Wifi version too.

Things I love about it.
A) Great screen. Wide viewing angles. Looks great. Can be as dim/bright as you want it.
B) Enough cpu power to access most desktop websites and 1080p videos.
C) Enough gpu to play some decent games.
D) Speaker loud enough to able to use Ipad2 while relaxing on the couch. (Its louder than any of my dell laptop speakers)
E) Build quality is surprisingly great. It feel solid, it's withstood several drops (within a leather case) by my 18 months son, and the screen can take a beating.
F) The size is perfect. It's large enough to do what its meant to do, and small enough I'm not afraid to take it with me to places.

Yea, the apps are great for the ipad, but the device for me personally has stood out and I think it deserved a bit a praise. While my 18mo son doesn't understand how apps work... he already understands the touch interface and how icons can fly back and fourth, and that's what I call intuitive.

cool story bro

edit: fixed syntax

Last edited:
Sigh... I don't like jailbreaking anymore. The only reason I'd ever jailbreak my device would be easy access to files on and off the device... but in reality, since the family uses this ipad, it'd be rare that I would ever do that.

hmm, cool story and yet cool device.
Similar to you, like the great screen and apps, games, Yup, especially the 1080p videos, as Im a movies fan, and got many videos onto my iPad, though sometimes need my iFunia to do some convertings as lack of flash support, but Im really enjoyable with my iPad, video watching, games playing, taking all around~

Its crazy how many 2 and 3 year olds I know who totally get how to use an iPad or iPod Touch. Crazy intuitive. Its at a point where some try to control a TV by touching the screen and don't understand why nothing is happening.

Its crazy how many 2 and 3 year olds I know who totally get how to use an iPad or iPod Touch. Crazy intuitive. Its at a point where some try to control a TV by touching the screen and don't understand why nothing is happening.

Exactly. I think if apple can push some kind of extended range blue tooth standard and have TVs and their devices adopt it, I'd never need another remote control again.

While I will conceded that when I first bought the ipad2 I was a bit turned off by the price - included features... but the screen, intuitive UI, and how well built it is makes it worth it.

I do wish apple would allow to some form of SD card as its a lot quicker connecting an SD card to the computer than the ipad.

I thought they made an sd card adapter that plugs into the acess port

i agree, my 3 year old son started playing with my old iphone and now has his own ipod touch and he is a wiz at it. he even changed some settings that i didn't even know were available. :)

I'm going to add that the iPad2 has some great cameras on it. I was out last week and took some pictures with it (since my phone's camera isnt working and I didnt have my DSLR with me) and I was AMAZED at how good they turned out!

Also, the battery - this is what REALLY sold me. If it had a dinky little 4 hour battery I probably would have gone with a W7 tablet (at 2x the price...) but 10 horus and upto a MONTH on standby? that is freaking AMAZING!

Sigh... I don't like jailbreaking anymore. The only reason I'd ever jailbreak my device would be easy access to files on and off the device... but in reality, since the family uses this ipad, it'd be rare that I would ever do that.

I want to jailbreak for one reason - to get FLASH support. (please dont flame me for this, I know Frash is crap compared to HTML5, but I spent like 2 hours looking for a video last week on the road and could only find it in flash format (ended up watching it on my phone))

My iPods have never been jailbroken, save my latest - and only then because I got an Apple Peel (case that turns the iPod into a pseudo-iPhone --- and yes it sucks unless you use it for SMS - data is crap and cant use the handset for Skype) When I get my Sprint iPhone 5 (4GS?), I doubt I'll jailbreak it.

I still say at that age they have no need for anything even vaguely like an iPad/iPod (except *MAYBE* on long car trips) kids should still be playing with stuffies/dolls/action figures/etc at that age... you know - things that are hard to BREAK and if they _do_ break are INEXPENSIVE

As a anti-mac/anti-apple person for YEARS... I'm happy to say I'm impressed with the ipad 2 more and more everyday. I only have the 16GB Wifi version too.

Things I love about it.
A) Great screen. Wide viewing angles. Looks great. Can be as dim/bright as you want it.
B) Enough cpu power to access most desktop websites and 1080p videos.
C) Enough gpu to play some decent games.
D) Speaker loud enough to able to use Ipad2 while relaxing on the couch. (Its louder than any of my dell laptop speakers)
E) Build quality is surprisingly great. It feel solid, it's withstood several drops (within a leather case) by my 18 months son, and the screen can take a beating.
F) The size is perfect. It's large enough to do what its meant to do, and small enough I'm not afraid to take it with me to places.

Yea, the apps are great for the ipad, but the device for me personally has stood out and I think it deserved a bit a praise. While my 18mo son doesn't understand how apps work... he already understands the touch interface and how icons can fly back and fourth, and that's what I call intuitive.
I agree with everything you said, it looks,feels, and runs amazing. I just got my ipad 2 a week ago and its hard to put it down. The only complaint i would have is the price for the amount of memory you get. But with a 10% employee discount and cashback on the credit card, it takes almost $80 off.

It's nice but a little too expensive...

iPad2 is ~$500, so iPad1 is ~$400, if you wait one more genneration, the 2 will be $400, and the 1 will be $300 (and a lot of people got an iPad1/2 and are unhappy so they're trying to trade them, or sell them for even less. Keep an eye on ebay, especially after the refresh next year (hopefully).

yeah, I love my ipad. Its probably the best (or most convinient) device I've ever owned for computing around the house. Between it's form factor, build quality, battery life and huge selection of 3rd party software, it's an amazing deal (even at 500.00). For people that don't want to spend a lot, keep an eye on craigslist and ebay. I got my ipad 1 (in absolutly perfect condition) for 300.00.

My only complaint is the lack of memory (the ipad 2 fixed that) and the screen pixel density. After using my iphone 4, going back to a standard DPI is a little rough. I'm tossing around the idea of selling my first gen for an ipad 2, but I've been hearing rumors that they're going to a 'retina' display for the next ipad, so it might be worth waiting.

My only complaint is the lack of memory (the ipad 2 fixed that) and the screen pixel density. After using my iphone 4, going back to a standard DPI is a little rough. I'm tossing around the idea of selling my first gen for an ipad 2, but I've been hearing rumors that they're going to a 'retina' display for the next ipad, so it might be worth waiting.

I've used both, and let me say if you can easily afford it, the 2 is well worth the price vs the 1. However, most of the 2's features (minus hardware) can be replicated in the 1 with tweaks through Cydia (and with jailbreakme it's as painless as installing a normal app)

I'm not so sure about a Retina display for iPad3, the iPad2 sold great with a slight bump in hardware (and being slightly smaller and lighter) I think the iPad3 will continue this trend and *possibly* throw in 4G... After all, think about the DPI required on that size retina display intended for use at 2-4 feet...

I've used both, and let me say if you can easily afford it, the 2 is well worth the price vs the 1. However, most of the 2's features (minus hardware) can be replicated in the 1 with tweaks through Cydia (and with jailbreakme it's as painless as installing a normal app)

I'm not so sure about a Retina display for iPad3, the iPad2 sold great with a slight bump in hardware (and being slightly smaller and lighter) I think the iPad3 will continue this trend and *possibly* throw in 4G... After all, think about the DPI required on that size retina display intended for use at 2-4 feet...

lol well, you sold me (sort of). My roomate was in the market for an ipad 1, so I decided to sell him mine for what I paid for it, and used that money towards an ipad2 over the weekend :). So far, I have no regrets. The extra memory is more than welcome... it zips through anything without an issue and the extra CPU/GPU horsepower is great. I <3 this thing

I don't think I'll be upgrading to the ipad 3 unless it has a retina display. Hopefully it does, but I wouldn't be sad to see it missing it either

Am I the only one who uses the iPad as an ebook reader as the primary reason for having it?

It has a great screen and the backlight can be dimmed to the point to where you can still read comfortably and the light won't stand out, but you can also lay in bed with the lights off and read if you like for a few minutes before sleep.

I also play Puzzle Quest on it.

Am I the only one who uses the iPad as an ebook reader as the primary reason for having it?

It has a great screen and the backlight can be dimmed to the point to where you can still read comfortably and the light won't stand out, but you can also lay in bed with the lights off and read if you like for a few minutes before sleep.

iPad is my reader of choice as well.

It's not my primary use, but it's my primary source of reading. I do the same thing, dim the display, and read myself to sleep. It's funny how that works. When I read books, they usually make me stay up longer. When I read on this, I get tired, lose my place half-way through a page, and then fall asleep. :D Guess it could just be the difference in ambient lighting. Kinda strange though.

Anyway, love my iPad 2 also. I've got a couple of magic mice and the small Apple Bluetooth keyboards laying around. I wish some games would come out that would utilize them for when I find myself somewhere I could set this up, but don't have another computer with me. And, I'd love a Quake port. (and would jailbreak for DOSPad alone if one was available for the 2)

I use it as a reader too. And while i'm taking a dump. Or last minute surfing in bed. But if I need to do some more involved research on the net or any real work I go to my desktop or laptop. But usually my desktop.

I like to use my 3G ipad2 as n expansive gps. You don't need a data plan, just dl the standalone gps software.

If people are a hardcore web surfers be advise to stay away from this turd. Terrible web experience.

If people are a hardcore web surfers be advise to stay away from this turd. Terrible web experience.

lol why do you say that?

Surfing the web is one of the things that the ipad excels at. Especially if you have the right cydia tweaks installed, it's just as useful as a desktop/laptop (downloads, torrents, etc)... in a much more convenient form factor.

probably because of the lack of flash
This is from ATOMIC WEB BROWSER
-even though FLASH suck at least give people an option
- terrible bookmarks organizer
-most webpages not made for touch friendly
-memory
-copy paste, garbage, worst experience ever. Good luck try narrowing it down and copy something.
-no ctrl-F search
-no re-open last close
-buggy back button

These are the stuff I use very often in my daily web surfing that I can't live without. The iPad is nowhere better even than a netbook when it come to web surfing. The iPad might not suck if they should at least create a decent WEBROWSER. Create a freaking proper WEBROWSER for the Tablet. This is NOT a mobile phone.

Last edited:
lol why do you say that?

Surfing the web is one of the things that the ipad excels at. Especially if you have the right cydia tweaks installed, it's just as useful as a desktop/laptop (downloads, torrents, etc)... in a much more convenient form factor.

It's very slow for web surfing. Takes longer for pages to load and respond and not be jerky for scrolling. I have to work with many tabs, i'm a multitasking freak when it comes to web surfing and the ipad it just too slow for me. And if I want to copy text it can be a real pain or if i'm switching between browsing to other apps to paste notes, etc.

I casually surf the web on it but if I have access to a desktop i'm going to use that all the time.

I can see how some people think it's fine, they are probably just slower computer users in general so it's more apt to not be noticed by them. Me on the other hand, i'm just all over the place.

My parents just got an ipad2, I see what the hype is all about. If your sitting on the couch watching tv but wanna jump on facebook or maybe lookup a random fact, its like 10x nicer than pulling out your phone and doing it... I am still a lil nauseous thinking about paying 500 for a tablet, but ... they are really cool...

probably because of the lack of flash

I installed Frash (JB Flash port from Android) and since then I've not had any issues (Though to be fair for me flash is mostly used as a video container, off the top of my head I don't know of any websites I go to that use flash for navigation)

Not primary reason, but I do almost all my reading on it, especially in bed or on the couch.

My parents just got an ipad2, I see what the hype is all about. If your sitting on the couch watching tv but wanna jump on facebook or maybe lookup a random fact, its like 10x nicer than pulling out your phone and doing it... I am still a lil nauseous thinking about paying 500 for a tablet, but ... they are really cool...

Your missing the entire point then. iPad is an entertainment device, it's mianly to watch movies on a large-screen, listen to music, and view photos, the internet was an after-thought that caught on big. Throw some movies on it and take it on a long trip and you'll really see why people love it.

New iPad2 just over a week now.
Got it for my wifes birthday, just her speed.

Great little device, great for reading or surfing on the
couch. If you look hard you can get a lot of free apps.

Ya, I'm her tech support now for BOTH her PC
and her iPad2...;)

Back