Why I ordered an Apogee XT... Compression fittings thread advice wanted..

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Some months back when I jumped into the world of water cooling I accidentally bought an inferior block based on old reviews. So I bought a HK 3.0 and kept it in my draw as I didn't feel like going through I complicated install process with the backplate and all. Been reading a lot of positive reviews on the XT including that it has compression fitting support and I already have two extra 7/16 bitspower compression fittings also sitting in my draw that were incompatible with the HK. Not only that I would have to buy 45 degree bend compression fittings on the HK to it up nice. To install the XT I wouldn't have to take my motherboard out to install a new backplate. Not only that Petra Shop has the XT onsale for $75 and it would like awesome on a Classified. Hopefully with 3 day shipping I'll have it by Thanksgiving!

What do you guys think?

Guess I'll save the HK 3.0 for a rainy day or a HTPC I want to build ....

:rolleyes: sounds like you already made the investment.......

showpost.php

Not too sure now about that investment. Take a look at this picture of the block and notice there is something missing here. Talk about poor quality control!

ap_xt.jpg

I've only heard good things, didn't expect that.
Probably work fine but and I'd want to put in it right away but you shouldn't. That's a pretty serious error.
Bummer.

Imagine the leak that missing screw would cause. Anyhow you think it's a good idea to line every thread with silicone and also the edge of the base to prevent chance of leak? So many screws so many opportunities for water to escape.

Thanks.

Decided to install a Heatkiller instead. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Ironic considering the name I picked for this thread !

My apogee xt waterblock had no apparent dysfunction but it managed to leak all over my pc during my first expensive water cooling attempt.

My apogee xt waterblock had no apparent dysfunction but it managed to leak all over my pc during my first expensive water cooling attempt.

I think in that case I'm going to return mine and lose on the shipping I'm sure. Though I could use it in a HTPC build but it aint worth it When you look at the block there are 12 screw holes on the top face that could leak and another six on the base. The HK for example has 6 screws fastened on the base and thats it! Less risk...

Sucks that yours leaked. How did it happen? How long did it take to leak? Kill components?

we will see if it kills anything. they are drying now. leaked pretty fast. within 15 min.

we will see if it kills anything. they are drying now. leaked pretty fast. within 15 min.

So can you tell where it took a leak from? Around the screws? or barbs? I read there is an issue with the inlet threads?

yeah around the barbs.

What kind of barbs? Regular or Compression? Didn't you leak test? Or did it fail from around the threads under the o-ring?

Sorry for your loss but inquiring minds want to know what happened? Hope fully it will all dry out just fine if your coolant was deionized...

Good luck.

The PSU is shot. I did a leak test but still after a cleaning and 24 hours of drying the PSU does not work. It must have been a faulty o-ring or something like that around one of the barbs. It was the regular fitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an Apogee XT & ran the WC for a couple of days before I installed anything else. I added narrow pieces of teflon tape around all of the threads for all of my fittings.

Added tie wraps to help hold the tubing on. When the system was dry it was a real PITA getting the tubing off when dry fitting things; but I add Water Wetter & a fungicide to distilled water & the tubing seemed to be just a bit slippy ... cheap insurance.

if swiftech doesnt help you out then you can always trust McMaster for misc. bolts.. only one catch..... you need to order moer than one... i.e. i cant remember but you may be able to get away with ten or so... and at a very reasonable cost..

just google McMaster and give them a call they may ask for one other bolt to be sent in for matching or if you can get the thread spacing and size etc.

although i call BS on swiftech for poor quality control

I have an Apogee XT & ran the WC for a couple of days before I installed anything else. I added narrow pieces of teflon tape around all of the threads for all of my fittings.

Added tie wraps to help hold the tubing on. When the system was dry it was a real PITA getting the tubing off when dry fitting things; but I add Water Wetter & a fungicide to distilled water & the tubing seemed to be just a bit slippy ... cheap insurance.

i have aerospace clamps rather than those springly ones that give away after a while... or those cheapy plasting ones...

i ran my watercooler *( home made from a welder water cooler )* at 150 psi for 2 min with the return line blocked.... didnt spring a leak..

my advice is aquarium sealer for any fittings.... its made from silicone meaning it wont give way due to any vibration and is very waterproof but easily removable.

just my 2 cents

pete

Question, I just got my Apogee XT in a few days ago and just got my compression fittings to play with now. Is it just me or does this block not actually fit two compression fittings at the same time on the block?

I assume there's a workaround by buying an extension or a 45 degree elbow or something to lift the second fitting up, but it kind of annoys me.

img0086o.jpg

Last edited:
My 2nd apogee xt has no problems. But my first did./

You can only use compression fittings when the metal plate in positioned like the picture above otherwise you have to use the standard barbs and hose clamps.

Ahh, I suppose I could have read the included instructions and found that out. Before I go and do that, is there any difference in performance with the plate repositioned?

it drops flow a bit, but thermal performance will be within half a degree i'd say

tests
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=237152

Vapor said:
I tested the XT with the alternate inlet positioning "XT Alt" and observed roughly a quarter of a degree drop in performance. The drop in performance is largely from the drop in flowrate. On my testbed, flowrates went from 1.38GPM to 1.27GPM by changing the inlet positioning

Back