Why HDMI?

mis3

Gawd
I am looking for a 22-inch LCD and I have decided on a HP-W2207. I looked around the local stores here in Toronto (including Best Buy and FutureShop) and all of them had no w2207. All they have was w2207h with HDMI and no DVI.

My understanding is HDMI is used for TV and not PC. I do not see many video cards which have HDMI connector.

My 8800GTS-512MB comes with only 2 DVI ports. If I buy the w2207h, I will have to spend another $50 for a HDMI-DVI converter. Also, not sure if these converters will cause any loss of signal.

HDMI and DVI carry the same signal so you just need an adapter to hook up your videocard's DVI output to a HDMI monitor. The adapter should cost you $5 or less; not $50!

haha ye well futureshop also wanted me to pay 110 dollars for a moster cable hdmi when i bought my tv, instead i got it from tigerdirect for about 10 dollars adapters are about 5 bucks and usually, if the monitor is hdmi it will come with the converter just check the box

HDMI / DVI connectors / adapters run between $2 and $5, not $50!!!

Why HDMI? Because its the future. Its a smaller plug, and it carries both Audio and Video. It also has higher future capacity. However, both may be replaced by Displayport at some point.

Yea but shipping can break the bank. Add duty fees on top of that.

EDIT: I realize the shipping is low for the adapter but once you start getting a few cables... that's when it hurts.

a radioshack/source by circuit city would have the adapter (dont get the whole adapter CORD) for like $3

Yea but shipping can break the bank. Add duty fees on top of that.

EDIT: I realize the shipping is low for the adapter but once you start getting a few cables... that's when it hurts.

Are you kidding me? I think Monoprice has excellent shipping charges. Its only like $4 for a $5 cable so $9 is still super cheap, plus if you add more cables they cut the shipping charge in half for those. I've ordered tons of things from them and have saved hundreds of dollars. I also live in Canada and have never been charged any duty/handling fees.

They ship via USPS so as long as you keep your order under $50 you won't get dinged at all. If you go over that amount they will only charge a $5 handling fee along with pst and gst. Still not nearly as bad as USPS or Fedex, i once got charged a $30 handling fee on an item i bought for $24. What a rediculous company.

HDMI / DVI connectors / adapters run between $2 and $5, not $50!!!

Why HDMI? Because its the future. Its a smaller plug, and it carries both Audio and Video. It also has higher future capacity. However, both may be replaced by Displayport at some point.

Hdmi is not the future for pcs. It sucks for pcs, it pulls out easy, has no way to be secured, and audio is not needed on a monitor connection. Hdmi needs to stay where it was made to be used, home theater equipment. Display port is designed to replace dvi and vga, not hdmi. Display port also lacks a locking feature which is a disappointment.

My theory is that the manufacturers are feeling pressure or incentives from production studios to push HDMI, because of DRM, although I don't see why DRM couldn't be enforced on DVI as well.

haha ye well futureshop also wanted me to pay 110 dollars for a moster cable hdmi when i bought my tv, instead i got it from tigerdirect for about 10 dollars adapters are about 5 bucks and usually, if the monitor is hdmi it will come with the converter just check the box

i worked at best buy (futureshop), and they sell the top monster cables for $140-175. and we bought them for $20-25. its where they make all the money

Back