Why go to a lan party when you can game at home using broadband?

You're with other people. If there's a tournament then you can win cash/prizes. What, you don't like human interaction?

1. Hang out with friends
2. Meet new folks
3. Actually talk/yell/swear/laugh with/to/at people
4. Know there's less likelihood of hackers
5. Get out of the house.
6. etc.. etc...

Human interaction comes to mind. Some people also like having <1ms ping as well :)

I've never been to a LAN party myself, but I've been invited to a few; kinda wish I went.

1. Reactions. Because rather than imagining someone's reaction after you've fragged them, you can actually hear it. Played some AVP2 at a LAN one time, and the gal on the other team screamed when I and another person playing an alien jumped from the tall ceiling to take her out.

2. Less latency. With many cable modems limited to 256kbps up rate, once you start to throw more than a couple of other people on, playability with all your friends becomes impossible (unless you own your own server outside of the home, but most people don't fit in this category).

3. War stories. EVERYONE loves to tell about their favorite frag during the last match or how they were this close to catching someone, how some dummy fouled up their plan, etc. It makes for quite the social gathering before moving to the next match.

4. Helping friends. Some folks may have had graphical corrupition or something and were close to giving up on playing a good game, until someone else who's seen/experienced the exact same problems comes along and helps them out.

all of the above, plus you can punch cheaters in the head if it so moves you (actually, most people won't cheat face to face with $1000+ of their delicate gear not readily mobile).

A bit of a less obvious one, but to meet other IT guys and put out feelers for a new job. Has worked for me.

Because it's great fun, and after drinking lots of beer and inhaling a bit too much smoke from the BBQ grill things get pretty crazy.

Lan parties have gotten me laid a time or two. Theres enough reason in that alone. Chicks who game kick ass.

Some games are alot more fun on LAN than they are online. UT2K4 Bombing Run maps are SOOOO much more fun on lan. So are racing games.

Heh, my friends always think I'm using HL's built in autoaim. Everytime they say that I die a little inside because it seems I'm the only one who knows that autoaim doesn't work in DOD and NS.

I;ve been to a couple, and it was pretty fun.

They blocked outbound traffic though so you couldn't get on the Internet, so when there wasn't a game going on that I enjoyed or knew, I got a little bored :p

Sir-Fragalot said:
Lan parties have gotten me laid a time or two. Theres enough reason in that alone. Chicks who game kick ass.

Wow. Just.... wow.

I can't imagine going to LAN party to try to get laid.

Well hookers seem to like visiting those parties. At least the big ones like Dreamhack. Except for those there is those attention seekers who can easily find easy prey in inmature computer nerds so I guess it´s not very hard getting it on on LAN Parties :rolleyes:

Anyway they should prohibit internet usage on LAN PARTIES. I mean what´s the point then? You go to a LAN party hook up on the internet and play on-line like you always do :)

Also what is the fun to go to a LAN party just to see who you frag? Sounds a bit inmature. What if someone else frags you is the whole LAN party ruined? Just have fun I say ;)

you must have never been to a lan if you are asking that question. i've been to 5 or so, we have them every month or 2 now. very very fun, just make sure you can get at least 10 people or it's not really worth the setup. it also definately helps to still be hooked up to the internet so that if you lose a player to hunger or sleep you can join an online game and tear it up wearing the intimidating "L4n Kr3w" tags.

every LAN I've been to has the gaming computers connected through the LAN and a seperate switch + router set up for internet and file sharing.

I have gone to several lan partys and I must say I would rather have 4 or 5 friends over and just all go into a online room and work together. I enjoy lans but have come to just want to sit at home and play over net. Call me lazy

JEEVES

ps see you at quakecon blue fox :D when does pre reg open?

TekSomniaK said:
You're with other people. If there's a tournament then you can win cash/prizes. What, you don't like human interaction?

Sitting in front of a computer is NOT human interaction. Human interaction is communication, doing stuff, going to parties. It's not playing CS, even if they are in the same room.

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
ps see you at quakecon blue fox :D when does pre reg open?
No idea about that, I hope soon though...I still have a lot of planning to do since it's quite a drive from Indiana.

Back on topic, lan parties are lots of fun, you should definately go to one and experience it for yourself. Start off with a small one involving a bunch of friends, and if you like it, you should consider going to a larger one like quakecon.

rayg said:
Sitting in front of a computer is NOT human interaction. Human interaction is communication, doing stuff, going to parties. It's not playing CS, even if they are in the same room.

At a good LAN party you wont be sitting in front of your computer the whole time.

I enjoy LAN parties because everybody is right there, yelling threats and cheering each other on. To me it's like the difference between watching a football game on TV and actually going to the game.

Noone is stupid enough to cheat at lans.
Social Interaction. (Sorry, you have to leave the computer room to go to it)
Latency/A lot of players in one match.
Etc.............

I went 1# for the free internet. T3 speeds, I had my 10Mb ethernet card maxed out downloaded RH9.

Mountain dew & enough Pizza to make you puke, need I say more?

The car ride, with a bunch of friends in your 'Yoda wagon, yelling "MUSH HAMPSTERS, MUSH!!!" as your engine bogs down on the hills and your thumping on the dash and shaking your fist at the hood, with AC/DC cranked up...

bob said:
I went 1# for the free internet. T3 speeds, I had my 10Mb ethernet card maxed out downloaded RH9.

Mountain dew & enough Pizza to make you puke, need I say more?

The car ride, with a bunch of friends in your 'Yoda wagon, yelling "MUSH HAMPSTERS, MUSH!!!" as your engine bogs down on the hills and your thumping on the dash and shaking your fist at the hood, with AC/DC cranked up...

...and not a vagina within 1/4 mile. :p

Am I the other person who has no other friends who are gamers? Atleast none who are big enough into it to go to a LAN party.

1. beer
2. friends
3. beer
4. bbq
5. beer + shots
6. fragging
7. beer
8. well you get my drift by now

rayg said:

Bzzzzt. Try again. It looks like you've never been to a LAN Party :)

Yeah if you're lucky you can sit on some guys lap in front of a computer... :p

I prefer LAN parties to playing online for a lot of reasons.

Most important are the facts that at a LAN you're actually around people, generally people you know and like. THis makes the game a lot more fun because you can have instant, face to face interation with someone right after you own them.

Also it makes trash talking a lot more fun.

maybe he means instead of going to a netcafe for gaming , just have a couple tables hooked up to a big netork adapter :D with lots of food and drinks and unlimited time?

OldPueblo said:
Yeah if you're lucky you can site on some guys lap in front of a computer... :p

Oh really.. Hmmmm, are there any lan parties in New york city..

sitting on men laps and playing with a joystick...getting Fragged over and over again. Ownage :D

obyj34 said:
Am I the other person who has no other friends who are gamers? Atleast none who are big enough into it to go to a LAN party.

No, you're not. I have three children though, and they are becoming quite good at kicking dads ass.

The next best thing to a LAN party is joining a clan. My clan (K!$$) gets together almost daily in Americas Army and kicks some serious ass. With TS you get the instant feedback from killing one of your own and conversation is constantly ongoing.

wfalcon said:
1. Reactions. Because rather than imagining someone's reaction after you've fragged them, you can actually hear it. Played some AVP2 at a LAN one time, and the gal on the other team screamed when I and another person playing an alien jumped from the tall ceiling to take her out.

2. Less latency. With many cable modems limited to 256kbps up rate, once you start to throw more than a couple of other people on, playability with all your friends becomes impossible (unless you own your own server outside of the home, but most people don't fit in this category).

3. War stories. EVERYONE loves to tell about their favorite frag during the last match or how they were this close to catching someone, how some dummy fouled up their plan, etc. It makes for quite the social gathering before moving to the next match.

4. Helping friends. Some folks may have had graphical corrupition or something and were close to giving up on playing a good game, until someone else who's seen/experienced the exact same problems comes along and helps them out.

I agree with all of the above. Back when we would LAN play Doom on our old machines it was fun when someone started cussing and yelling about what they considered a "bullshit kill" we would usually proceed to throw objects at them, i.e. beanie babies we kep just for such an occasion.

obyj34 said:

As was already stated, you can join a clan for gaming over the internet, or try to find a local clan for some LAN party action.

I've done two other things that helped after moving from Indiana to Minnesota where I don't know anyone. First, I started a thread in another forum asking who was from my area and who wanted to get together to LAN. I then organized said LAN and met some cool people who were local that I could game and talk about computers with.

Also, while I was on here a few months back, I posted in a thread someone else started that was similar, asking who was local and wanted to get together to LAN. You'd probably be amazed at how many people on this forum are local to you and interested in gaming... ;)

Yep, I've made a few friends at my last LAN party, and even saw some great movies (they would play a movie on the overhead). We also had fun in an abandoned parking lot nearby because it was snowing.

Back