Why don't our computer listen to us anymore? Can't kill processes!!!

AndroidVageta

Limp Gawd
OS: Fresh install (less than 2 days old) of Windows 7 Professional x64

Ive tried everything under the sun to kill some processes I have...namely hl2.exe and FEAR.exe...Pskill, Process Explorer, various commands, Task Manager...only thing that will end these processes is a straight up restart of my PC...

Why is it that restarting the PC can end these process but NOTHING else can? What the fuck happened to a PC listening to your commands and simply doing what you ask of it? Is there some kind of software limitation in Windows that makes our PC not respond to our commands?

Is there anything I can do to end these processes without having to restart?

Right click "Command Prompt" >> "Run As Administrator" >> click "Yes" >> "taskkill /F /IM program /T"?

They're probably blocked in system calls. They can't be killed until the system calls return, which could be never depending on why they're blocked.

You should always be able to kill a process, and that is done via "End Process", not "End Task".

Read original post...

These processes are running because they are games that I play...but wont fully close out once the game is exited...

NOTHING Ive tried will end these processes short of a restart...sucks!
So what? Do they take up inordinate amounts of memory? How about CPU cycles? If they don't, then what's the matter?

So what? Do they take up inordinate amounts of memory? How about CPU cycles? If they don't, then what's the matter?

Thats not really the point is it? Would you keep a couple of nails in your car tire if all they did was let just a little bit of air out? No, youd remove nails and patch or get a new tire.

Plus with the programs running in the back ground I cant start the program up again because of that awesome "Process already running" message...

Read original post...

These processes are running because they are games that I play...but wont fully close out once the game is exited...

NOTHING Ive tried will end these processes short of a restart...sucks!

I read your post but I should have actually said what I had in mind precisely so I apologize. Process Explorer is a very nice diagnostic utility. If you look at the various processes with Process Explorer you might see something. Just an idea.

Hope you get the issue resolved!

I've been having this problem with killing processes in Windows 7 too. I don't know WTF MS did with this release that doesn't just outright end a running process when you demand it.

Thats not really the point is it? Would you keep a couple of nails in your car tire if all they did was let just a little bit of air out? No, youd remove nails and patch or get a new tire.

Plus with the programs running in the back ground I cant start the program up again because of that awesome "Process already running" message...
I think the second concern is much more valid than the first, which seems kind of weak. And it's a strange analogy, and not a very applicable one.

Have you tried Taskkill /F /IM in cmd?
Have you tried reinstalling these games?
When did this start? From the moment you first started playing these games, or just very recently?
How are you quitting your games?

What else are you doing with the system at the time? What other things are running?

Back