Why don't any games support light guns?

how exactly would you control it? one hand isnt enough to move around and look around at the same time

Most people don't sit far enough away from the screen when they play pc games. It would be cheating ;)

Many game companies consider light guns a "Black-listed" item. Start from the first console gun, duck hunt. Track your way through the history of light guns. The number of games that used light guns went up through the 16 bit era. Then Senator leiberman (SP?) attacked about violence when Mortal Kombat came out. Violence was a big issue and light guns started to decline. Warp to the columbine issue, video games get pegged for that. Simulating shooting things with a simulated "gun" was now considered "teaching kids how to kill other humans." Fearing lawsuits light guns mostly die. House of the dead 3 refused to release a light gun for the game in America. Final nail has yet to be driven but don't expect resurrection of the light gun any time soon. There maybe a few games but not many. Also with FPSs light guns only shoot, they don't track motion, so they only serve a click function, very impractical to use one hand just for clicking. Sorry for the long winded reply, hope it was useful.

my fav light gun games of all time:

Duck Hunt - NES
Lethal Enforcers - Sega / Arcade
Lucky & Wild - Arcade (you drive & shoot at the same time)
Time Crisis - Arcade
Crisis Zone - Arcade

oh man

i still get the shakes when i pass a time crisis machine

133 said:
my fav light gun games of all time:

Duck Hunt - NES
Lethal Enforcers - Sega / Arcade
Lucky & Wild - Arcade (you drive & shoot at the same time)
Time Crisis - Arcade
Crisis Zone - Arcade

Lethal Enforcers!!!!! I still own/play that game all the time, Though my Gun broke few years ago... have to use pad now.... Still Tring to find an new gun for it
:p
Duck Hunt was Da Bomb... god those games were old school
"Know your Roots" :D

i wonder how it would be to play duckhunt on a 64inch or some huge size plasma screen :)

ThreeDee said:
i wonder how it would be to play duckhunt on a 64inch or some huge size plasma screen :)

you would have to move like 40 feet back to make it fair...

dariob said:
you would have to *move* like 40 feet back to make it fair...

lol ...wonder what the range on those old lite guns are anyways...?
:confused:

ThreeDee said:
lol ...wonder what the range on those old lite guns are anyways...?
:confused:

I dunno but the cords are kinda short :)

Thanks for fixing my typo btw :)

Wireless lightguns! Someone should mod a wireless mouse into a lightgun. (custom cnc milled out of alum, none the less. :D

Actually, I think the real reason is licensing. I believe Nintendo licensed the light gun technology which would require everyone else paying large fees for the technology. Unless of course they implemented it in a different fashion.

Dear lord, the game has to support the light gun, how many developers are doing this? Zero. How many people are asking developers, why doesnt my light gun work better in your game? Zero.

Lord of Shadows said:
Dear lord, the game has to support the light gun, how many developers are doing this? Zero. How many people are asking developers, why doesnt my light gun work better in your game? Zero.

You have an point there, lol :p :D
But Duck Hunt still kicks ass! :p

There's nothing better than having a drunken Duck Hunt competition with your friends....

That, and i don't think light guns would even work on a modern computer. Too high a resolution. Light guns work OK on a TV, but that's partially due to the relatively slow refresh rate and low resolution of the TV screen.

These are not insurmountable obstacles, mind you, but they do exist. Plus, with demand at low levels, nobody wants to spend the money to develope them.

@spugnor
I'm not too sure about that. I saw a lightgun for the PC several years ago. Nobody seemed to be buying it tho.

Anyone remember that "gun" the size of a damn generade launcher for the SNES, worked with a bunch of different games.
Now that was a gun.

EDIT: I remember the name! The Super Scope! Damn that thing was cool.

If you ask me, Light guns could/can go a lot futher.

I was thinking about this earlier.

You have a light gun.

There's the trigger to shoot (duh), then at the grip of your hand there could be other buttons for controls.

One button move you forward.

Now with the light gun, since it can tell where it's aiming, when you turn the gun, if you hold the button it turn syour view with it, let go and it just moves gun.

This would give you complete freedom of movement with a very simple control and IMO could be loads of fun for an fps type game.

Of course have a few other buttons at the grip for ducking/jumping/back.

But overall it can be great fun to be able to move with a free view like that.

MeanieMan said:
Anyone remember that "gun" the size of a damn generade launcher for the SNES, worked with a bunch of different games.
Now that was a gun.

EDIT: I remember the name! The Super Scope! Damn that thing was cool.

They had one for the gensis, that thing was huge, and came about in like 4 places, lol

@Stiler
I have seen something like that before, i think it was here. Can't point you in a direction

I was thinking of a more practical use for the lightgun concept. If you could make one in the shape of a pen. You could use it to 'draw' on the screen itself without the need for a special monitor instead of relying on a pad like a normal digipen :)

@k1pp3r
I think that was only a mouse shaped like a gun. Not a real lightgun.

this reminds me of when i first started playing counterstrike and thought it would be so much cooler/easier/better to play with a game controller

hahaha....oh man i was dumb

Back