Why doesn't the 15.4" MBP have WSXGA+?

Maximos

2[H]4U
Is anyone else dissapointed that they don't have WSXGA+ as an option for the 15.4" MBP? Macs are supposed to have 'higher resolutions than PCs at any given time', but Dell has got a 15.4" WUXGA screen. How is that used as an argument?

Anyway, I was interested in the 15.4" model but that lack of resolution killed it for me.

Not yet. 1440x900 is still sharp, and Mac OS X isn't fully resolution-independent at the moment (Leopard was supposed to unlock that, but I don't know if Apple will expose the settings to the user).

Apple hasn't said it would always have higher resolutions. And besides, have you tried 1440x900 on the MBP yet? You might find it just fine.

I honestly think 1440x900 is the sweet spot for 15" displays (but I can't deny a higher resolution would be nice). I guess I'm used to seeing crappy 15" notebooks with 1280x720 displays. THAT drives me crazy.

I honestly think 1440x900 is the sweet spot for 15" displays (but I can't deny a higher resolution would be nice). I guess I'm used to seeing crappy 15" notebooks with 1280x720 displays. THAT drives me crazy.

QFT :p

Yea, all of the school district's teachers now have the 15.4 MBP...the resolution isn't too bad, but still, I'd rather have WSXGA. Considering that the ThinkPad T61P now has WUXGA as well, they should make the MBP have it too.

What drives me crazy is a high res display dialed down to 800x600 so the user can read the text in a big chunky fuzzy way.

Im gonna get flamed for this, but Im looking to make the switch to a mac, however I feel like 1440x900 on a 15" screen would be too high. Thats the resolution of my 19" widescreen desktop monitor. Every 15" PC laptop ive used has been 1280x800. Does 1280x800 look bad on a MBP?

Im gonna get flamed for this, but Im looking to make the switch to a mac, however I feel like 1440x900 on a 15" screen would be too high. Thats the resolution of my 19" widescreen desktop monitor. Every 15" PC laptop ive used has been 1280x800. Does 1280x800 look bad on a MBP?

Ok I just tried it on my MBP..

it doesn't look "bad", but it is definitely fuzzier than the native res.

maybe if I lowered the font smoothing it would look better.

I would agree it is confusing, expecially considering my 14.1" notebook runs at 1440x900 and I love it. Seems stupid to have a bigger screen at the same res!

I know it would be easier to read, but they really should get some high res going for the larger screen.

It will look off, but I doubt you will have an issue with 1440x900 unless you have already seen it and know you will.

Now, if you want to find a reason to be annoyed with them, the fact that they make a 17' $2,800 laptop, but won't bother to give it a full sized keyboard layout with a numpad. THAT is an issue ;)

what does that mean? I really don't know.

Resolution independence means that elements of the interface (buttons, text elements, etc.) don't have their size determined by your screen resolution. Yes, you can change font sizes much of the time, but you've probably notice that it doesn't quite mesh. Leopard (and, I believe, Vista) can theoretically scale the entire OS upwards so that the physical size of the UI is large enough but yet takes advantage of a higher resolution.

Resolution independence means that elements of the interface (buttons, text elements, etc.) don't have their size determined by your screen resolution. Yes, you can change font sizes much of the time, but you've probably notice that it doesn't quite mesh. Leopard (and, I believe, Vista) can theoretically scale the entire OS upwards so that the physical size of the UI is large enough but yet takes advantage of a higher resolution.

that makes sense. so when I switch to a higher resolution the font size (physical) will stay the same to facilitate reading? So the actual size would remain the same? That would be so very nice.

Actually, resolution independence was a feature that was thrown out the window in both Leopard and Vista.

Honestly I have WSXGA+ on my dell 15" laptop and I honestly think 1440x900 would have been better. I look over and my buddy's 15" mbp and that res is easier on the eyes than my 1680x1050

Honestly I have WSXGA+ on my dell 15" laptop and I honestly think 1440x900 would have been better. I look over and my buddy's 15" mbp and that res is easier on the eyes than my 1680x1050

Well for me, I want the higher res because I do a ton of graphics work with my MBP and a TON of multi-tasking, so the higher res would allow me to put multiple windows together and etc. It would be nice to have a high-res option like the 17" MBP in my opinion. I'd shell out another 100 or 150 for that kind of option.

the only thing that bugs me about my MBP is that text in our (and some other siteslike evilavatar.com) look almost bloated and blurry. Most noticeable in Yellow text...

Back