Why doesn´t antialiasing work in any Ubi soft games??

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
It just strook me? Splinter Cell, Far Cry and Prince of Persia all have issues with antialiasing. From what I can tell the issue in Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia is exactly the same.

Why is it all so suddenly hard to implement antialiasing for ATI cards for Ubi soft??? It can´t be a coincident since Ubisoft games are the only games I have trouble with aa in.

This also means I doubt it will ever be fixed in Far Cry since it never got fixed in Splinter Cell and not Prince of Persia either AFAIK??

I'm quite disappointed with the Far Cry Demo. I could NOT get it to work on my 3 systems.

My main rig specs are in my sig.

The other systems have the same hardware except video card:

AthlonXP [email protected]
1gb Mushkin LvL2 PC3500
Abit NF7-S V2.0
Geforce FX5900U / other system has FX5950.

The 2 AMD systems, all I could see was the HUD in the game.
My P4 system, the demo wouldn't even install. :( :confused:

Originally posted by Balderdash
HYPE doesn't need any stinking AA, it's supposed to look blocky :D

I am not disappointed AA not working in the Far Cry demo. It´s a beta demo after all. What I am worried about is that it will never be fixed?

Had no problems playing either game as long as I switched aa to off.

But I was hearing that the HL 2 at some point had the very same problem so maybe it´s something with certain dx 9 features that screws with aa?

I know a guy who knows a guy that Plays HL2 on a 9800np....AA works fine for him. But I have seen the same issue you are describing in Splintercell with my 9800np...Works on my 5900

I remeber reading that it has something to do with render targets and the shadowing being done.

Originally posted by Ov3rclockjunki3
But I have seen the same issue you are describing in Splintercell with my 9800np...Works on my 5900

it does? afaik nvidia turns AA off via the driver when splinter cell runs.

Originally posted by oqvist
It just strook me? Splinter Cell, Far Cry and Prince of Persia all have issues with antialiasing. From what I can tell the issue in Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia is exactly the same.

Why is it all so suddenly hard to implement antialiasing for ATI cards for Ubi soft??? It can´t be a coincident since Ubisoft games are the only games I have trouble with aa in.

This also means I doubt it will ever be fixed in Far Cry since it never got fixed in Splinter Cell and not Prince of Persia either AFAIK??

from the developer himself: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5849

Also note Halo is a DX9 game, and yet another game where AA cannot work because it breaks certain DX9 features the game uses.

hi,

i was looking around..and i also read the SC coders comment...but///

i found something interesting (they mention 3dmark here...)

>>>
DirectX 9.0a now allows "merging" a multisample surface (game tests 2&3's depth/stencil, which are allocated multisample) with a non-multisample render target (a texture), something pre-DX9.0a does not allow. If a video card's AA is multisampled-based (MSAA), this 3DMark03's patch in conjunction with installation of DX9.0a now allows MSAA and 3dMark03's post-processing to be run concurrently. For a video card that has supersampling AA (SSAA), I have not tested if SSAA smooths the polygon edges of the original frame or just the edges of the AA-ed post-proccessed quad.
>>>

in other words: A card which does MSAA (most do) is able to do Antialiasing i conjunction WITH post-processing if DirectX9a is used !

If a recent game like Prince of Persia, SC, Max Payne 2 etc. does NOT Antialias....then maybe they didnt implement the DX9a/b feature..but it SHOULD work..

Edit:

Correct me if i am wrong....but AA *and* post-processing (which is done on a texture) work if the coders use dx9a/b code !

I checked with 3dmark03/Nature/PP on/AA on..yes it works !

If UBI soft doesnt get it right then it's probably because their coders use pre-dx9 code.....and/or they (shudder !!!!) even want to be dx8 compatible ! The SC coder said something about '...is not supported in DX8"...yes...that's right.
Guess:
Another example where the company wants to be downwards compatible for lower-end cards to run on DX8....and the high end cards suffer and get bad image quality because the code doesnt support the new features ???

So....if i am wrong....feel free to correct me. I am a programmer, but i am far away from beng familiar with directx programming...but from what i read it all makes sense...and as said...3dmark03 proves it works !!!!

Yeah that sounded likely. But is it hard to make 2 code paths one for dx 8 video cards and one for dx 9? But if they make aa work for dx 9 video cards it can still be run without aa on dx 8 video cards?

But the market for dx 8 video cards are perhaps still bigger than the one for dx 9 videocards.

Having the same prob with the farcry demo?If i use AA it crashes but splintercell and Uru beyond myst are fine:confused:

Back