Why does XP do this?

Pulsar

Gawd
Everytime I update my nforce drivers, it labels my network adapter as "nvidia nforce network controller #2 , #3 ....." Even after I uninstall all previous drivers from my system. Is there any way to stop it from doing that? I went into safe mode and set it to show all hidden devices, but the "ghost" card isnt there..

You have to go into the registry and delete nvidia nforce network controller #2 , #3 and the root one before it will not do that. Do this at your own risk.

Technically, it shouldn't hurt anything to leave it but nvidia nforce network controller #99 does look pretty bad.

You can cheat at this by installing the PROset software from intel. It will display all the NIC's that have been installed on your PC (that are stored in the registry), intel or not, and allow you to remove them.

Uninstall the forceware drivers, install PROset and remove all instances of any NIC's you are not using or wish to upgrade, reboot, install the Forceware software and remove PROset. Should be good to go then.

But as was said before -- it's just a name and is purely cosmetic, it does not effect performance.

Back