Why Does Windows7 Make File Sharing Impossible?

edgeh2o

Limp Gawd
I want to transfer a few larges files from my mom's laptop to my laptop.

I brought my laptop to her house and connected to the network (her laptop is connected to Comcast through a Linksys WRT54GL router)

I made sure that network discovery, file and printer sharing, and public folder sharing is turned on for both Home/Work and Public Networks on BOTH computers. I then shared her "Downloads" folder with EVERYONE for read and write. I then located her laptop on the Network in Windows Explorer, and tried opening the Downloads folder but it won't let me, says I don't have permission.

What is the deal with this? This would have worked 100% with WinXP.

I then tried disabling Firewalls, rechecked all the settings, and then I even setup a homegroup and joined the homegroup. I saw her computer on the homegroup, double clicked it, saw the Downloads folder, double clicked it - SAME ERROR.

All I want to do is transfer a few files from her laptop to mine, why does Windows7 make this impossible?? I am so frustrated!

I then tried sharing a folder on my laptop and tried accessing it on her computer, SAME problem. What do I do now? I'm ready to uninstall Windows7 and reinstall WindowsXP, this is BS!

did you modify both NTFS and Share perms? Or just Share perms?
If you only allowed access via Share, then access is still restricted via NTFS perms.

this is no different than it was with XP.

did you modify both NTFS and Share perms? Or just Share perms?
If you only allowed access via Share, then access is still restricted via NTFS perms.

this is no different than it was with XP.

I think OP is used to the feature "simple file sharing" that was enabled as the default option in Windows XP.

Windows 7 can share files in a similar way using homegroup, but ONLY when sharing with another Windows 7 or the upcoming Windows 8 OS.

Your only other choice is to share files, the old school way using file sharing and NTFS permisions. This is the way Windows NT, 2000 worked, and the way Windows XP works when simple file sharing is turned off.

did you modify both NTFS and Share perms?

What does this mean exactly? How do I modify the NTFS perm? All I did was turn all that stuff on in advanced sharing options, and then right clicked the folder I wanted to share and clicked 'share'. I just want to be able to access the shared folder when I connect to the Network.

I got the same error when both computers were joined to the Homegroup, so the probably has to lie somewhere else... I'm guessing it's the NTFS thing since I doubt I did anything with that...

I think OP is used to the feature "simple file sharing" that was enabled as the default option in Windows XP.

Windows 7 can share files in a similar way using homegroup, but ONLY when sharing with another Windows 7 or the upcoming Windows 8 OS.

Your only other choice is to share files, the old school way using file sharing and NTFS permisions. This is the way Windows NT, 2000 worked, and the way Windows XP works when simple file sharing is turned off.

didn't think about that... I never used simple file sharing.

What does this mean exactly? How do I modify the NTFS perm? All I did was turn all that stuff on in advanced sharing options, and then right clicked the folder I wanted to share and clicked 'share'. I just want to be able to access the shared folder when I connect to the Network.

I got the same error when both computers were joined to the Homegroup, so the probably has to lie somewhere else... I'm guessing it's the NTFS thing since I doubt I did anything with that...

go to the folder properties and Security tab.
Add everyone group, and provide necessary perms.

If there is windows 7 installed on both computers, I recommend it to do via homegroup(you can easily setup it in network and sharing center) then both computers become interconnected and you can transfer everything from folders you set. If Win7 is only on one of those, and other is XP or Vista, then to ease the process install FTP server on one and download them to second.

go to the folder properties and Security tab.
Add everyone group, and provide necessary perms.

Thanks I'll try that tomorrow when I go to my moms.

If there is windows 7 installed on both computers, I recommend it to do via homegroup

Both computers run W7. I tried it and it didn't work. Will try again after try the other thing if necessary.

Impossible?

All you should have to do to copy files across the network in windows is go to start and type in:

\\computerIP\driveletter$

Ex. \\192.168.1.100\c$

Then enter in the users login for the computer that you are copying the files from and voila.

This should work on a default windows installation without changing any sharing or Network settings.

Just a reminder.... that your network profile type must be either "HOME" or "WORK" for homegroup to actually work. If your network profile type is public....which often ends up being default".....Homegroup will not work.

And when I say "Often ends up being default"....what I actually mean is: you ignored the prompt that popped up the first time you connected your computer to your local network and just hit the enter key instead of bothering to read or acknowledge that the system was prompting you to ask which profile the system should be placed in. By ignoring the prompt and just smacking the enter key the system automatically places the connection into in the public network profile. It doesn't prompt you again....Windows 7 records the connection profile type. You can change it... but that is another topic.

Forgive me....I 'm a bit crabby tonight.

Last edited:
Add everyone group

That did the trick. After I did that, homegroup and network file sharing worked. Thanks again

Impossible?

It seemed like it at the time lol, I was so frustrated. I've done it before with past computers both using W7, and I don't remember having to 'add an everyone group'... I feel like I just shared the folder and voila.

Back