Why does windows updates take forever on a VM?

Spinner or SSD?

Virtual hardware drivers installed on the VM?

How does your virtual disk bench like with crystaldiskmark (within the VM) ?

I'm pointing at the storage because I've seen some shit. Updates that took hours on a spinner took 10 minutes on an SSD.

Windows Updates are notoriously slow for most versions of Windows, and with Microsoft making up problems when they never existed before aka they're fucking around with Windows 7 and 8/8.1 with respect to Windows Updates and purposely making them happen slower than molasses trying to go downhill in a blizzard (I have it on good authority from someone I know that works in Redmond that a lot of the Windows Update 'slowdowns' have been done to drive people to Windows 10, seriously).

If you've got anything prior to Windows 10 in a VM and you're trying to get it updated quickly, there's not much you can do about it especially if it's Windows XP or Vista. With Windows 7/8/8.1 as long as you started with at least the SP1 media to do the initial installation of the VM you can manually install a few updates that supposedly fix the slowdowns and things should get faster. You can find a lot more info about those updates at:

http://askwoody.com

Back