Why does Vuze (torrent client) completely jam my internet connection?

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
So, when I open Vuze and start downloading a torrent, my internet for everything else just dies. If I want to browse websites, things progressively start loading more and more slowly until basically everything stops. The only internet-related thing that keeps functioning is Vuze and I think instant messenger like AIM also works... maybe. I haven't tested it extensively recently.

I used to have this problem when I used Azureus, too, but eventually I got that fixed by enabling UPnP in my router. (I still have no clue WHY exactly that fixed it.) I still have Azureus on my laptop (it's version 2.5.0.0), and I have it running right now as I'm typing this. And I can browse the internet just fine. But for some reason, Vuze still does it. I have Vuze installed on my PC, and last time I tried using it, like a couple days ago, it did that. I'm connecting through the same router off my PC and laptop, so ... if Vuze has issues whereas Azureus does not, it must be something with Vuze itself? I don't even understand how this problem could be happening. It's really weird: how could this program prevent me from browsing??

Thanks

Have you upgraded the firmware on your router lately? What router do you have anyway???

I have a feeling that your router is being overwhelmed by the multiple connections to the net that vuse uses.

So, when I open Vuze and start downloading a torrent, my internet for everything else just dies. If I want to browse websites, things progressively start loading more and more slowly until basically everything stops. The only internet-related thing that keeps functioning is Vuze and I think instant messenger like AIM also works... maybe. I haven't tested it extensively recently.

I used to have this problem when I used Azureus, too, but eventually I got that fixed by enabling UPnP in my router. (I still have no clue WHY exactly that fixed it.) I still have Azureus on my laptop (it's version 2.5.0.0), and I have it running right now as I'm typing this. And I can browse the internet just fine. But for some reason, Vuze still does it. I have Vuze installed on my PC, and last time I tried using it, like a couple days ago, it did that. I'm connecting through the same router off my PC and laptop, so ... if Vuze has issues whereas Azureus does not, it must be something with Vuze itself? I don't even understand how this problem could be happening. It's really weird: how could this program prevent me from browsing??

Thanks

Vuze is likely using ALL of your upload bandwidth, so even though packets are going out to request a webpage, they're not coming back in.
Try limiting upload speed or set some QoS in your router

Set Vuze to limit the number of simultaneous connections; that should help considerably.

Thanks. A couple questions... concerning limiting upload speed, I do have the auto-speed thing enabled. (I'm pretty sure.) Do you guys think the auto-speed could be mis-judging the correct speed? In other words, is it "automatically" setting the upload speed too high?

Also, if this issue is indeed caused by Vuze eating up all the bandwidth, I don't understand this: why does the jammed up internet persist for like half an hour after I completely exit Vuze? Shouldn't the issue vanish completely as soon as I exit the program??

Thanks a lot

Also, is this what you mean by limiting the number of simultaneous connections? Where, in the options window, shown below, it says "max connections globally"?

The odd thing is that I am comparing these settings to my Azureus settings on the laptop, and they seem identical. Azureus also has 250 max global connections. And the top setting, the "KB/s global max upload speed" is set to a much higher value in Azureus than what my current setting is in Vuze. So wtf??

EDIT: just a reminder, like I said before, things work fine when I use Azureus. That's why I'm making the comparison. Yet on similar settings, Vuze makes my internet crap out.

Last edited:
i'm very interested in this as well, when i have utorrent running i have the max upload set to like 15k even though my upload is 768k, and download max is set to like 3m out of my 7mb connection. but when i torrent my internet just fails, max connections in utorrent is set to like 200. i know its can't be the router, its a cisco 2821.

Yes I've looked at that already... but whatever is going on at my end does not correspond to anything that page has to offer. I have cable internet connection with upload speed of ~ 4 Mbps, as you can see:

That is literally off the chart on that wiki page you linked. So apparently my "global max upload speed" setting could easily be set to like 400, if I extrapolate the info on that chart. Would you guys agree? Yet, I just opened up Vuze again, and looking at my options settings, my max upload speed is set to something ridiculously low, only 15 KB/s. Look:

And yet I am still experiencing this issue nonetheless... Any thoughts? Thanks for replying, I appreciate the suggestions.

This thread, where the OP starts out with some wild conspiracy theories about Cox secretly installing stuff in his OS, ends up with him having found a solution, which he posted here:

Check your network connections. If you see an internet gateway icon right click it. Check the display icon when connected box in the bottom left. Then click the properties button in the bottom right. Look for the program you are using to download. If it's not listed you can add it. Click on the program then click edit. Make sure the port that you have forwarded with your router matches that listed here. Then click ok. Now you should be able to download again. Cox recently made changes so you will have to use the internet gateway to connect to the internet. And you will have to configure it to open ports. If you don't see the internet gateway icon in the network connections, try resetting the modem. Watch for it to appear then right click it. I hope this helps people.

I don't know if this actually makes any sense.

Hmm, no, actually it doesn't lol.
"Check your network connections. If you see an internet gateway icon right click it."
... :confused: Is that intended for Windows Vista?

Last edited:
Hmm, no, actually it doesn't lol. ... :confused: Is that intended for Windows Vista?

First off.. LMFAO@ that thread.. omg!

Second, @evilsofa - what you quoted made no sense, sounded like the muttering of a mad man, and is not even correct/accurate

Would you kindly suggest something that does make sense in solving the problem? :)

I did before, limit your upload and your global connections

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5504/vuzeoptionsss.png

shows the page you should be on

You can also set QoS rules on your router, either per machine (say you have a server that downloads the torrents and you have a main machine you use...... or limit by application or port, set a port range or application that should take highest priority (ex. FF, IE)).

I did before, limit your upload and your global connections

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5504/vuzeoptionsss.png

shows the page you should be on

But how much should I limit it?? Like you can see in that page, I already set the upload speed to very, very low. Right? It's only 15 KB/s. My global connections there shows 250 but I put it down to 100 since. That's not a big number is it?

But I shouldn't need to bother with QoS stuff... I mean that would be if I want to really optimize things, but it's not a requirement to making a stupid torrent client work properly, is it?

But how much should I limit it?? Like you can see in that page, I already set the upload speed to very, very low. Right? It's only 15 KB/s. My global connections there shows 250 but I put it down to 100 since. That's not a big number is it?

But I shouldn't need to bother with QoS stuff... I mean that would be if I want to really optimize things, but it's not a requirement to making a stupid torrent client work properly, is it?

I have this same problem if I use vuze. does not matter what i set the client throttling at, it murders my connection. try utorrent.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

All this talk about how vuse kills your connection... Try a different client. I use "µTorrent" with no connection issues.
Something with vuse does cause connections to get hogged like mad. It could be that all the connections are overwhelming your router thus causing connection drops.

Can also be your modem, not just your router, that cannot handle all the connections.

My original DSL modem, although bridged to my router so it did not have to handle NAT, would get raped by any torrent client. I bought a DLink aftermarket one and my problems went away. (even though most said it would not make a difference :rolleyes: )

Well... for anyone else who might find this useful, it appears the problem was my router, after all. Basically what pwrusr said in the first reply, but I didn't want to go that route until I've exhausted other possibilities. But anyway, was using an old build of third party firmware DD-WRT on my buffalo whr g54s; I guess that version was a buggy one. I updated, and everything works splendidly now. The occasional wireless instability issue which I've had before also hasn't manifested itself yet, so far.

I have this same problem as well. I am using utorrent, even if I am uploading at 5kbps it still happens. I am using cable internet. I am going to try to update the firmware as well. Thanks for the good info

Back