Why does vista keep asking me to install keyboard and mouse software?

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
I have a steelseries shift keyboard and logitech 518 mouse. Both work fine. However, EVERY restart I get asked to install the software for them. Nothing I do, including installing the drivers from the manufacturer, results in them being installed. Aka I install the logitech software and it says no product found. It also asks for my steelseries mouse and then for the usb mouse. I have deleted the cache, cleaned the registry and it still asks for it.

Vista 64, updated. Really just a bugger bc it works after I go through the install process and say I don't have anything. Even the mouse buttons with on the fly sensitivity settings work fine too. Weird. Like everything is installed but windows is somehow convinced it isn't.

I think I figured it out:

In the Run window type “SERVICES.MSC” and press Enter.

Search for the service called “UPNP Device Host” or “Universal Plug and Play Device Host” depending on which version of Windows you are running. Right click on the service, select the Properties option and under the Startup Type, select the Disabled option, and then click the OK button.

Didn't work. I tried updating driver in control panel and it said it was up to date. lol

Error message for mouse:

Description:
Windows detected a new device attached to your computer, but could not find the driver software it needs to make the device usable. Each device manufacturer typically includes driver software of a CD that comes with the device, or as a download from its website. The hardware ID of your device is USB\VID_046D&PID_C041&REV_4600&MI_01.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: PnPDriverNotFound
Architecture: x64
Hardware Id: USB\VID_046D&PID_C041&REV_4600&MI_01
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Back