Why does the Nvidia Control panel say my monitor isn't HDCP?

leh18621

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently swapped out monitors on this pc and hooked up an LG WT1952TQ-TF that is a year old. When I go into the Nvidia Control Panel it says that the monitor isn't HDCP compliant, but I know that it is (I even looked up the monitor to confirm that it is).

Yet when hook up my three year old LG 20" widescreen monitor the Nvidia Control panel recognizes correctly it as HDCP complaint.

Should I even worry about this? Will it affect picture quality with gaming at all if I use the WT1952TQ-TF?

HDCP is used to play protected content, like Blu-ray. If you aren't planning to, you have nothing to worry about.

If you are not using a DVI or HDMI connection, you are not HDCP compliant.

I am using DVI. I don't understand though, and I guess it's not a big deal, but both of my monitors are HDCP compliant and both I have hooked up with DVI, yet it doesn't see the one monitor I mentioned as HDCP. Could it be a driver issue with my monitor? Such as maybe I need a Windows 7 driver for that monitor?

Check that it actually shows the model for your monitor, and not just "Generic PnP Monitor".

It lists that monitor as "Generic PnP Monitor".

Then installing the driver for whichever version of Windows you're using should fix the issue:

http://newchocolate.lge.com/us/supp...=documents&targetPage=support-product-profile

By the way, the monitor you have is probably the W1952TQ-TF, not a WT1952TQ-TF (which doesn't seem to exist).

HDCP is DRM for watching Blu-Ray movies; if you are non-compliant, it will play Blu-Ray at standard definition rather than full HD resolution, but only if the publisher chooses to enforce HDCP. HDCP has nothing whatsoever to do with gaming, watching DVDs, web browsing, or any other computer use besides watching Blu-Ray movies.

I have not been able to find anything that discusses how many Blu-Ray discs, if any, enforce HDCP, besides vague comments from several years ago that it wouldn't be enforced until 2010-2011. Anyone?

Well,

I don't have a Blu-Ray player, though the HD TV programs that I downloaded from iTunes wouldn't play the HD versions on a Dell 2005WFP display with my 2009 Mac Mini, but they now do on my newly upgraded 23" NEC EA231WMi display.

HDCP only discourages people from buying HD content if they have older hardware. Not a very smart move, from a marketing standpoint that I can tell, and one that may even encourage bootleggers to provide HDCP-free HD content to those who don't want to buy new hardware. But, I suppose IP is a pretty neat State-protected invention, for big corporations, especially.

Peace to you all,
C. Livingstone

this will only effect you if u want to play a bluray on that lcd but you can still get around that with anydvd hd.

Back