• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why does the internet lag when someone else logs on?

Joined
Aug 24, 2011
Messages
22
I share my internet with 3 other people. When I'm gaming by myself or when no one is at home, I get the full quality of our ATT Yahoo DSL (3.5Mbps plan). No drops, no lag, etc. Speedtest says I get 2.4Mbps.

But when someone else is logging onto Facebook book or browsing photos, my latency jumps over 100+ ping and I start lagging like crazy. My games only take 0.5-1Mbps and the other person is only browsing Facebook updating photos and whatnot.

I also have a 2Wire Homeportal 1000HW router. I could call ATT and ask them to fix it (again), but I was hoping I could get a better answer here on what to do than what the reps are scripted to say.

Is there any way to fix this permanently? I also bought a DSL 2640B mode/router combo just in case it could be just the router.
 
Well I just finished installing my DLink 2640B and put the 2wire in storage. There was a QoS option in the new Dlink router so I just checked off the box. Do I need to do anything else or will it load balance the bandwidth automatically? Like it'll keep me gaming @ 1Mbps with no problem while the others get the remaining bandwidth?
 
I'm not familiar with that DLink....some brands and models have better and more granular QoS than others.

Generally with QoS, there's a spot to set it up..you define your actual upload and download. Now the QoS will have a baseline to start working with.
Next...you'll usually have a section where you tell the QoS what type(s) of traffic you want to prioritize (such as VoIP, web, <lists> of games, etc)...and de-prioritize (downloading, video streaming, web, etc).
Some even have an option to give priority to all traffic to/from a certain IP or MAC address on the network, and/or de-prioritize for another. or set max/min rate caps. (like a penalty box).
 
Back
Top