Why does the Blackberry Playbook suck so much with Pfsense?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I've been having wifi issues with my Playbook since day 1 and since I installed a unifi it's a bit better. Then it occured to me, it's any time the packets need to go through my pfsense firewall where it sucks. When I changed state table optimization from aggressive to conservative it helped a little. But putting it to normal did not help more. Normally the connection stops, drops, slows down, etc. For example, youtube. I can load a movie maybe about half way then it conks out. I cannot load intensive sites that have flash. The only way I can use youtube is the built in app. the site itself barely loads if at all. Meanwhile I can stream something from my local servers fine. Everything local is fine most of the time. If I connect TO my pfsense box, half the time I just get a network error and have to keep refreshing till the page finally loads.

I'm starting to think for some reason the playbook does not like pfsense. Has anyone ever seen this before? Pfsense is just a firewall, I can't see how it can be doing anything that the Playbook would be aware of. I'm wondering if it's an MTU issue? Everything should be 1500 though.

Because playbooks are garbage? Lol. Do you have a different router you can test?

The playbook does not seem to have any option to set MTU.

Anything else I can try? I wrote a basic ajax script for one of my alarm display systems, and even THAT stalls on it. It will refresh (via ajax) a couple times. this is BYTES worth or data. Then after a while it just stalls and it will take like 10 minutes just to do a simple transaction that is under 1KB of data.

Resetting the wifi makes it work fine, for about 5 minutes, then it craps out again. If I'm VERY lucky, I can maybe load a full youtube video on it.

Also it may be a fluke, but I find that when it's plugged into power, it works better. It's like if it has too much trouble keeping a good signal without the charger. I have a unifi access point and it's pretty much right under me, maybe 10 feet over at most. I'll have to bring it into work to test on their network just to rule out but I know as a fact my network works fine for everything else.

Back