Why does scrolling in web pages make static sounds

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I am using an Audigy 2 analog output. When I scroll up or down in web pages, it makes a quiet static sound through my speakers under the process is done. I thought maybe it was because of the monitor refreshing but even with it off, it still does it. Is this caused by the fluctuations of power inside of the PC?

Hmm, definitely seems to be related to the horsepower of this computer. I wonder if I would get this interference if I used optical out.

had the same issue once, don't remember the computer and i dont think i ever fixed it. I'm not sure if it's noise from the motherboard going through the pci connection or if its noise from motherboard creating Electro Magnetic Interference. If it's the latter you can try making some sort of shield for your sound card using foil or wire mesh and wrapping it around your card (with proper insulation ofcourse). Or maybe try moving the sound to a different slot (as far away as possible from current slot).

edit: i highly doubt you would get the same interfernce using optical or digital coax out.

I've had that problem on some previous desktops but not on any prebuilts. I also had it briefly on my current main (so nope, it's not a horsepower thing) but I think it disappeared now (either that or my ears built up tolerance to that frequency) but there was nothing I could do to stop it at the time.

I added a UPS later so it could be it, but I don't remember it solving the problem at the time -- although a similar UPS solved a noise problem in my TV so power here is indeed noisy. I'll try to connect directly later and test without it.

I remember having that problem long ago on a Pentium (1) while playing MP3s. I still get some noise on my current computer but if I mute the mic output from within the sound card software the noise goes away.

I had that problem when running a cable for front panel headphone jack. I'm pretty sure it was due to my cable being really poorly shielded, and running right past my 4870.

Yes. this is why I bought an audio card. I had this problem big time from my onboard audio - the front panel was even worse. Now with the ASUS no scrolling issues from the rear - though a TINY bit from the front. So I only use the rear output and bought an extension cable from monoprice to hookup my headphones easily.

Pete

When I had my A8N32-SLI board using onboard sound I'd get issues with background noises and scrolling. Playing around once I removed the front PC speaker from the motherboard it was almost eliminated. I'd have to have volume on my speakers on max to hear a smidge of noise.

My M3A78-T using Realtek HD codec didn't have the problem nor has my X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro, luckfully.

Back