why does my dvi cable appear to be missing pins? also does dvi make a big difference?

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
I just built a core2duo system with a gigabyte silent 7600gt, which of course has dual dvi connectors on it. My LG lcd came with a vga cable only, so I got a dvi cable, assuming it was better, but I have two questions now:

1.) the dvi cable has two sets of pins (i believe there are 9 pins in each 'group') on the far left and far right. but in between those two 3x3 sections, there is a 2x3 section of no pins. is this normal? the cable works fine, but should it have those extra pins? would it make a difference in the performance?

I also have several dvi-vga adaptors lying around, so i looked at them for the hell of it... actually two are missing some pins, but one has all of the pins. and, even stranger, the ones that are missing pins are missing more pins than my dvi cable. the adaptors only have a group of 4 pins on one side, and 8 on the other side. ????? this inconsistency seems odd.

lastly, should there be an improvement in switching from using this LCD with a vga cable, which I had attached to a dvi-vga adaptor which was plugged into my video card, vs using a dvi cable from the monitor to the video card?

thanks!

mine doesn't have any pins around the 'blade' so i believe from the diagrams on that site, i have a dvi-d digital only cable. so its the best it can be, right? i can't imagine i would ever need analog... or would I?

Mizugori said:
should there be an improvement in switching from using this LCD with a vga cable

I have two 19" widescreens, one on dvi and one on vga, and honestly, I cannot tell any difference at all. But, my panels are mid to low end at best, and that may have an effect on the appearance.

I had two 2001FP's side by side with one DVI and the other VGA... the DVI looked a bit more clear and brighter.

Back