Why does my 360 dvd playback look like crap?

arkk

Limp Gawd
Games look fine, but for whatever reason movie playback on my 32'' 720p/1080i does not look crisp AT ALL, and does not look anywhere near like 720p or 1080i resolution. Does the 360's movie dvd playback just suck or am I missing something?

There was a really good article I read recently about how terrible the Xbox 360 dvd playback is compared to even low end dvd players. It's a damn shame, but I agree with it...my dvds on my 360 look worse than those on my walmart 45 buck apex dvd player. Jaggies everywhere :(

360 Upscales over VGA.
Yeah it does it over VGA but...
ExtremeTech said:
Before we get into some specific examples, here's a quick rundown of the setup we used: First, we plugged an Xbox 360 (premium SKU) with all software updates applied into a really gorgeous Sharp AQUOS LC-57D90U LCD HDTV via component cables.
It's fucking ridicules that it doesn't provide decent playback over something like component. If the OP is using it like this then this is why it looks like crap.

this is a common issue, using a VGA cable will definitely fix the problem. DVD's on my tv look great played with the 360.

check out the 360 thread in the hddvd section of
avsforum.com

Hmmm, that is surprising. Although I've never used the component output from the X360, the VGA picture is so good I shitcanned my Denon DVD-910 player into storage in the basement.

yeah it's amazing how poor it looks through component, when it looks great through vga : /

You might want to try modding it and loading the xbox media center. Apparently it includes much better DVD playback.

360's dvd playback is pretty harsh in 480P mode but if I run 360 in 480i mode (im using component cables) dvd playback quality becomes FAR better , no more jagged edges and its very smooth and well defined. the quality actually competes with my Panasonic hdmi up converting player, of course overall 480i quality will depend on your tv's scaler , im using a Sony 34XBR960 HDTV (CRT).

Does the 360 over a VGA cable look better than a real player upscaling over a component connection?

Does the 360 over a VGA cable look better than a real player upscaling over a component connection?
The 360 will upscale DVDs but only when using VGA out, a real VGA upscaler will work with component out. Other then that it's pretty much the same thing.

so how does it know your using a vga cable? I have a 360, and I plan on purchasing a 42" 720p tv LCD HDTV. Is it just automatic?

Tested the VGA cable this morning, and it is automatic, and it is a huge difference in DVD playback quality. I guess as long as you have a VGA input, this is great. I would like to hear from someone who has an Elite if this works over HDMI now.

Back