why does it take windows so long to copy files?

JVC

[H]ard|Gawd
this is not a new vista thing, xp too was like this. while copying files from one folder to another windows takes to long. why is that? it was so easy in dos.

Explorer does seem to be slower than the command line; I guess that's what you get for having a GUI. But you can always use Command Prompt in XP/Vista to do it the DOS way using copy/xcopy if you prefer.

Where are you copying the files from -> to?
How big is the file?

edit: I just tested this. On my hdd I copied a 150mb file from one folder to another and it took just as long in cmd. Soooo... yeah.

It does feel slower, but I am bothered more by the useless "time remaining" thing. When is that *ever* accurate? Why do they even have it? They should scrap the time numbers and have an unmarked progress bar.

When I move files in Vista from my internal hard drive to my external, the move happens rather fast, but then it just sits there at "0 seconds remaining" for a while and grinds. If there's more than 0 seconds really remaining, why are you telling me there's 0 seconds remaining? ; ;

I'll agree with that. I can only say that it's possible the calculation (estimation) is done on the fly file to file.

It does feel slower, but I am bothered more by the useless "time remaining" thing. When is that *ever* accurate? Why do they even have it? They should scrap the time numbers and have an unmarked progress bar.

When I move files in Vista from my internal hard drive to my external, the move happens rather fast, but then it just sits there at "0 seconds remaining" for a while and grinds. If there's more than 0 seconds really remaining, why are you telling me there's 0 seconds remaining? ; ;

Is your machine up to date with SP1? SP1 helped the "0 seconds remaining" problem a lot for me. I also think the time remaining calculations are a lot more accurate in Vista than in XP.

For me, XP has always been great with movings files quickly and quite accurate remaining time estimates during transfers.
If the copy/move was going to take longer than 10 seconds or so then the "time remaining" was very accurate and useful after the first 10 seconds of it kinda feeling out for what the transfer speed was and such.

But when I started using Vista, the transfers were ridiculously slow.
I was getting ~40 MB/s in XP, and a file that would take 2 minutes to transfer in XP would take like 15 minutes in Vista on the exact same setup same file same drives.
It seemed like it only went that slow every once in a while though... I had 2GB of memory but it would still slow way down sometimes... and not because of memory or programs running, i had nothing additional running at startup, and a transfer that i initiated 5 minutes after booting would take forrreeevverrr...
about half of the time it would be really slow...
not quite sure what that was about.
I love Vista though, and the additional dropdown box of information when transferring a file, such as the actual transfer rate, would be awesome if it was at all reliable or accurate.

But in OS X the file transfers don't seem any snappier or quicker in any way.

I'm sure linux transfers might be slightly quicker though.
after all, linux is a slim text based OS with a paper thing GUI glued on :p

Is your machine up to date with SP1? SP1 helped the "0 seconds remaining" problem a lot for me. I also think the time remaining calculations are a lot more accurate in Vista than in XP.

I haven't transfered many files in vista but I remember trying to format a cd. It said 10 minutes but it was more like 30. And it never adjusted. Just stayed like that the whole time. Not sure if it was fixed or addressed in SP1.

Actual Performance, Perceived Performance
Something I came across that discusses Vista's file copying operations as they relate to itself, XP and perceptions of progress bar speed. It's an interesting read (and be sure to read the links included within the post). As a result, if I remember correctly, they went back to some of the ways XP did file transferring, in some instances with SP1 for Vista.

I found Vista SP1's transfer to be on par with XP, at least with the wireless. The timer is also quite accurate IMO and handy. Those that have problems should definitely give SP1 a go.

Back