why does intel not make gpus?

There's the DG1 (which is just the Iris Xe iGPU but made into a discrete card) but that only comes in pre-built systems and isn't really a gaming card. Intel has some higher-end cards in the works that will launch in the next year.
Videocardz is a good place to watch for rumors / leaks / speculation on upcoming GPUs.

Every company cannot do anything. GPU development and manufacturing is an investment intensive process, you must have capital up-front, plus you compete against Nvidia that already has a huge head start. The board would probably not approve such decision, because the risks involved are too great. The capitalistic companies are her to make a profit, not to make us consumers happy by providing nice, shining GPUs (though if the second aligns with the first, they don't mind terribly. After charging us pretty penny, of course. Profit first, then profit, and only then, you can care about profit. Then comes everything else).

Every company cannot do anything. GPU development and manufacturing is an investment intensive process, you must have capital up-front, plus you compete against Nvidia that already has a huge head start. The board would probably not approve such decision, because the risks involved are too great. The capitalistic companies are her to make a profit, not to make us consumers happy by providing nice, shining GPUs (though if the second aligns with the first, they don't mind terribly. After charging us pretty penny, of course. Profit first, then profit, and only then, you can care about profit. Then comes everything else).
yes but if they make people happy people will come back later, kinda seems like a good invesment

i heard they were making iris discret cards but why not make cards that are acc good?
Interestingly, it was never really a focus for them. But a couple of years ago, they hired AMD's former graphics lead, Raja Koduri.

But, Rome wasn't built in a day. And they also have to avoid infringing on patents from AMD and Nvidia, etc.

The problem is that GPUs are now mini-computers themselves. Crypto-mining can attest to that. I'm surprised AMD is going full throttle on both fronts. As a friend of mine once told me, know your market, and specialize in one thing.

Because they can't. They are trying, but its hard. You cannot just put some engineers in a room, hand them a duffel bag full of money and be like "Make GPU's". Even if the engineers think they can do that, they cant. Design and Manufacturing are complex business. Especially if you have to be able to make a profit.
Those engineers could make a GPU, but in all likelyhood, it would be slow AF, crash all the time, have bad drivers, randomly catch fire, and still cost 2-3 times more than the market would pay for it (assuming it didn't have all the preceding attributes).
I don't imagine intel will ever launch a GPU competitive even at upper mid-range. They will however without a doubt, compete with AMD IGPU's. In 3-5 Years.

yeah its AGP, a i740, more or less a old IGP slapped onto a agp card.
Other way around - i740 came first, then the 810/815 chipsets that used parts of it as the iGPU.

I had an i740. It was... not good. But also not horrible. Made a good base for pairing to a Voodoo2! Then I got a Riva 128 and never looked back.

Back