why does IE save JPEGs as bitmap?

Brav

Limp Gawd
If I go to my own hosting service and download a picture I've uploaded, which is clearly a jpeg, it saves as a bmp... how can I fix this? On the drop down box for file type, its the only possible selection.

Clear your temporary internet files.

^-- I believe that solves the problem - happened to me a few times before switching to a non-IE browser, when the cache fills up it stops allowing non-.bmp saves.

TheSpook said:
Clear your temporary internet files.

^-- I believe that solves the problem - happened to me a few times before switching to a non-IE browser, when the cache fills up it stops allowing non-.bmp saves.

LOL thats insane; considering BMP files are uncompressed data and take up much more disk space. youd think it would save anything BUT BMP if anything .... weird

MadJuggla9 said:
LOL thats insane; considering BMP files are uncompressed data and take up much more disk space. youd think it would save anything BUT BMP if anything .... weird

<The following is a guess, not backed up by facts>

Right click->save on an image when IE has it in the cache just moves that image to a permanent location on your hard drive - it's already a .jpg, you're just changing the file from temporary to permanent.

Right click->save on an image when IE doesn't have it in the cache (i.e. when the cache is full), perhaps IE takes a screenshot (of sorts), and just takes the already-loaded / already-on-the-screen picture and saves it as a bitmap, ignoring the compression originally used?

. . . Please correct my semi-BS answer if it is wrong :p ,

Back