Why does dynamic DNS (dyndns) go to router instead of "localhost"

shawngibson

Weaksauce
I just got around to installing apache/php/mysql...after not having doneso for a long time. That part's working fine.

I am taking an old site I started, and it works fine (sort of...does what it was left doing anyways...) but now that I've taken the domain I own, and pointed dyndns service to my router etc., in the router and at dyndns.com, it's pointing to my router, not to my 'localhost' directory.

I'm sure it's something stupid, but how do I get my website name, when people enter it, to go to my localhost, rather than the admin/password screen for the router?

I'm really rusty, sorry...

This is all just going to remain 'localhost' for testing and building purposes untill my real server is finished. I just want to show a few friends, admin at work, etc. So I've done totally batch installs of php/mysql/apache knowing I will need to secure it etc., but for now...am I able to point my domain name to it since I've setup dyndns?

Everything works internally, just my domain name is pointing to the router...blah...

Shawn

well NO ONE can go to your localhost.

However what you need to do is have your router port forward HTTP (port 80) traffic to the internal machine running the webserver. Note this opens up that machine to any security threats that are relevant to the webserver you are running. So make sure to keep it up to date.

OK in the router I turned on HTTP (port 80) and left it at 198.162.1.1 in "UPnP Forwarding" screen. The router also seems to be using this address, and it just times out.

I've also tried using 198.162.1.2 for the HTTP address, but that also just times out.

In the DDNS screen, I seem to be ok, after refreshing the page (F5) it gives me a positive result and an IP address, but nothing works again until I turn off UPnP with HTTP enabled. Then it just goes back to the router admin page of course.

I remember last time I tried to set this up a couple years ago, it was not as easy as I thought it would be...but I did get it working, so I'm just curious if you have any more advice before I give up for now...

Another thing you've got to keep in mind is that DynDNS + NAT is iffy when seen from inside your local network. You have to test it from the outside to be sure you see the same thing as the rest of the world.
(I've got a setup like that, and I can't use the hostname when I'm behind my NAT router, unless I cheat and add the internal IP to my hosts file. Works fine from the outside, though.)

Think this is something I'll have to get help with, hopefully I can find someone online today to say 'does this work...does that work' with...

Not getting anywhere, and I didn't realize typing the address locally would tell me nothing (thanks for telling me). Too many settings in the router for me to figure out...

Bummer as I was hoping I could start building my site again to get my photography online:)

This is ALWAYS the hardest part...getting the server read to the web. I can build a pretty decent php/mysql website, but I can't get the dang thing online in the first place LOL.

Shawn

I personally use no-ip.org to resolve my IP. Works great for all sortsa stuff.

I've used dyndns for a while, few years, and paid for a couple of services. But I'm just getting this runnning after a couple years no attention to it...just kept updating the payment knowing I'd be here someday.

Is this (link) getting you an admin to the router, or something else? I wish I had another computer so I could see what it's doing on the outside world...

http://shawngibson.com

I get the page title ("Shawn Gibson Photography", right?), though the rest doesn't really load. This does seem to indicate that it's redirected to the right computer, and the reason it doesn't load could be anything.

What kind of line is this, btw?

It's cable (Rogers Canada). OK, I flashed new firmware, and set everything back up. Turned off DHCP (only cuz that's what I've been reading) and turned on HTTP port 80 to 192.168.1.0 through the UPnP Forwarding screen. That's the only thing different in the router over stock reflashed firmware: HTTP on in UPnP and DHCP is turned off in basic setup screen.

Working differently now?

http://shawngibson.com

I also got a note from Dyndns that they are gonna block me cuz I have some problem, but that would be...me screwing up LOL. I replied it was me, they said reflash router firmware, so I did.

OK well I'm convinced now it's something in the setup, as the Shawn Gibson Photography heading works etc.

Everything is pointed right now to localhost. Should all that be changed to something else, such as 127.0.0.1, in the apache/php/mysql files?

I hate trying to set this stuff up. I'm good at some things, great at others...and absolutely HORRIBLE at this LOL.

Testing if it worked. It works here now...do you see an image there?

link

edit: I give up, guess I'm not allowed to post images here or something...oops.

Back