Why do people complain about dremeling?

Nuzzles

[H]ard|Gawd
Geez, I cut out a rectangle about 8x4", went through less than half of a cutting disk, took no more than 20 minutes. The way I've heard people talking I thought it was going to take me 2 hours and 20 cutting disks....Bloody hell....

-points to the thread title- Hmm?

I have a dremel thats hardly been used.. :( live in an apartment no room to work, but I would imagine when you move away from simple square/rectangle shapes with straight lines and start cutting a design with lots of curves and detail, that's when it becomes very difficult and one wrong move and you've ruined the whole thing :eek:

Yeah, of course, But I've heard people complaining about simple window designs. I also did a pentagram. Wasn't too hard. -shrug- I'm going to try some complex designs some time. Gotta find a cool design that isn't on the computer (haven't got a printer. :()

Interesting idea you've got there.:D

And if you can wait till I can find a good case to start my mod on, I'll post a worklog then you can see this "gifted"-ness. :p

Whatsisname said:
because a jigsaw or bandsaw is vastly superior for a purspose such as that.
Once you've cut a basic window shape with a jigsaw, you will NEVER EVER use a dremel for that task again :p Though for smaller / more complex jobs, the Dremel is king. :D

EzekialRage said:
you don't use a hammer to remove a screw...
I've done it before... :p

Anyways, I wanna get my hands on some fiberglass-reinforced cutting disks, they last forever.

I think most people force the dremel into the material, which puts more strain on the disc. If you lightly take away material, then you don't use as many discs.

N_Raged said:
I've done it before... :p

Anyways, I wanna get my hands on some fiberglass-reinforced cutting disks, they last forever.

come to think of it, i beleive i have too. :)

Most people complain because 1. They don't know how you use one properly 2. They have a cheap knock off one and 3. They aren't using the right attachment.

That's what I think
-Matt

Ooops, sorry about the thread title. :(

Yeah, I'm sure a jigsaw would be awesome, I have no place to work with one though. :( So the dremel is fine for now. Gets the job done quickly enough for me.

And let's please all remember to use some sort of eye protection when using a dremel. Man, I'd hate to hear about someone here suffering an eye injury/loss due to forgetting something simple like that!! :(

Shoot, just a few weeks ago, I was cutting out the fan grill on the back of my "new" (used, but new to me! :) ) shuttle SN45 mini computer, and was cutting through one section when, all of a sudden, I heard a "zing!!", felt something go past my face, and suddenly my cheap knock-off dremel was vibrating like a hotel bed with a 25-cent box next to it!! (and if you don't know what I'm talking about, you either haven't lived, or you're just too darn young!! :rolleyes: LOL). About 1/3 of my fiberglass reinforced cutting disk had broken off when it suddenly cut through a piece (my fault, I won't claim otherwise) of metal and caught. Physics took over, and it shot off at high speed, bounced a time or two, and ended up who knows where (I found it about a week later). The vibration, of course, was due to a suddenly unbalanced wheel still trying to spin at high speed.
Luckily, I wear glasses on a daily basis, and have done so for most of my life. Of course, I should have had safety glasses on, with side shields, but got lucky this time. I can't imagine what that wheel shard would've done to my eyeball if it had shot straight into it, or even on a ricochet!! :eek:

Oh, I'm definately wearing protection. I'm looking into getting one of those old gas masks. :D Oh, I do know what type of bed you're talking about. XD, although, at my age, I'm not so sure if I should. o_O

And I bet if you ever hated wearing glasses other times in your life, you're bloody glad you wear them now don't ya? :p I can tell ya I'm glad you wear 'em. Heh. ^^

Oh and about the steel/aluminium thing, I'm not sure... I'm thinking steel though, since it's heavier than my other steel one. -shrug-

dragon2.jpg

This dude used a hammer to make this case, and it seems to have done the purpose beautifuly. He just hammered the shit out of it untill he got the shape he wanted. This case is friggin HardCore.

yeah that case looks like something the tech director we had back in high school could do. He made armor out of metal, basically just using a hammer and his hands. Quite an amazing skill to have.

Nuzzles said:
Oh and about the steel/aluminium thing, I'm not sure... I'm thinking steel though, since it's heavier than my other steel one. -shrug-

There are many types of steel and aluminum. Some cut like butter, others are a pain in the ..... It is all about the [H]ardness.

still .. Rotary tools are best for details and cleanup. Jigsaws/bandsaws/scrollsaws/../../.. tend to be a much easier method for making less detailed cuts. I do most cutting with Dremels, but I know that it isnt the best way to do it :)

JesDer said:
There are many types of steel and aluminum. Some cut like butter, others are a pain in the ..... It is all about the [H]ardness.

still .. Rotary tools are best for details and cleanup. Jigsaws/bandsaws/scrollsaws/../../.. tend to be a much easier method for making less detailed cuts. I do most cutting with Dremels, but I know that it isnt the best way to do it :)

Yeah, there is many types. But as long as you use it the way it was meant for, you shouldn't go through too much disks. Granted, it would take longer, assuming it's one of those pain in the *** types. :p

And yup, but bleh. I'm happy doing everything with the dremel.At the moment, at least. -shrug-

Back