Why do IPS panels look like?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Why do IPS panel monitors look like they have dirt in them? When I look at white on a TN panel its a smooth white clear. On a IPS panel which is supposed to be better, it looks like a grey white with dirt all of it. On my friends U2410 it looks nice and dirty on white backgrounds.

IPS panels just have better colors and viewing angles IMO. I have yet to see an IPS panel without some level uniformity or tinting defects.

Well from what I can see, white looks like white on a TN panel and on a IPS panel it looks more grey with blotches of dirt on it. That can't be right though..

Well from what I can see, white looks like white on a TN panel and on a IPS panel it looks more grey with blotches of dirt on it. That can't be right though..

TNs you were looking at had light AG coating. The current E-IPS monitors made by LG have strong AG coating that some people are sensitive to. Gives everything a sparkly dirty look to it.

Yea, I can't speak about every IPS panel. I had 3x U2311Hs and all 3 had pee yellow tinting on white. I did like the 27" ACD at BB, but the cost is way to high for only 27"s. Even though the res is much higher than 1080p. I would rather have a 32"+ 1080p panel.

Why do IPS panel monitors look like they have dirt in them? When I look at white on a TN panel its a smooth white clear. On a IPS panel which is supposed to be better, it looks like a grey white with dirt all of it. On my friends U2410 it looks nice and dirty on white backgrounds.

This is not a valid question.

1. Check panel uniformity before you buy ANY monitor.
2. IPS, *VA and TN monitors may have AG coating effect, may have no AG effect or may be glossy.
3. White color is not just an empty screen. Place a photo - then you can talk about colors.

This is not a valid question.

1. Check panel uniformity before you buy ANY monitor.
2. IPS, *VA and TN monitors may have AG coating effect, may have no AG effect or may be glossy.
3. White color is not just an empty screen. Place a photo - then you can talk about colors.

+1

When using actual pictures, the white is pure. Having an all white background gives a natural dimming effect which makes the screen look excessively off-white than it is.
Also, the colors are much richer, games really look like they intended to be on IPS panels.

Last edited:
Ok take Anandtech and its forums. On that page, with a TN its a smooth white and blue very clean and crisp. On my friends U2410 its again a dirty white and a dirty blue, a very grainy effect not smooth at all. Is that how images are supposed to look?

To what reiterate what LC155 and albovin said:
What you're most likely seeing is the anti-glare (AG) coating on that particular IPS monitor. Your TN panel has a less aggressive AG coating, or none at all. The type of panel has little to do with it.

You can find IPS panels with no graininess as well as TN panels as bad or worse than the U2410.

The following steps are required to ensure that white is optimal
1) Adjust contrast according to environment (dark: 30-40FTL , bright: 40-50FTL).
2) Calibrate grey scale (including white) to 6500K (most common target).

That's the stupid AG coating, yes.
Could you please tell me, which IPS monitors have no AG effect? Skip the ones from <2005, thanks.

ZR24w has lighter AG coating than my PVA and some TN panels too for instance. So it's not IPS specific although IPS panels generally do seem to be the worst offenders. What the OP is describing doesn't sound like just AG coating to me though. Sparkle effect and somewhat "dirty" look, yes, but AG coating shouldn't really cause whites to appear grey.

That's the stupid AG coating, yes.

Could you please tell me, which IPS monitors have no AG effect? Skip the ones from <2005, thanks.

The classic examples are the original NEC24WUXi (mild AG coating) and Apple Cinema 24" (glossy).

Back