Why do i need my flash drive to boot?

Fel

Limp Gawd
I have a TF560 A2+ motherboard, and just now installed winxp home using a flash drive with a guide i found on the internet. The installation went fine, but when i got to the very end of the installation, the last 10 minutes took well over an hour, and i didnt get a chance to configure lan, user accounts etc. either, skipped right through it.

So when i boot up without the flash drive, it says "verifying dmi pool" or something of the sort, and just sits there. in order to get into windows i have to put the flash drive back in, and when the option comes up for installing windows under text or gui, i select gui and it boots into windows.

This really isn't a big deal as it is working fine so far, but i would still like to get it fixed.

I'm thinking of installing w7, but i dont have a dvd drive. could i simply download it and run the installer without using a disk/flash drive?

any help would be appreciated :)

edit; just restarted the computer after installing nvidia drivers, and it brought up the verifying dmi pool data. i restarted it a couple times to see if it would go away, it didnt. i then went into bios, selected optimized defaults, and set the usb as 1st priority, and was able to log in like normal. surely its not normal for the bios to forget settings?

Last edited:
You need to run a startup repair. Your hard disk MBR is messed up. When you supply the flash drive, its finding the boot componenets it needs, then those finish loading the boot sequence from the stuff that is intact on your hard drive.

You need to run a startup repair. Your hard disk MBR is messed up. When you supply the flash drive, its finding the boot componenets it needs, then those finish loading the boot sequence from the stuff that is intact on your hard drive.

installing w7 would fix this, correct? im ready to install it, i just dont want to take any chances, this is the only computer i have hehe

installing w7 would fix this, correct? im ready to install it, i just dont want to take any chances, this is the only computer i have hehe

If you're fine with installing Windows 7 then go for it. There's no reason (unless you have a specific reason NOT to run Windows 7) to not run it.

ok, downloaded vista, mounted it to a virtual drive, and right after i select "install windows" from the splash screen i get this error message

29c70yd.jpg

i have over 700mb on all 3 of my drives, including my flash drive. anyone know what the problem is?

ok, downloaded vista, mounted it to a virtual drive, and right after i select "install windows" from the splash screen i get this error message

29c70yd.jpg

i have over 700mb on all 3 of my drives, including my flash drive. anyone know what the problem is?

Did you follow techniesooner's guide? It's simple and flawless, if that didn't work, I'd suspect something is up with your mobo or HDD

Nah, taking 2 hours to do it the "proper" way takes too much time, it's much better to try and fail the same method over the course of 3 weeks.

Back