Why do I have to do things the hard way? My rant on my current headache.

Nimisys

Fully [H]
Been slowing building my cooling system: MCP35x w/ reservoir, 2x 240MCR, 2x Rasa GPU blocks, Rasa CPU block. nothing too fancy.

What makes this more complicated is that it is being used in a custom "case" designed to be suspended under an Ikea Galant desk.

Finally it is using a combination of 3/8 Copper Hard Pipes and 3/8ID Tygon Tubing

Here it is prior to painting still in mockup phase:
2011-10-02170207.jpg

Manifolds after primer:
2011-10-28183408-1.jpg

copper pipe runs pump to radiator, then radiator to manifold. the manifolds (there are two: inlet and outlet) are made from PVC. they function to split the system into 3 parallel loops (2x GPU & a single CPU each with two quick disconnects and Tygon tubing), as well as a drain valve. the outlet manifold then goes back to copper pipe to the second radiator and finally back into the reservoir. the barbs, pipe fittings and drain valves in the manifolds are tapped at 1/4npt.

Unfortunately these were not out yet when the project commenced roughly two months ago. Despite what I've read online, the pilot hole for G 1/4 is not 13/32" as a 7/16" drill goes right through without touching any metal. So it is not possible to retap the swiftec radiators from G1/4 to 1/4NPT. i have tried threading the 1/4NPT pipe fittings directly in, and while it works on the pump and reservoir, the fitting at the radiator directly after the pump i can not get to seal yet. a slow drip, but a drip none the less. going to try some teflon tape next, but not sure what the next move will be if that fails.

From the start, i wanted this setup to be stable as well as making future system upgrades easy. for the most part i think i have succeeded. i can easily remove the video cards or cpu without draining the entire loop or re-bleeding it, additional components can be added by simply placing additional barbs in the manifold and adding another parallel loop. radiators, pump and reservoir are fixed in place with plumbing that won't degrade with time or use, as well as being easy to remove. i am tempted to drop the 60$ on Koolance's overpriced fittings, but they are one time use, and that doesn't fit with the rest of the system.

thats my rant, i got more pictures, but i am saving that for once it is completed.

if anyone has direct experience with the koolance fittings i linked to, i would love to know how well they work and if they can be reused.

I think you'd benefit from a second pump in series. You're getting a lot of flow loss by making parallel loops and each loop looks like it has a good amount of restriction. As for your fitting issue, I second trying teflon tape first.

Swagelok swak, jetlube v2, and loctite (forget part number) is a thick white thread sealer. It seals all kinds of stuff. I have sealed leaking valves on Meter runs at 1000psi gas. It will fix your issue if tape doesn't.

I agree you need parallel runs of equal resistance to get even flow. This can be done by adding in zone valves and pinch zones to make flow equal. But this will add back pressure on your pump.

Current flow rate doesn't look too bad, it will empty the reservior in a few seconds. As for the parallel runs, two are equal (the gpus), only the cpu is different, but it is of the same family as the gpu. Depending on the temps, squeezing the cpu line with a worm clamp to restrict it further (or the same idea for the gpu's) can act as a flow equalizer

teflon tape looks to have worked on the radiators, one leak fixed. working to fix a drip forming off the drain valve now. tape did not work here, thinking epoxy may do the trick.

I forgot to mention earlier, kudos for using hard line. It looks so much better than plastic tubing IMHO. Hope it works out for you.

I forgot to mention earlier, kudos for using hard line. It looks so much better than plastic tubing IMHO. Hope it works out for you.

It does look good. Any benefits in using it?

potential for slightly better cooling, but only by a small margin (maybe a degree in a well ventilated case, maybe). no worry about degradation over time. no kinking, no punctures. relatively cheap (under a dollar a foot), easy to aquire (home depot, lowes, ace, etc)

the downside is that finding G1/4 45 degree flare pipe fittings is difficult (prior to koolance releasing the ones i linked to) and pricey. 1/4 NPT fittings run about 4$ a pop total (fitting + flare nut), but they are a slightly different thread pitch (-18 vs -19) so sealing is more difficult

I may be late but Bitspower makes a NPT to G1/4 adapter. Part BP-WTP-C05.

I have 2 on my MCR320 and it works perfectly.

Current flow rate doesn't look too bad, it will empty the reservior in a few seconds.

I meant flow rate through each of the individual parallel loops. It probably sucks.

I may be late but Bitspower makes a NPT to G1/4 adapter. Part BP-WTP-C05.

I have 2 on my MCR320 and it works perfectly.

I wished i had seen those earlier, would have made life a hell of a lot easier :p even better would be if they had an AN to G1/4 adpater. then it could be SS flexible tubing into the blocks.

right now all my NPT fittings in the pump and radiators are leak free, teflon tape worked

the manifolds are another story. :( going to try another approach with them, using solid blocks of acrylic.

As for the flow rate, I'll measure it once the new manifolds are done, but i am willing to sacrifice a bit of performance in order to keep things easy to work on and upgrade. right now the CPU loop doesn't look to be flowing significantly slower or quicker than the gpu's.

Back