Why did video cards stop having extra ram?

I had a Diamond made S3 Virge and I don't remember any extra sockets for vram on it. I complained to 3DFX that the first Voodoo should have come with extra vram sockets because some game developers were saying 4mb was not enough to do what they needed for their flight-sims.

My VRAM usage is about 3950-4060MB playing Black Ops 3. I have a 4k monitor, but have graphics scaled down to 1080p. I don't have too many games installed right now, but it was the same issue with Witcher 3... It's extremely easy to max out 4GB. I should be using a 980Ti, but it's not worth the expense right now with new cards within a year that promise way more VRAM to handle 4k properly.

Also SLI configs do not benefit from the VRAM of additional cards. If you have 970s in SLI - which can handle a lot of games just fine, even at 4k - you're going to be limited on VRAM.

Black Ops III is retarded though. I run a 980Ti and it just uses up all vram until the game slows to a crawl. There may have been a patch since that rectified the issue, but I think the game's terrible so I stopped playing it anyway.

There's no reason why Black Ops III should just consume all your vram.

I had a Diamond made S3 Virge and I don't remember any extra sockets for vram on it. I complained to 3DFX that the first Voodoo should have come with extra vram sockets because some game developers were saying 4mb was not enough to do what they needed for their flight-sims.

5DpUwA5.jpg

I've got one somewhere here....

Back