Why did prices rise on HD7970/R9 280X?

NetTechie

Limp Gawd
Last year they were around $350 for a HD7970 new. Now those same cards are $450, as are the new R9 280X. What happened?

Last year they were around $350 for a HD7970 new. Now those same cards are $450, as are the new R9 280X. What happened?

It's the high demand from the miners. It's nice to see that my old HD 7970 still has some value after all these years :)

Once the demand dies down the prices will come down.

That sucks... mining doesn't have much to do with the cards original purpose, gaming. Right, I can't afford to game because someone can use a gaming item for some other purpose which makes gaming out of the question. :p

Well, I didn't know the miners were screwing the gamers, lol.

well bud you need try to find if already exist any thread related to what are you asking.. now if you already found those multiple AMD prices and you still have new doubts well, make a new thread about that.. but thats why the forum have a search engine..

and btw off topic you need to get out of that cave man.. that issue with the miners are getting kinda old now..

That sucks... mining doesn't have much to do with the cards original purpose, gaming. Right, I can't afford to game because someone can use a gaming item for some other purpose which makes gaming out of the question. :p

Go buy Nvidia

These cards have gotten to a point where they are fantastic for video encoding, password cracking and insane amounts of stuff. Gaming LMAO video cards these days yawn when they see such boring things

Well, I didn't know the miners were screwing the gamers, lol.

Its not the miners its the greedy scalpers like newegg which has no problem keeping the cards in stock because I don't think anybody is stupid enough to pay those prices.

Better performance can be had in just setting up 270x's

Its not the miners its the greedy scalpers like newegg which has no problem keeping the cards in stock because I don't think anybody is stupid enough to pay those prices.

Better performance can be had in just setting up 270x's

It's not about stupidity. If you do your homework and math works out in your favor, you can, possibly, justify to purchase these "overpriced" GPUs. You just have to prepare for the worst (i.e. cryptocurrency collapse). Nobody knows what's going to happen to all these cryptocurrencies afterall.

I think very soon bitcoin wll be shut down after the U.S. sells all those coins they got from silkroad ..I think they will pull the plug on it as to much underground bad stuff happens with bitcoin.

I bought my 7950 a year ago for $295 and now they are selling new for $420... pretty crazy.

Back