Why can't I pay money for a freaking FM2+ APU

y0bailey

Gawd
AMD is starting to irk me....between being unable to pay them money for a VEGA, to being unable to pay them money for an FM2+ A8 series APU...I am beginning to question their ability to actually produce things.

I know FM2+ is old news, but I have a dual core APU that I just want to turn into a quad core (HTPC build from a long time ago), but there isn't ANYTHING in stock. I haven't read anything of them phasing it out completely, but damn.

End rant. I'm grumpy today. Get your shit together AMD.

AMD is starting to irk me....between being unable to pay them money for a VEGA, to being unable to pay them money for an FM2+ A8 series APU...I am beginning to question their ability to actually produce things.

I know FM2+ is old news, but I have a dual core APU that I just want to turn into a quad core (HTPC build from a long time ago), but there isn't ANYTHING in stock. I haven't read anything of them phasing it out completely, but damn.

I took a look as saw what you meant. However, I think with the APU's, they ditched producing FX based anything as quickly as they possibly could. I am not even finding used ones on Amazon.

Yeah you are screwed unfortunately, it sucks but even AMD abandons sockets. AMD has little to gain by manufacturing retail CPUs for old sockets. The faster they can switch over to Ryzen everything the better.

Check Ebay and Newegg also has a lot of refurb FM2 CPUs for sale.

I have an A10-6800k and an A8 (forget which). I think the A8 is in my mini-server-thing, and my A10 is collecting dust somewhere...I'll have to dig it out of my stuff. I wouldn't mind selling it for a reasonable price, plus shipping. (full disclosure: it has been abused a bit, overclocking, over and undervolting. it works fine at stock clocks, doesn't overclock too well anymore)

I have an A10-6800k and an A8 (forget which). I think the A8 is in my mini-server-thing, and my A10 is collecting dust somewhere...I'll have to dig it out of my stuff. I wouldn't mind selling it for a reasonable price, plus shipping. (full disclosure: it has been abused a bit, overclocking, over and undervolting. it works fine at stock clocks, doesn't overclock too well anymore)

If you find it let me know...this will go in my HTPC so I wont' need to OC/etc. I'll buy it off you no problem provided the price is right? What is the right price for a half-burned up APU....LOL

If you find it let me know...this will go in my HTPC so I wont' need to OC/etc. I'll buy it off you no problem provided the price is right? What is the right price for a half-burned up APU....LOL
they're selling for about $75 used on ebay. I could let it go for $50 +shipping. If shipping isn't ridiculous I wont even worry about it. it's sitting in my gigabyte f2-a88x-up4 right now. not sure where the box is. if I can find the box I'll send it in that with the stock cooler, or I can put it in the clamshell my ryzen came in and ship it via bubble mailer for $10 less.

Edit: found the box and stock cooler. it's pretty small, so shipping may not be too bad. I'll have to box it up and get a quote. bubble mailer is still an option too, if you want to go that route.

Last edited:
I will have an A10-5800K this weekend I wont need. Doing a business pull. Let me know. Board may be questionable.

Might as well wait for AM4-based APUs if you can't find anything.

usa, can, ?? 'egg.ca and 'zon.ca still have several a8 variants in stock. did you check the fs/ft thread?

I've got 3 FM2+ systems in my house now. I even have the elusive 7890k!
I also buils about 10 PC's for a business, all running 7850 and 7870k's. But you're right you cant find any new ones. So I hope they last until the AM4's come out.

Bulldozer and its derivatives were one of the biggest disasters in AMD's history.

It's no surprise that AMD want to ditch them ASAP.

Bulldozer and its derivatives were one of the biggest disasters in AMD's history.

It's no surprise that AMD want to ditch them ASAP.

From a financial and performance standpoint compared to the competition, yes. However, I think the biggest two problems they had were Global Foundries process and the fact that the L3 cache was very slow. The CMT design itself is good, if implemented correctly.

AMD stopped production on anything for FM2 a while back, in favor of their new AM4 products.

The A10-7890k wasn't elusive - Newegg had them in stock for a LONG time - they were just pricy so I tended to go with A10-7860k models instead most of the time.

The APUs based on Bulldozer weren't a disaster - but the other non-APU CPUs certainly weren't very competative, forcing AMD to sell strictly into the "value" and "entry level" segments for a LONG time.

I am using an 860k while my ryzen 1700 mines cryptonight :) Irony, i was so excited to upgrade and here i am still using it because it sucks at mining

Back