Why can't I display videos?

Lazarey

Gawd
My computer up and decided not to display certain kinds of videos, including FLV, MP4, MPEG, ect. The only videos that will display (to my knowledge) are AVI.
I keep saying "display" because the video will open and play the sound, but no picture.

I've tried VLC player, Nero ShowTime, Windows Media Player, all do the same thing. I reinstalled VLC and it still does the same thing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this may have something to do with me trying to transcode a video in Media Coder. It failed to transcode a video one night and I just said "oh well" and turned off the computer. The next day I couldn't display videos. I've already uninstalled Media Coder, but that didn't fix the problem.

I was thinking that maybe doing the System Restore would fix it. But I wanted to see what you all thought.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Try that link. I like the Zoom Media Player myself. I don't use WMP unless I have to. I even use Video Lan sometimes, especially since it plays Quicktime videos. If you have to stick with WMP, then go with Dazed's link.

I've never done anything with codecs, is there anything I should know before I download the xp codec pack?

Well, the codec pack didn't work, so I used the system restore to go back about 2 weeks, right before the problem arose. Never used system restore before, but I can play videos again, so it worked!

Back