Why can't I crack my own WEP key?

mell0

n00b
I downloaded a version of Backtrack (a Linux Live CD that contains all kinds of hacking tools) and decided to try it out against my own wireless network. My network is secured via 128-bit WEP.

I only have one machine (a laptop), so I used aireplay to generate ARP traffic and IVs. I also used airodump to capture this self-created traffic. After collecting over four million packets, I ran aircrack to see whether it would return my network's wireless key. It churned and churned (for over an hour), but it never got the key. Is cracking 128-bit WEP harder than people say it is? Why didn't my little exercise work?

I only have one machine (a laptop), so I used aireplay to generate ARP traffic and IVs. I also used airodump to capture this self-created traffic. After collecting over four million packets, I ran aircrack

But how many IV's ? They're what really matter

he didnt depict exactly how to do it.

i think this is a good conversation, with good intention, about a sicentifically conducted experiment against his own equipment.

Thing is, no offense meant, but how do you prove it is your own and not someone else's. There is no way, so we no not allow discussion of breaking anyone's encryption, password or anything pertaining to gaining entry to a secure whatever.

Thing is, no offense meant, but how do you prove it is your own and not someone else's. There is no way, so we no not allow discussion of breaking anyone's encryption, password or anything pertaining to gaining entry to a secure whatever.

I understand this reasoning. But, using the same reasoning, why do we help anyone with laptop problems? Does the poster have to prove that the laptop actually belongs to him?

I understand this reasoning. But, using the same reasoning, why do we help anyone with laptop problems? Does the poster have to prove that the laptop actually belongs to him?

Well unless he is trying to crack a Bios Password, or to disable GPS tracking then he is not asking for anything security releated. You are asking for help hacking a network, not asking for help trying to fix an actual problem. i really hope you understand the differance!

While the mere discussion of such techniques doesn't cross a brightline legal test for conspiracy, the context in which they're discussed does matter in determining facts and circumstances.

In other words, talking about it here is stupid. Besides, it's against the rules of the forum.

If you want a discussion where you'll get factual discussions from adults and won't get into trouble, try a forum like one of the ones on Security Focus or the ISSA.

The obvious solution so you're "safe" from this board's heavy handed protection of itself is simple:

Go to www.remote-exploit.org, the home of the BackTrack distribution, and join the forum there and ask. This place simply won't tolerate discussions of such things, whereas that one exists solely for that purpose and how to use BackTrack to its fullest.

yeah really....lets talk!, maybe the guys dont want to talk about it, because they don't have anything to bring to the table.

Well unless he is trying to crack a Bios Password, or to disable GPS tracking then he is not asking for anything security releated. You are asking for help hacking a network, not asking for help trying to fix an actual problem. i really hope you understand the differance!

Sure, I know there's no way to prove that it's my own network. It is, and you have to take me at my word. Then again, proving anything on the Internet is cumbersome.

Here's an analogy for you. What if someone stole my laptop, and he didn't know how to get past the Windows password? Would you help him find a Linux boot CD workaround? Sure you would; these kinds of things are discussed on the forums all the time. The person never has to prove that it's his laptop.

You could consider hacking into your own network fixing an actual problem. It's just the first step, determining if a problem exists. If your network is vulnerable enough that you can hack into it yourself, then there you now know you have a security vulnerability that needs to be fixed.

Sure, I know there's no way to prove that it's my own network. It is, and you have to take me at my word. Then again, proving anything on the Internet is cumbersome.

Here's an analogy for you. What if someone stole my laptop, and he didn't know how to get past the Windows password? Would you help him find a Linux boot CD workaround? Sure you would; these kinds of things are discussed on the forums all the time. The person never has to prove that it's his laptop.

Nope, if someone comes here looking for a way to bypass any type of security feature we dont help, or were not suppose to. If his laptop is not booting due to a curropt windows install then yes we help him. I am starting to wonder if your morals are so out of whack you cant see the differance!
This is not a forum for information on hacking anything! Period, drop your stupid arguments and go else where! you have already been told by a Form Moderator this is not to be discussed, they have enough work to do please stop trying to creat more!

You could consider hacking into your own network fixing an actual problem. It's just the first step, determining if a problem exists. If your network is vulnerable enough that you can hack into it yourself, then there you now know you have a security vulnerability that needs to be fixed.

That is true, heres how you fix it, go to a hard wire system, there is no other way to keep someone from hacking into your wireless, every single encryption method can be hacked.

Try a 64 bit one first
What happened to Auditor? No more new versions?:mad:

Auditor + Whax = BackTrack.

The two projects merged just over a year ago and the culmination of the projects became BackTrack, which is now up to v2.0 and better than ever. Far more capable than Auditor or Whax could have ever been on their own.

But again, a Mod has spoken in this thread, so you could consider that being "suitably warned" about this discussion from here on out... the BackTrack site and forums are the best sources for relevant discussion.

Back