Why can't I connect to my VPN?

hajalie24

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to create a VPN network on my PC so I can be on the same network while away. I did the new incoming connection in Network and sharing center, fowarded port 1273 on my computer, and made sure the firewall wasn't getting in the way (temporarily disabled it). When trying to connect to it from my laptop I enter the IP address that you find by googling "whats my ip". Enter my username and password and after a while of trying to connect I get an error code, either 619 or 800.

When on the same network and connecting straight to my local IP address it works fine on both my phone and laptop. What am I doing wrong?

You need to forward GRE as well. It is a protocol (47) not a port. Some cheap home routers won't let you do this though. Also, PPTP isn't a secure form of VPN anymore. You want at least L2TP. For something simple look into Hamachi. Easy to setup and no need to forward ports and protocols.

Just tried Hamachi, it seems to let me access my desktop, but I'm just trying to be be on the same network as all my devices back home. I don't think I'm able to forward GRE on my comcast modem/router, I'll have to look into it further when I get home.

Back