Why can't I connect to a public network?

DellAxim

Gawd
My town offers free wireless internet. I keep trying to connect using an Airlink+ USB 802.11g adapter and my tablet (win 2k), but it isn't working. The network is totally open, and in the site survey thing in the Airlink software it shows 100% signal strength. When I click the connect button it just says "connecting" forever but never really connects.

I can connect just fine to my own wireless network with the same setup. Any ideas why it won't connect to the public network?

Some kind of authentication is my guess. My company's free wireless we provide sends you to a captive portal page upon trying to connect, at which point you need to enter username/password before you're allowed to connect to anything other than our page.

Some kind of authentication is my guess. My company's free wireless we provide sends you to a captive portal page upon trying to connect, at which point you need to enter username/password before you're allowed to connect to anything other than our page.

Yeah...there's supposed to be something I have to agree too, but I can't even connect to get that. As far as I know there are no usernames/passwords necessary.

The official instructions are this:
1. If you do not already have one, get an 802.11b or 802.11g Wireless Network Device and install it on your computer.
(done)
2. Set your network connection to obtain an IP address dynamically (DHCP).
(done)
3. Set your ESSID to: www.sherwoodbroadband.com
(done)
4. Start your web browser and go to any Internet site.
(can't)
The Terms & Conditions page will appear. Read this page and if you agree, click the "I Agree" button.

Sounds like you you are able to find the network under the available networks tab.

Usually after a considerable amount of time your connection should say 100% signal with little or no connectivity after a failed attempt to get on the network.

Do you get the 169.x.x.x IP address at all?

What's up with the free internet for the whole town? It looks like just the library gives you access.

At times you may have to set the right channel but connecting to the network makes that automatic. Have you tried using a different network card?

Back