Why bother overclocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegisteredToPost

Limp Gawd
It's not like you'll see huge insane performance benefits from the extra 200 mhz you'll get from overclocking.

If you're buying in the top 75%, overclocking won't give you a huge boost in performance to begin with, and by the end of your processor's life cycle, it won't put you up to 'modern' standards anyway. So what the fuck is the point?

If you want to waste your time tweaking FSB/RAM latency settings and worrying about instability, go for it.

I attempted overclocking my opteron, I set it back to default settings because of instability. My hl2 server started hard crashing....more than once. Resetting settings to default fixed the problems. meh... Just my thoughts

true in most cases overclocking doesnt show much of an improvement, but some do get improvements if they buy budget procs or procs that are rated lower than average for current games to run well and oc em but yeah for people that have x2 4800 or opteron 175 and oc probably wont see much

i also found out hl2 / cs:s are very sensitive to oc's (ram oc's in my case :p would run memtest fine overnight and crash in cs:s)

lol come play on my computer with the stock speeds and then when I overclock...you can tell the difference...the computer is almost unbearable in Doom3/Quake4 with stock speeds, but runs them fine when OCed...just waiting for a new CPU and GPU and I wont OC them...for awhile at least lol...it is fun, and addicting! And no 200mhz might not be huge but 500-1000mhz is definetly big...otherwise why would u buy a 3.4ghz processor when a 2.4 would work just as fine...and with OCing the 2.4 can be a 3.4 :D For a fraction of the cost!

Well, if you get a x2 3800+ or Opteron 165, they OC to 2.5 to 2.6 easy, vs 2 ot 1.8 stock. That's a big diffrence if' I'd say! I'd much rather be getting 5.2ghz total out of my processer vs 3.6ghz. Not to mention this is running faster with a $330 procerrer then the $900 modles.

RegisteredToPost said:
It's not like you'll see huge insane performance benefits from the extra 200 mhz you'll get from overclocking.

If you're buying in the top 75%, overclocking won't give you a huge boost in performance to begin with, and by the end of your processor's life cycle, it won't put you up to 'modern' standards anyway. So what the fuck is the point?

If you want to waste your time tweaking FSB/RAM latency settings and worrying about instability, go for it.

I attempted overclocking my opteron, I set it back to default settings because of instability. My hl2 server started hard crashing....more than once. Resetting settings to default fixed the problems. meh... Just my thoughts

Im sorry but what I heard was "I messed up an overclock once so I see no sense in anyone else overclocking" :rolleyes:

"Im sorry but what I heard was "I messed up an overclock once so I see no sense in anyone else overclocking :rolleyes: "

I agree. This guy just didn't know what he was doin, said "what the heck" and overclocked anyways. Now hes got a dead cpu or something. As people have already stated, you can buy cheap cpus and overclock them to expensive cpus. For example, there are some that bought a X2 4400 and overclocked 200mhz. Is that a lot....No! But now they have an
X2 4800 and they paid 500bux and not 800bux :cool:

Or maybe it is overclocking a gpu. In my case it was buying an x850 pro agp and flashing it to an x850xt PE. Hmm I bought a card for $250 and got a $400 card with 5 minutes of work. I think it's worth it.

Overclocing your ram is also a way to increase your FPS in a game drammatically.

Doing these things :
*attempting to overclock cpu
*attempting to overclock/ flash GPU
*attempting to overclock Ram and have lower timings

Will easily give you a 10%-XX boost in your gaming, encoding, etc.

I'm sure you would like to have a 100bux in your pocket for doing 5mins work. Most people save a lot more and take that money to buy something else.

BTW, these things are not for nubs. You don't want a guy that has never attempted or read up on overclocking to try overclocking your pc. There are guides and if you have a problem you can ask. BUT DON'T COME IN HERE AND SAY THAT THERE IS NO POINT IN SOMETHING THAT SAVES A LOT OF PEOPLE MONEY.

RegisteredToPost said:

Damn, my computer must be way faster then yours and it's 100% stable 24/7. :D

J32P2006-06.png

And I have an X2 5050 now.

Let's all go back to dial-up, broadband is just too fast

actually the answer might suprise you

you dont know what the electromigration state of an IC is till you look and see

only limited testing was conducted at the factory, all you really know is that the chip(s) passed a basic test of a certain threshold of functionality, overclocking tells you more about what that state is, of course pushing it too far (voltage or heat) itself degrades the chip but you don't really know how dependable a chip is till you look ;)

thats the best reason I know to overclock
but I totally agree with bringing it back down afterwards
(or having a real killer thermal solution that brings the electromigration down to a stock order of effect)

Ive always been in this for the reliability

http://www.odyseus.nildram.co.uk/Systems_And_Devices_Files/Component Reliability Tutorial.pdf

I think its atleast once every month we see a thread like this one. Overclocking is like a hobby for most of us. Its something we enjoy kind of like a sport I guess? Overclocking is not for everyone as I think we all can agree on that note. Even if its 100mhZ @ an extra .0125 volts so what? I can't stand to be on my computer at stock speeds. With it oc'd it rips through any game; I can be folding @ 100% cpu load and still play games etc. I have read your last post/threads and see you have had problems with overclocking; trust me it can drive you up the wall but I guess that's what I love about it; and extra challenge. I got over 1000mhZ on my last oc stable. Thats 56% Overclock. I guess its ok with me if you CPU only last 10 years because of a little higher vcore.
Do some more research... Ice Czar put up a few kick ass links.

ven_2.jpg

Why overclock? Because it is there to do. Just like climbing mountains or, going where others dont go. Thats basically it.

fenderltd said:
I think its atleast once every month we see a thread like this one. Overclocking is like a hobby for most of us. Its something we enjoy kind of like a sport I guess? Overclocking is not for everyone as I think we all can agree on that note. Even if its 100mhZ @ an extra .0125 volts so what? I can't stand to be on my computer at stock speeds. With it oc'd it rips through any game; I can be folding @ 100% cpu load and still play games etc. I have read your last post/threads and see you have had problems with overclocking; trust me it can drive you up the wall but I guess that's what I love about it; and extra challenge. I got over 1000mhZ on my last oc stable. Thats 56% Overclock. I guess its ok with me if you CPU only last 10 years because of a little higher vcore.
Do some more research... Ice Czar put up a few kick ass links.

ven_2.jpg

No offense but do you have hte shittiest ram in the universe? My sig beats that Pi time by .5s. usually 32.5s

I do it because to me it's one of the funniest things to do! Almost as fun as the gaming. :p

Oh, and they don't really sell 3.0GHz A64's now do they. ;)

..... * leaves to try more volts.*........ :D

hmm but why do we here people claim they see improvement going from a 7800 GT to 7800 GTX? Or from a x2 3800+ to x2 4800+. For me the benefit of a 20 % CPU overclock is instantly noticeable. It makes it close to 20 % faster depending on application of course.

As for gaming overclocking the video card does make for a larger difference generally.
But overclocking until it get unstable, you get stutters and stuff is of course useless. But a 20 % overclock on todays CPU:s is quite achievable with good cooling. At least if you go for the lower rated CPU:s. x2 4800+ of course doesn´t overclock as well as a 165 Opteron. But if you want the performance of the X2 4800+ without paying for it overclocking is the way to do it ;). Surely you may need better cooling but still you can buy a damn Vapochill for the price of a 4800+...

RegisteredToPost said:

:rolleyes: My 3.06 northwood at %20 to 3.6 runs cooler by almost 5 degrees than stock speed. and feels way more smooth after 3.5.. So a $175 3.06 compared to a $600+ 3.6. I win. You lose. And going strong for 2 years now,
Sorry for you.
Do we need to overclock? no.
Can we overclock? YES.
Why? because its a challange. If I had 0 back up money I would more than likely stay stock..
You only live once.. Have fun doing it. I feel alot better telling someone My shit rocks at 3.6, rather than telling people I CANT..do it...

I have no backup money and I am putting a brand new opteron 170 without warranty on a dfi expert knowned as a real system killer. Now it can kill stuff overclocking or not so I can as well overclock ;)

Why install preformance parts into a car to make it run faster? Why not just get a Honda Insight to save on gas vs a nice big v8 or something? People overclock for many reasons.

One is to save money- you can buy a cheaper chip and make it run like a faster one in many cases and save a lot of cash. Same with people that unlock the extra pipes in video cards.

Two- people enjoy tweating things and making them faster. It is a hobby for many.

Three- people have added life to there systems by overclocking and spreading out there upgrades.

I could go on.

oqvist said:
hmm but why do we here people claim they see improvement going from a 7800 GT to 7800 GTX? Or from a x2 3800+ to x2 4800+. For me the benefit of a 20 % CPU overclock is instantly noticeable. It makes it close to 20 % faster depending on application of course.

As for gaming overclocking the video card does make for a larger difference generally.
But overclocking until it get unstable, you get stutters and stuff is of course useless. But a 20 % overclock on todays CPU:s is quite achievable with good cooling. At least if you go for the lower rated CPU:s. x2 4800+ of course doesn´t overclock as well as a 165 Opteron. But if you want the performance of the X2 4800+ without paying for it overclocking is the way to do it ;). Surely you may need better cooling but still you can buy a damn Vapochill for the price of a 4800+...

Yes, a good point too. People always say meh 1 or 2 fps, couple hundred MHz, yada yada... well if a couple of a hundred MHz is no big deal I don't even know why AMD and Intel would have a full product line. If I was buying stock cpus would it be meh whats a couple hundred MHz and get whatever? I doubt it.

A couple hundred MHz is a big deal. There is always a moment where the speed guys are thinking "I wish my computer was doing this faster." Never had a game stutter or encoded a video? All this day to day "feel" mumbo jumbo does not kill the deal. OCers/speed freaks just actively seek more performance.

Sounds like the OP just got disgrutled. 200 MHz is not much of a cpu OC, maybe mediocre if it was a high level chip or running stock volts. Very likely did not tweak the controls for the memory to allow the cpu to do it. It's really one of the bigger hurdles you learn as an overclocker. Sure this may be somewhat time consuming. Since memory settings are fickle and errors crash the system HARD. Proper tesitng is required. So yeah, if you don't want a new hobby, don't do it. This isn't about crank and go.

J32P2006 said:
Damn, my computer must be way faster then yours and it's 100% stable 24/7. :D

J32P2006-06.png

And I have an X2 5050 now.

Let's all go back to dial-up, broadband is just too fast
hey I got the same OC!

Almost.

Vengance_01 said:
Opteron [email protected] :eek: Thats about a 50% O/C and is faster than the upcomming 1000$ FX-60 chip, oh wait I only paided 330$. :D

Well I don't think it would be faster in some benchmarks. If it is, then what's the point of giving it the FX name, and also, the new M2 Socket might change things. Just stating my opinion :)

OldPueblo said:
$64 proc + oc = $359 proc for teh win! (2600+ --> 4000+)

If you run a hl2 server, you get awesome instability! Red team wins! I'm glad i got an opty 175, because i had to tune out my overclock to be able to run my server. Default is 2.2 so i'm still ok. Also, your guys' results aren't typical. Alot of people get crappy cores that dont really O/c very well

alik4041 said:
Well I don't think it would be faster in some benchmarks. If it is, then what's the point of giving it the FX name, and also, the new M2 Socket might change things. Just stating my opinion :)
Yes it will. These are the same chips in the new D/C FX lines. I also have a 245FSB@2/2/2/7 timmings and extra 100MHZ. It will be at least 5-10% faster :D I already pull 38K in 01, 19K 03, and will run 05 soon. This is with a X1800XT single card as well. :D

RegisteredToPost said:
If you run a hl2 server, you get awesome instability! Red team wins! I'm glad i got an opty 175, because i had to tune out my overclock to be able to run my server. Default is 2.2 so i'm still ok. Also, your guys' results aren't typical. Alot of people get crappy cores that dont really O/c very well
Not ture, these new weeks 546-547 have been gems most doing a min of 2.5 for ppl with haft a brain when it comes to O/Cing.

hmm, well i got an opty 175, 1gb of ballistix on an asus A8N premium, at 2.65. ram timings 34410 is 'prime stable' however when running hl2 dedicated server, it'll randomly crash, usually after an hour or so...Prime ran for a few hours.

RegisteredToPost said:
hmm, well i got an opty 175, 1gb of ballistix on an asus A8N premium, at 2.65. ram timings 34410 is 'prime stable' however when running hl2 dedicated server, it'll randomly crash, usually after an hour or so...Prime ran for a few hours.
and thats why you started this thread about overclocking... HL2 dedicated servers in my exp. are anything but stable. Dont hate the OC baby
:D

it's kind of like working on cars.

about 25 years ago i had a friend who was a total gifted car freak.

he had a 1000 pound dune buggy with a 200 horse engine.

he had a 3200 pound 67-68 candy apple red camaro with a 400 horse engine.

(the insurance companies counted anything with a weight-to-power ratio of 20 or more as a "muscle car" -- good thing we don't have to have insurance for overclocking !)

anyway, i guess he was one of the most car-tinkering-est persons i've met.

i think it's kind of the same with OC'ing.

i don't know why it feels good to buy some Mushkin Level II 2-2-2-5 and increase my P4 from 3.0 to 3.3. but it does - and knock on wood it's stable as heck !

the psychologists say that our dopamine levels increase in our brain when we contemplate buying stuff - it makes us feel good.

and thats why you started this thread about overclocking... HL2 dedicated servers in my exp. are anything but stable. Dont hate the OC baby
i agree about the HL2 server instability.

fenderltd said:

on another note... who told you prime stable meant system stable? prime is a good indicator and gets you close but you still have to go deeper and test other programs/games. i can prime for days at 2.82 but i cant even play cs:s for 30 seconds at that speed. in short if you dont really know what you are doing you should stick to stock speeds. have fun spending all that money.

swatbat said:
Why install preformance parts into a car to make it run faster? Why not just get a Honda Insight to save on gas vs a nice big v8 or something? People overclock for many reasons.

One is to save money- you can buy a cheaper chip and make it run like a faster one in many cases and save a lot of cash. Same with people that unlock the extra pipes in video cards.

Two- people enjoy tweating things and making them faster. It is a hobby for many.

Three- people have added life to there systems by overclocking and spreading out there upgrades.

I could go on.

4000+ stock

2400MHz
MY OC - 2880

you CANtell the difference

eeeh. Did you say you could run prime for some hours? If it fails in prime it´s not stable. And with game coding not being stellar it will show in games as well if you fail in prime ;).

Lower the overclock until you can run at least 12 hours prime without errors and then try again

I've also noticed that windows boots faster at default speeds. Programs load quicker and the os is ready to use faster than the O/c configuration.

Seems to me this is just a waste of an argument. The OP is just completely ignoring all facts and examples thrown at him and returning with "Well for me.... my hl2 server didnt work and windows boots faster so I obviously know what Im talking about"

OP: Did you ever stop to realize every 200mhz OCed saves you approx $150 from buying the next best stock CPU?

Wait, foolish me, you obviously know everything about overclocking and performance gains.

Or how about this one, did you ever think to make a thread asking **why** your overclock became unstable instead of ranting about how useless it is because of your own stupid mistakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back