Why AS5?

buzzard34

Gawd
I just bought an ArcticCooler ATISilencer2 and I remember someone (think it was IceWind) telling me not to use the included thermal paste and get AS5 instead. Why? How superior is silver thermal compund to silicone-based compund? and are the temp differences that great?

buzzard34 said:
I just bought an ArcticCooler ATISilencer2 and I remember someone (think it was IceWind) telling me not to use the included thermal paste and get AS5 instead. Why? How superior is silver thermal compund to silicone-based compund? and are the temp differences that great?
i suggest you google "thermal compound roundup" to see for yourself; however, AS has silver in it, a better heat conductor than other silicone-based compounds, so most people consider it superior

if i remember correctly, the temperature difference was a few (4?) degrees centigrade

i myself run AS5; i'd say go ahead and get it if you can

Carnival Forces said:
i suggest you google "thermal compound roundup" to see for yourself; however, AS has silver in it, a better heat conductor than other silicone-based compounds, so most people consider it superior

if i remember correctly, the temperature difference was a few (4?) degrees centigrade

i myself run AS5; i'd say go ahead and get it if you can

I take it that translates roughly into 15 degrees Farenheit? I guess its worth the 11 bucks down at compUSSR then. :D

F = (9/5)C + 32
F-32 = (9/5)C
(F-32)*(5/9)=C

i think that's right.

lol, comp USSR; yeah, i'd buy it.

Carnival Forces said:
F = (9/5)C + 32
F-32 = (9/5)C
(F-32)*(5/9)=C

i think that's right.

lol, comp USSR; yeah, i'd buy it.

by our superior combined calculations than that is 39.2 degrees farenheit. And i call it compUSSr that thanks to members of this forum and the fact that they all wear red shirts there.

Not to hijack but things like this really make me remember when I was sooooo excited when As2 came out, and the wars on thermat paste were on

well, not to rain on anyone's parade, but.....

the difference between as5, properly applied, and the generic stuff, properly applied, is more like 2C.

a lot of people take off the stock thermal compoud on a factory installed component, or worse yet, a thermal pad, and move up to AS5 and go, WOW, a 5 C temp drop! that's huge! which is true, however that usually has more to do with the application than the thermal compound used.

the fact of the matter is that, when comparing proper application to proper application, there is very little temp difference.

now, to be honest, i use AS5 and AS ceramique myself, to get the most out of my cooling hardware, however i know damn well that it doesn't make THAT big of a difference. i look at the maybe $3 CDN extra, as compared to the generic stuff at the store, and i don't really feel the need to skimp, even if the difference is minimal.

I agree with the last poster 100%. I'd also like to add the fact that it's a very simple improvement to make compared to a new or better heatsink or fan, and it takes up no more space or power. No downside. Most things have downsides, this doesn't. (aside from $8)

Decker87 said:
I agree with the last poster 100%. I'd also like to add the fact that it's a very simple improvement to make compared to a new or better heatsink or fan, and it takes up no more space or power. No downside. Most things have downsides, this doesn't. (aside from $8)

QFT

if you're going to shell out for it, svc has it for a lot less than compusa, w' free first class shipping or whatever, summat like six bucks I think?
that said, artic cooling mx-1 is bonerific.

Back