Why are so many hoping for a "BF2 killer" game?

WhyYouLoveMe

Supreme [H]ardness
I've seen countless posts lamenting for the "BF2 killer". I really don't understand the passion for this "BF2 killer" to be released. First off I don't even know what that means. I understand people's angst agains the bugginess that is BF2 and it's many idiots that play online (including me sometimes) but why would a new game "kill" it? Does it need to be killed? It's incredibly popular and IMHO it's a blast to play. I'm looking forward to new games (QW:ET, Crysis, UT07) coming out like everyone else but I just don't get this whole "kill BF2" thing. lol

Enlighten me!

i dont know sure bf2 has its flaws but its still a good game.

people are looking for the next big game that will takeover the bf2 community...like bf2 did to the desert combat community.. and some wish it will not be from EA mainly because of the slow release of patches , the booster pack( no new map in patches , you need to pay for those) , the neverending bugginess of the game and the way they killed Trauma studios.

EA is the cancer of gaming

check out what the old team of trauma is working on

http://www.frontlineswar.com/

http://www.frontlineswar.com/images/news/KAOS_FFOW_RS_AntiAir.jpg

I do remember liking the look of that frontlines one when I saw it a while ago, even if the screens led me to believe it was still running ont he BF42 engine...

I think the reason people want a BF2-killer is because they acknowledge what a superb game BF2 is, in its varied gameplay elements and styles, and the fun that that affords (especially coupled with the character persistence), but cannot just pick it up and become pr0 l33tness within minutes, as you would with something as simplistic as Counterstrike or CoD (don't get me wrong, I love CoD games - CS:S is a load of cock - but it's simpler in its gameplay).
This can be frustrating, and I know it was for me, coming late to the scene, wanting to play a game desparately, even one you'd built an expensive new PC for, but being raped over and over every time you connected. What people seem not to realise is that this happens to everyone, and by persevering you're rewarded with experience and unlocks which further contribute to gameplay.

However, for the ADHD-suffering pre-pubescent crowd, which seems to be pretty much 95% of the online gaming community, this is too mcuh to ask, hence the silliness around the BF2 francise.

That's not to say it's not buggy, but for the love of god it IS blown out of all proportion - i've encountered the "red-tag bug" once, and that's about it. No more so than anything else, but golly, it sure is fun to rant about something just because you don't win all the time.

EDIT: come to think of it, i'm seeing similar nonsense abotu Starforce and I really don't know why. What does it supposedly do?

arr4ws said:
people are looking for the next big game that will takeover the bf2 community...like bf2 did to the desert combat community.. and some wish it will not be from EA mainly because of the slow release of patches , the booster pack( no new map in patches , you need to pay for those) , the neverending bugginess of the game and the way they killed Trauma studios.

EA is the cancer of gaming

check out what the old team of trauma is working on

http://www.frontlineswar.com/

http://www.frontlineswar.com/images/news/KAOS_FFOW_RS_AntiAir.jpg
I gotta agree with Arr4ws here. What they did to those guys was really fucked up, if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have BF2 today. I play BF2 because I like it and I'm good at it, but the main reason is there is no such multiplayer right now on the market like BF2 so I'm sticking to it till the next big thing hits the market (hint: QW)... I'm really on the edge just quit playing it right now, ever since vacation started the game feels like it's infested with noobs.
I'll just give them (EA/DICE) one more chance with 1.4 patch when it comes to bugs and crashes.

I want BF3 to kill BF2. :) I'm totally addicted to BF2 but I have to admit that lately I've become very frustrated with the server dumps and CTD's. If it didn't take so long to connect to the account server and load the first map it prolly wouldn't bother me so much. Oh well, at least it gives me time to take a leak and grab another beer.

Volume said:
Why would you need a BF2-killer game when EA killed BF2 itself.

Yes that's a very cute, "in" thing to say but there's no shred of truth to it. BF2 remains as one of the most popular FPS online games today. EA, despite its shortcomings, continues to provide support and booster packs for it. In addition, the next patch (1.4) will include another free map.

Booby McNipples said:
Oh well, at least it gives me time to take a leak and grab another beer.

Ever notice that you score goes up after 2 or 3 beers? I get on rampages until maybe at the 6 or 7 beer mark, then it is all down hill ;)

I have said it before and I will say it again: Use v1.22 I have not had a CTD and only rarely to I loose connection to a server (only prob is less severs, but you actually start recognizing the noobs you kill and the pricks that keep killing you).

Coldtronius said:
<removed>

How has it "fucked uped the BF series", please? I've not heard any complaints about anything besides BF2. Also, examples of the bugs that plagued you into not playing, and then an example of another game which doesn't do similar. My Steam CTD to BF2 CTD ratio, for example.

Coldtronius said:
<removed>

Right, yeah, so childish words tossed aside please examine the facts:

1. When a game is played by hundreds of thousands of players around the world
2. When you can find thousands upon thousands of servers at any given time to play on
3. When a game is played at every major LAN event
4. When a game is in the top ten for sales every month for a year
5. When a game has garnered a huge fan/clan base in internet land

I believe these reasons encompass more than "the dedicated or truly unpicky".

What did EA do to you: take your birthday away?

I've been playing BF2 since the demo. 2 things piss me off about it. First is the retarded quality control. We've already had a bad patch back in July IIRC, causing a memory leak that forced servers to restart several times a day or it would lag like hell. Now with 1.3 we get a server crash every 2 rounds or so and client crashes are pretty common aswell. Gotta love it when you finally get some peeps on the [H] server and the fucking server crashes because of 1.3.

Second, BF2 is really sluggish compared to other online shooters. In games like CS:S, DOD:S, COD, etc. the game feels smooth and generally there isn't a ton of lag. Even when gunning in a tank with another player in COD:UO it feels smooth. In BF2 even when you're getting 60+FPS and 20ping and riding in a jeep for another player with a similar ping, the game decides to warp you around the vicinity of the jeep for the first 5 seconsd. It ruins immersion like no other.

So since BF2 is the "big dog" of its type and it's just so darned popular it needs to be taken down. That's essentially what I'm gathering.

Because Battlefield 2 is a great concept done really, really sloppily.

Modern day weapons and vehicles... but in Battlefield 2 it just doesn't work. The weapons are far too inaccurate, the classes are not very well-designed (what exactly is the Assault class for ???), and overall it's just a big mess. Very buggy, very poor performance, very unbalanced.

Desert Combat did it better, and it's a mod for a four+ year old game.

Why I want BF2 Killed:

1) EA is a tyrant, making us pay for updates that come free with other games
2) EA/Dice fuck up every patch, and cause MORE bugs with each patch. It's like they have NO QA team at all.
3) EA/Dice is slow to update patches (not like they work anyways)
4) EA/Dice is very slow to update the community, only when 'forced'
5) EA/Dice does not listen to the people that will keep the game alive (clans), just the homo ass 14y/o pubbers who whine about everything
6) Every patch changes gameplay in some way, not minorly, majorly. Some weapon is weakened, some armor is weakened, some cars are added, it's retarded.
7) The game is incredibly buggy. Tons of bugs from BF1942 still exist to this day (like pressing E while talking in-game exists you from a vehicle)
8) Hacking, PB/EA/Dice have done NOTHING to stop the hacking, i.e. the 1 shot kills with people rolling on the ground.
9) The stats system, altho cool, it causes more problems than anything, but in reality its probably what has kept this game going. The stats system was not thought out very well, it's a greedy system. Points should be based on team-objective points, and not the individual.
10) Poor game performance. This game wreaks of the 1942 engine with hyped up textures. They really needed to do a re-write of the full engine, not a spruce up.

v6maro said:
8) Hacking, PB/EA/Dice have done NOTHING to stop the hacking, i.e. the 1 shot kills with people rolling on the ground.
That's a hack? I thought it's a bug, but it explains a lot.

and good point about PB.

v6maro said:
Why I want BF2 Killed:

1) EA is a tyrant, making us pay for updates that come free with other games
2) EA/Dice fuck up every patch, and cause MORE bugs with each patch. It's like they have NO QA team at all.
3) EA/Dice is slow to update patches (not like they work anyways)
4) EA/Dice is very slow to update the community, only when 'forced'
5) EA/Dice does not listen to the people that will keep the game alive (clans), just the homo ass 14y/o pubbers who whine about everything
6) Every patch changes gameplay in some way, not minorly, majorly. Some weapon is weakened, some armor is weakened, some cars are added, it's retarded.
7) The game is incredibly buggy. Tons of bugs from BF1942 still exist to this day (like pressing E while talking in-game exists you from a vehicle)
8) Hacking, PB/EA/Dice have done NOTHING to stop the hacking, i.e. the 1 shot kills with people rolling on the ground. (for the 9 millionth time the rolling on the ground is an animation, not a bug, not a hack, not a cheat - anyone who prones while moving sideways displays this animation) And it's not 1 shot, 1 kill unless you're hit in the head. So... shoot at the head. (and only with certain weapons)
9) The stats system, altho cool, it causes more problems than anything, but in reality its probably what has kept this game going. The stats system was not thought out very well, it's a greedy system. Points should be based on team-objective points, and not the individual.
10) Poor game performance. This game wreaks of the 1942 engine with hyped up textures. They really needed to do a re-write of the full engine, not a spruce up.

One thing I gather from all that is you play the game quite a bit. So... why do you want your $50 to "be killed"?

1. 2 free maps (1 in the next patch), 2 free unlocks, there's no monthly fee, the boosters are a whopping $10
2. Somewhat true - The patches have fixed many more bugs than they have created. The bugs are now magnified because of the sheer number of players in BF2.
3. Slower than some, faster than others. I don't have a problem with the timing of their patches. It's a huge freakin' game with a ridiculous number of people playing it. It's just a mammoth job to keep up.
4. Again, slower than some and faster than others.
5. Ok this one seems to be true. Personally, I wouldn't have changed the gameplay from the beginning. The game is completely different since shipping.
6. Yep. True. (see #5)
7. "incredibly" - More buggy than some, less buggy than others. Again everything is magnified due to the number of people playing/posting.
8. Totally false. EA/Dice does quite a bit to detour cheating like resetting stats, banning IDs, removing ranked server providers and providing a good way to report cheaters. (see EA forums)
9. Yes and no. Stats are what they are - stats. It's a measuring stick of one's skill and time played in the game. You can't really "team-focus" the stats completely or half of players will not play. (the deathmatch-type crowd) I think the stat system should never have been put in place at all. Let the players play and forget the numbers. EA is making good cash on the ranked servers and was a brilliant marketing move to charge for stat-providing servers.
10. Aside from the loading times the game runs well and scales well. I don't see a big performance issue with this game.

All that being said I still don't get why people want a game to die when they still play it and paid for it.

Superfly3176 said:
LOL at this.

People are still effectively waiting for a diablo 2 killer.

c'mon , there is a ton of FPS , and not a lot of diablo 2 kinda game comin out

My biggest problem with EA is there server system. Becuase of stats and only getting stats on official servers there are no well known custom maps. What does this mean you have to play the same freaking map over and over again unless you can find an unranked server that happens to have custom maps and people who are willing to not have stats play. The thing that kept me playing tribes games for 5-6 years was that there was a huge community of modders/mappers and you would get 10-20 competitive level maps each year. This made the game fun rather then playing karkand or kubra for the millionth time.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Yes that's a very cute, "in" thing to say but there's no shred of truth to it. BF2 remains as one of the most popular FPS online games today. EA, despite its shortcomings, continues to provide support and booster packs for it. In addition, the next patch (1.4) will include another free map.
It being the "in" thing to say doesn't automatically dismiss it as false one. I personally feel this way toward EA and how they've always been neglecting the bigger issues in the series, focusing ONLY on minor bug fixes (in which the large bugs remain) and on awful "booster packs" that just suck more money from their customers after they've already paid $50 for an unpolished product.

Please, spare me the childish "bandwagon" accusations. People do have reasons for their stances.

Volume said:
It being the "in" thing to say doesn't automatically dismiss it as false one.

You're right. Now read the rest of the sentence and I continue to say "EA killed BF2" is false. If you uncheck all your in-game filters and update your server list how many servers do you see? Now tell me BF2 is "killed".

I loved the style of gameplay in the BattleField games, wasn't too attached to 1942, but Vietnam got me hooked, #2 was great but after experiencing all the stress with vietnam and now having to deal with the lame bugs in BF2 i'd almost rather not play it

What i'm hoping for is a game that has the same great gameplay, just not done so sloppily, giving me the same dynamic effect but not have to wait for a patch to come in 3-4 months down the rode.

I don't care if BF2 goes down in flames and EA chokes on a peice of spicey meat, i really don't care how other games faire in the market or continue to do, I never got too attached to games or their respective companies (I did with quake2 but that was it), if anything I'd rather have games stay around that helps develop other gaming communities, like the world nets and the planet nets (which i think merged) as well as the forum communities or other MP communities (heat.net, sony's, westwoods oldschool).

Here's how I see it. I spent $50 for the game, $25 for Special Forces and $20 for the 2 other booster packs. Many, many other people have done the same or a combination of the packs. Why, again, do we want our money to go to waste by "killing BF2"? That's what I'm getting at. Folks are so hungry to see death and destruction rained upon EA/Dice/BF2 but all they're hoping for is their hard earned money be wasted. That is confusing to me. :confused:

I want to see a BF 2 killer becuase, well... so I dont have to play BF 2. :p

There are no other games out right now that directly compete with BF 2, there have been some poor attemps tho...

BF2 needs some heavy competion. Only then will EA really try to make it a better game. I feel Quake Wars will do the job nicely, when it comes out.

BF 2142 is going to have to be a hell of alot better than BF 2 for me to buy it, but thats another topic...

Here's how I see it. I spent $50 for the game, $25 for Special Forces and $20 for the 2 other booster packs. Many, many other people have done the same or a combination of the packs. Why, again, do we want our money to go to waste by "killing BF2"? That's what I'm getting at. Folks are so hungry to see death and destruction rained upon EA/Dice/BF2 but all they're hoping for is their hard earned money be wasted. That is confusing to me.

meh i see the rabbid followers that want to join the bandwagon of killing off EA and their battle field games, i just ignore them, quick easy don't have to deal with the headaches

theres no reason for the game to go away, the game wasn't nearly as bad as alot of other games, the only difference is now the game is fun and they want it perfect, only its supported by a company that won't spend alot of their resources to fix these problems. Game sold, is being played, only forum goers are complaining why bother? they got their money, their game is being played, no real threats have been sent to them...

i don't see as the majority of the people wanting to see a BF2 killer as a way to kill the game, i think they want to kill off the bad support and just aren't expressing themselves correctly

In response to the original question: Why would anyone not want to see a "BF2 killer"?

If you already enjoy BF2, then you're getting a better game to play instead, which is good. If you didn't enjoy BF2, then you're getting a game that you might want to play, which is also good. Either way, you're getting a better game.

jimmyb said:
In response to the original question: Why would anyone not want to see a "BF2 killer"?

If you already enjoy BF2, then you're getting a better game to play instead, which is good. If you didn't enjoy BF2, then you're getting a game that you might want to play, which is also good. Either way, you're getting a better game.

Best answer yet... lol

Wally said:
That's called semantic pedantry and is not impressive.
As silly as it may have sounded, I was actually being serious. I can't think of a good reason why anyone would not want a better game to come along and "kill" BF2.

Yeah, it's fair enough, only sensible answer thus far - even if it was a bit of a "cleverdick" one... :p

WhyYouLoveMe said:
Here's how I see it. I spent $50 for the game, $25 for Special Forces and $20 for the 2 other booster packs. Many, many other people have done the same or a combination of the packs. Why, again, do we want our money to go to waste by "killing BF2"? That's what I'm getting at. Folks are so hungry to see death and destruction rained upon EA/Dice/BF2 but all they're hoping for is their hard earned money be wasted. That is confusing to me. :confused:
It's because EA will continue to ask for more and more undeserved money.

Back