Why are people picky about LCD Brightness and Viewing Angles?

Volume

2[H]4U
This isn't an insult to those who are picky about these issues, as I'm honestly curious. I've read about people saying they like their LCD dim, and others that they like it very bright. Are there advantages/disadvantages in either?

Also, viewing angles. Shouldn't a viewing angle not be an issue as long as you've got the monitor located in front of you?

in re viewing angles. it's a nice little bonus to have a wide viewing angle without washed out and dark color. it's useful for when you have people over or when you need to glance at your monitor for a piece of info from the side. imo, not a deal breaker for computer use, but def. for tv use.

as far as brightness, it hurts my eyes when the lcd is too bright (even at lowest settings). this is mainly an issue in low light night time scenarios.

That right there just about summed it all up for me. Thanks.

I must be one of those crazy bastards that wants everything on FULL even if it means pain. I'll be sure to crank up the brightness. Will that kill the backlight more quickly or anything?

Having an LCD with narrow viewing angles doesn't mean "it's perfect as long as it's located in front of you". TN panels have such narrow viewing angles that even if you sit directly in front of the screen the top of the screen looks noticeably darker than the bottom. I don't really care about the actual angle at which I can look at the monitor since I am located in front of it most of the time. I just want the picture to be as uniform as possible when I do so and that is not possible with LCD screens that have narrow viewing angles.

As for brightness, as dano1122 said, an LCD that is too bright may be an issue in low light conditions. That's why I like LCDs that are neither too bright nor too dim.

i dont care about te brightness, i actually find LCD too bright. hate it when manufacturer claim their LCD's contrast is >500:1. if the result achieve is by keep turning up the brightness, its useless. who wants to look straight at spotlight? 500cd/m2 brightness but black is at 1cd/m2....we need true deep black, if they can achieve black like CRT, 100cd/m2 is enough. for that they can claim 10,000:1 since 100/0.01cd/m2 is 10,000. having bright blacklight in other word means the black would not be as dark--the backlight is always on, the liquid crystal is used to block light but the result never perfect--complete opposite of CRT that need light beam to excite the phosphor to produce image.

maybe i too use to CRT, until now i still couldnt accept the image contrast will change when i turn my head or body position. i only ask for perfectly consistent contrast up/down/left/right 45 degree, beyond that are pointless in computer usage but even ~15 degree i saw the color change on my VP191, not faded like TN but theres difference....

the brightness isn't the problem. You have a freaking light bulb behind the screen. How can it not be bright? (Too bright, yeah that could be a problem.)

No, the problem is contrast. And muddy blacks.

Back