• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Why are my temps so high?

M76

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
15,504
I have a CM Nepton 140XL AIO cooler. In a very well ventilated case. basically the Radiator has it's own compartment with 4 fans providing air flow.

With a 6800K running at 4.3Ghz 1.35V

The ambient temp is 24C Temp inside the case is 26C

But my CPU idle temp is 49C.

That seems extremely high to me. The pump is running at maximum speed, the fans are running @1100Rpm, which is slightly slower than the 7V test used in this test for example.

According to this the idle temp shouldn't be more than 10C over ambient. Still I'm getting 25C over that.

I've taken off the water block 3 times already to make the mounting better. I've even bent the retainers backwards to give more pressure (that actually helped about 2-3C it used to be over 50) I've spread the thermal paste in a thin perfectly even layer on both the water block and the cpu with an old credit card.

So WTF is going on?

Under load individual cores spike to 80-82C almost immediately.

These temperatures are worse than I should get with an air cooler.
 
There has got to be something going on with that cooler. I have a 6850k I run at 4.5Ghz using a Koolance 390i block and it never breaks 60C under load with ambient at 28C. Do you have any other coolers laying around you could try?
 
There has got to be something going on with that cooler. I have a 6850k I run at 4.5Ghz using a Koolance 390i block and it never breaks 60C under load with ambient at 28C. Do you have any other coolers laying around you could try?

I only have a very old cooler, that has no 2011 mounts. But I think it could be mounted with some zip ties. I've tried it on an older x79 system and it worked. It's like this. Of course I don't know if that cooler could handle a 140W CPU. Guess it could do it, it's 700G and has copper fins.


How much fluid is in the cooler?
It's a closed system, no maintenance possible. So it's impossible to tell, there is no reservoir, not even a peek hole to check fluid level. But I guess all aio coolers are like that.
 
There has got to be something going on with that cooler. I have a 6850k I run at 4.5Ghz using a Koolance 390i block and it never breaks 60C under load with ambient at 28C. Do you have any other coolers laying around you could try?
What are you using to read the temps anyway? And what is 60C? The package temp, the CPU temp, or individual cores temperature? I'm using CPUID HWmonitor.

Meanwhile I found that speedstep wasn't working and after getting it running. So the CPU actually downclocks IDLE temperature dropped to around 29 for the cores and 39 for the package. Don't know why is there a 10 C difference there though. Seems physically impossible that the inside of the cpu would be cooler than the outside. So the reading can't be very accurate here.

But the strange thing is, that now the under load temperatures also decreased by about the same amount. So now it tops out under 100% load at 71C when rendering.

I just don't get it.
 
1.35 volts is getting on the higher side of things , so I'd imagine a large part of the temps is from that ., even at idle .

If I run my 5930k at 1.3v (@ 4.5) and possibly above , my temps ramp up fast compared to @ 4.4 1.25v ; easily 10-15c+ difference on a Corsair H100i GTX .

Also , is your cpu set in the bios with C-states on or off in the bios ? C-states "off" means the cpu runs full blast all the time ; no variable ramping up/down .
 
I was running 1.3v on my CPU for a year and never saw temps the OP is seeing, albeit in a custom loop. But to stereo55's point, maybe turn the OC off to eliminate that from the equation. I suspect there is an issue with the cooler. It's possible the pump is running but not moving any liquid, or, as already suggested, there is not enough liquid in the cooler.
 
I was running 1.3v on my CPU for a year and never saw temps the OP is seeing, albeit in a custom loop. But to stereo55's point, maybe turn the OC off to eliminate that from the equation. I suspect there is an issue with the cooler. It's possible the pump is running but not moving any liquid, or, as already suggested, there is not enough liquid in the cooler.
As per my last post it is not that easy. As soon as speedstep is enabled the load temps dropped considerably too. Even though voltage wasn't reduced. It's only my luck that I get bad chips all the time. This is probably 5th in a row, that I got a dud. If I'm not counting the AMDs before that since those were expected to be bad OCers.

According to asus's oc guide. 75% of chips will do stable 4.3Ghz at 1.35V 20% will do 4.4Ghz, and 5% will only do 4.2 @ 1.35. Guess my lucky hands got me into the 5% group. :( As I need 1.377 to be stable during rendering at 4.3.
 
Last edited:
It's a closed system, no maintenance possible. So it's impossible to tell, there is no reservoir, not even a peek hole to check fluid level. But I guess all aio coolers are like that.

Shake the radiator a bit and listen to how mush sloshing there is. You could also weigh the AIO, though you'd have to find out the empty and full weights.
 
What are you using to read the temps anyway? And what is 60C? The package temp, the CPU temp, or individual cores temperature? I'm using CPUID HWmonitor.

Meanwhile I found that speedstep wasn't working and after getting it running. So the CPU actually downclocks IDLE temperature dropped to around 29 for the cores and 39 for the package. Don't know why is there a 10 C difference there though. Seems physically impossible that the inside of the cpu would be cooler than the outside. So the reading can't be very accurate here.

But the strange thing is, that now the under load temperatures also decreased by about the same amount. So now it tops out under 100% load at 71C when rendering.

I just don't get it.

60C was package temp. Individual cores can sometimes get to 63C during stress testing but never stay there too long. I was using HWMonitor as well. At idle the chip shows temps at ambient or 1C higher for package and across all cores (core one and two temps fluctuate slightly as Windows does background stuff.)

EDIT: I don't use AIO systems but for other liquid setups I would look for air pockets in the block creating hotspots and areas of poor cooling. I'd let the pump run (without the board and such being powered up obviously) and tap the block and tubing to knock loose any air bubbles that were caught up in the system. I don't know if AIO systems have this sort of problem and without a reservoir I'm not sure how you'd get the air out of the lines and prevent it from recirculating. If the coolant in the system is low I guess it could be part of the problem though.
 
Last edited:
Shake the radiator a bit and listen to how mush sloshing there is. You could also weigh the AIO, though you'd have to find out the empty and full weights.
Since now the temperatures are consistent with what one would expect from a mid range aio running silent, I think that's no longer necessary. 71C under load with 1.38 Vcore seems about right to me. I just wonder why speedstep would affect temperature at full load.
 
There has got to be something going on with that cooler. I have a 6850k I run at 4.5Ghz using a Koolance 390i block and it never breaks 60C under load with ambient at 28C. Do you have any other coolers laying around you could try?

That is hardly irrelevant to the OP.
 
Back
Top