Why are my network file transfers only hitting 11.4 MB/s on Win 10?

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I did the upgrade on all my systems and now on my GIGaBIT Network I peak at 11,4 MB/s before win 10 I was getting 60 to 80 MB/s WTF is going on? turned off anti malware, Connections show 1gb . changed large offload to disable both ivp 4 and 6. set full duplex 1gb. I am begining to despise win 10 more and more..........

What systems are you running? Like hardware wise? 60 to 80 even sounds low to me unless you are running some older 5400 RPM drives. Also, what type and size of files are you transferring? For example, when moving movie files around on my disks, the WD black will average 140 to 150 while writing to it, while the Seagate enterprise and WD reds settle down to around 100ish. The SSD transfers are quite a bit more than both of these spinning disks. I just replaced a 2TB WD red drive with a 5 TB WD black, and transferring all of the data from the red to the black 1.7TB averaged around 135ish...

I am talking about movies mp4 avis h264 files from one computer to another sometimes I move steam files to another computer. this is across the network (wired) in my house...

yep yep, so files between 500 MB and 10 GB, so large files. They should be transferring around 100 MB/s on your home wired network. Can you post some system specs for the source and target systems? What network switch are you using? Have you modified your network transfers in any other way besides what you mentioned above, like enabling jumbo frames and such?

Amd T1055 6 core w 8GB ram 1 boot 80GB Intel ssd,realtek 1GB ethernet. 5 3TB seagate HDDs win 10
Hp envy I7 laptop with 16 gb ram 240ssd and 2TB hard drive 64GB of the ssd is used for Cache. Realtek 1GB ethernet. win 10
I5 6500 w 16gb ram Gtx 1070 2 PNY SSD, 1 sandisk ssd, Intel 1219 ethernet, Win 10
Linksys WRT 1900 AC router. I haven't needed to mess with any of what I did in the past. should I enable jumbo frames? All three won't go past 11.4
I have other machines. but don't use them very often. I would think results would be no different . Router has latest firmware.
Also have five IP cameras on lan via ethernet cable plus daughter's laptop upstairs and couple of android tablet wireless from Linksys...
Never had any speed issues with 7 or 8.1..
I got the same results transferring from or to any of the machines they were all updated to 10 on the last week of july....
Rebooting router no change......

There is definitely a problem as those systems should be transferring data quite a bit faster than what you are getting currently. Would it be possible to unplug one of the systems from the switch and test again, also possible to test a different network cable and turn off wireless on the router for testing. There are lots of possible issues, including a windows issue, but it seems unlikely. See if you can eliminate all but two devices on the router and test again. If the speeds are the same you can turn wireless back on and plug everything back in. The jumbo frame thing should be turned off I believe, so leave it off for now.

Jumbo frames might help, but make sure it's enabled on your router, switch and all other devices. Generally it only causes problems when it's enable on one device but not the other. If it's all off, or all on, it's fine.

I know I'm on Win10 on several machines, and everything is working at full speed, capping 110-112MB/s here, but everything I'm using has Intel NICs. So I don't think it's a Windows specific issue. It may be an issue with the drivers though. Does Realtek have an updated driver for your machine? Do you get over 11MB/s when you go wireless-to-wireless device? Or wiredless-to-wired?

Yeah I figured it out there are two switches in my living room totally forgot they were even there.When I went to disconnect one of the RJ 45 I remembered. Anyway unplugged the power waited 30 seconds repowered Wham!! ethernet jumped back to 90 MB/s. Been screwing around too much with win 10 lately little burnt out. Anyway speed is back where it should be. Anyway thanks for your help in this.....

Back