Why -AR vs. -AK in EVGA GTX570 cards?

MikeSp

Weaksauce
I have always used ATI (AMD) video cards and just purchased a GTX570 HD recommended by the salesman since EVGA is (was?) famous for their lifetime warranties and Microcenter's selection of AMD cards is nothing to brag about. It was a tough switch for me, over to the Nvidia camp.

Because I lacked a few components for this new computer build and was awaiting their arrival, I did some additional research and found that there are at least two "versions" of this same card -- the one whose catalog number ends in -AK has a 3 year warranty (and can be extended with additional payment to EVGA) and the other version's catalog number ends in -AR which carries the lifetime warranty. The specs appear basically identical.

What is the difference between these two GTX570 cards that results in one having a lifetime warranty and one with a 3 year warranty?? This has me thinking of going back to the AMD side because it just sounds to me like there is less confidence by EVGA in the -AK versions like they were B stock.

What am I missing here?

Thoughts/opinions??

Thanks,

MikeSp

AK more stopping power, more noise, very robust in harsh conditions, cheaper

AR higher rate of fire, lighter ammo...

wait, what?

The cards themselves are the same - as jorojr said, it is really just a marketing strategy by EVGA. Try to get the -AR if possible.

Back