Why Android Tablets Aren't Selling

Because when you go into bestbuy the employee tells you you can do the same stuff on a ipad and the battery last longer. yes you know it is a lie but the customer does not. I have witnessed this multiple times on my own.

Also as usual people always seem to compare single device sales when in fact if you add up all android tablets the story may be a much closer race.

I am unaware of the Nook color having USB ports? Or are you saying you can plug the Nook into a USB port on your machine to easily transfer data?

The power charger is actually an adapter for a USB male plug on the Nook Color.

still have yet to get an answer to this, why the hell wouldn't you use a netbook instead of one of these(any brand/type)? I can see if you're an artist but otherwise it doesn't make any sense at all.

because netbooks blow.

They're harder to use than a tablet (IMO). They're slower, they have junk GPU's, they get hotter, use more battery, have a smaller screen (with low quality screens), are awkward to hold when doing anything other than sitting, require you to lug around a bag with a powerbrick/mouse/etc and use software designed for a powerful laptop or desktop.

I liked my Dell mini for what it was, but I find my ipad to be a lot more useful. It was a noble effort to reduce the cost of notebooks, but it tried to be too many things and failed at all of them (except price)

Android, iOS... they are both dumbed down sorry excuses for an OS. Win8 will make tablets useful.

Thats what they said about Vista and 7....

next year: Windows 9 will make tablets AWESUM!!!!

Tablets are used differently and need a different interface to be useful. They are not a replacement for your computer, they are an in-between for your laptop and cell phone. They're for when you don't want to wait for your computer to boot up to check a website real quick, but you don't want to deal with the tiny screen on your phone.

If Windows were put on a tablet it would completely defeat the purpose. Lets see: Turn on tablet, wait 1 minute for windows to boot to a usable state, then do whatever you need to do on a clumsy interface ment for a keyboard and mouse, not a touch screen. OR turn on tablet, it's on instantly with android or iOS, and you easily navigate to whatever you need to with the large interface DESIGNED FOR touchscreens.

Another issue people bring up is price. Right now, many tablets are overpriced. This is because they are BRAND NEW. The entire tablet market as it is now was started with the iPad, which was set at a higher price point, thus other companies are basing their pricing around that. Combine that with the fact that they haven't really gotten a solid formula down for a good tablet, means that prices will be high for the next 1-2 years. Remember how expensive laptops used to be compared to desktops? now there are laptops that can be bought for $200-$300 rather than $1000+ starting price. Give it 2 years, netbooks will be gone, tablets will be cheap and replace them, and anyone who needs a portable COMPUTER will buy a laptop, not a tablet...

And "Windows 8" will probably have 2 very different versions, one for tablets and one for traditional (mouse and keyboard) computers. The differences in how one uses them are too great for a universal OS that can span both.

still have yet to get an answer to this, why the hell wouldn't you use a netbook instead of one of these(any brand/type)? I can see if you're an artist but otherwise it doesn't make any sense at all.

It's hard to use a netbook while standing and other positions and I use my pen for note taking and writing messages all the time, I'm much fatter with a pen than a touchscreen keyboard.

High Profile HD is used by Blu-Ray. Why the hell are you going to play Blu-Ray disk on a fucking iPad? You're nitpicking. If you're going to rip Blu-Ray to a video file to play on an iPad, just convert it to main profile MPEG-4.

People will whine about anything these days.

moron. read before you join a grown folks convo junior...

the post i started responding to was bitching about tegra 2 not handling hd video like and ipad.

both tegra 2 and unjailbroken ipad 1/2 support the same videos.

now after your response about installing an app that requires jb show me you're not paying attention.

i wasn't bitching at anything but your ignorance. i have both ios and android tablets and enjoy using both.

If Windows were put on a tablet it would completely defeat the purpose. Lets see: Turn on tablet, wait 1 minute for windows to boot to a usable state, then do whatever you need to do on a clumsy interface ment for a keyboard and mouse, not a touch screen.

Non-sense. My EP121 boots to a usable slate in 20 seconds and even my single-core Atom based HP Slate comes on in about 50 seconds. Plus you don't boot these machines constantly, you put them in sleep and coming out of that is pretty much instant with SSD based machines. Windows 7 slates have their issues but you're making up this stuff.

If anyone predicted the ipad would fail, they would have predicted that because there is no tablet market. The ipad didn't fail because there is an Apple-anything market.

Anyone with sense would run from a tablet. Sure, they can do some things, but they can't do nearly as much as a laptop and sensible people aren't going to carry both. All they offer over a smartphone is a bigger screen, just big enough that they won't fit in the pocket. And, sensible people aren't going to carry both a phone and a bigger-screen phoneless phone, understand? This is why there is no market for tablets.

Ah yes, the iPad only sold because it's an Apple device reason. Then why isn't Apple TV (both old and new) selling and getting 80%+ of the marketshare? Because they just aren't that good. The iPad, on the other hand, is selling because it is actually a very good device. The rest of your post is typical anti-Apple drivel you see posted everywhere. I understand why you may not make use of a tablet device, but not understanding why others would is just keeping your head in the sand.

Because when you go into bestbuy the employee tells you you can do the same stuff on a ipad and the battery last longer. yes you know it is a lie but the customer does not. I have witnessed this multiple times on my own.

Also as usual people always seem to compare single device sales when in fact if you add up all android tablets the story may be a much closer race.

Ah yes, the only reason iPads sell is because employees at Best Buy are lying to them, and the buyers are too stupid to understand this and then return their $500+ purchase.

I think all the arguing in this thread is really useless. Tablets are here to stay and they are not new devices they are just newer smaller technology applied to the UMPC. What we can expect is that we are going to get a wide range of devices which will fill every niche. The company I think best understands this right now is Acer with the iconia line. They Have very similar tablets running either android or windows. The only thing they are doing wrong is not getting this placed in stores like best buy and pushing them hard before others copy.

The only thing they are doing wrong is not getting this placed in stores like best buy and pushing them hard before others copy.

it's sad that staples has a better display for tablets than bestbuy does. at BB the tablets are just tossed in with the notebooks - at least at the 6 BB i've been to in 3 cities.

because netbooks blow.

They're harder to use than a tablet (IMO). They're slower, they have junk GPU's, they get hotter, use more battery, have a smaller screen (with low quality screens), are awkward to hold when doing anything other than sitting, require you to lug around a bag with a powerbrick/mouse/etc and use software designed for a powerful laptop or desktop.

I liked my Dell mini for what it was, but I find my ipad to be a lot more useful. It was a noble effort to reduce the cost of notebooks, but it tried to be too many things and failed at all of them (except price)

then just use your phone, still no good reason for an in between. It's not like you can put a tablet in your pocket either, and some netbooks have a great battery life and touchpads. Still not one valid reason unless you're an artist.

I enjoy the instant on rather than opening the netbook, waiting for Windows to come out of hibernation, and typing in my password, etc.

Sure, I'm really nitpicking here because it doesn't take windows all that long to come out of hibernation, and I could not have a windows password(or I could put a password on my iPad), but to me it's just less cumbersome because I don't have to flip it open, hold it in one hand and type, etc.

Again, I bought it just to experiment with, but I actually really like it. It's annoying as fuck when I go to a flash website and then I have to bust out my laptop...but hey, it is what it is.

I don't think anyone can give you an actual answer like you want, and I can't...but for some reason I really prefer it over my laptop now. I haven't logged into my laptop for weeks...and have a desktop to game on.

then just use your phone, still no good reason for an in between. It's not like you can put a tablet in your pocket either, and some netbooks have a great battery life and touchpads. Still not one valid reason unless you're an artist.

lolwut?

then just use your phone.

lol I do use my phone (when I'm out and about). When I'm at home and relaxing, I use my tablet. It's a win win. ;)

and some netbooks have a great battery life
lol good one

Still not one valid reason unless you're an artist.

lol no artist worth their salt is going to choose an ipad, or any tablet for that matter, over a workstation and a wacom tablet. I couldn't think of a shittier technology than touchscreens for digital artwork (unless finger painting is your thing)

lol no artist worth their salt is going to choose an ipad, or any tablet for that matter, over a workstation and a wacom tablet. I couldn't think of a shittier technology than touchscreens for digital artwork (unless finger painting is your thing)

Finger painting with an iPad is actually pretty spiffy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OLP4nbAVA4

But yeah I don't know why she keeps going on about artists. When I think of tablets, the last thing I think about is art.

...And 15 years ago, people would have said, "LOL no artist worth their salt would use a Wacom tablet, I couldn't think of a shittier technology than a stylus input for artwork"

See the cool thing about art is that you don't have to conform to specific things, and also that it changes with time.

...And 15 years ago, people would have said, "LOL no artist worth their salt would use a Wacom tablet, I couldn't think of a shittier technology than a stylus input for artwork"

See the cool thing about art is that you don't have to conform to specific things, and also that it changes with time.

As an artist myself, I completely agree with you. I just wanted to point out the lunacy in the statement that artists are the only people that could find a tablet useful. They're the furthest thing from useful for most digital artists (or close to it)

Then why were the first-generation AppleTV sales so lackluster? If there is an "Apple-anything market", then everything Apple makes would be as successful as the iPad. That isn't the case.

Apple has sold 820,000 AppleTVs in their second fiscal quarter of 2011 alone. This in spite of consumers not knowing what it is and having no use for it. That looks like a tremendous success.

Apple has sold 820,000 AppleTVs in their second fiscal quarter of 2011 alone. This in spite of consumers not knowing what it is and having no use for it. That looks like a tremendous success.

Selling a million $100 devices isn't even remotely close to the success of selling 12 million $500+ devices.

because netbooks blow.

Two rules of Apple [censored]:
1) They give Apple product praise that is very vague.
2) When they're not being vague, they're factually wrong.

Netbooks are "slower"? The Ipad has a 1Ghz processor. Netbooks typically have a 1.66GHz processor

Netbooks have "smaller screens". The iPad has a 9.7" display. Netbooks typically have 10.1" displays.

Netbooks "use more battery." Apple claims 10 hours of video. Some netbooks are rated at 13 hours of use.

Etc.

A netbook has a number of things ipads don't have, such as a camera and a real keyboard. Yet, a netbook costs half as much.

Netbooks are "slower"? The Ipad has a 1Ghz processor. Netbooks typically have a 1.66GHz processor

Netbooks have "smaller screens". The iPad has a 9.7" display. Netbooks typically have 10.1" displays.

Netbooks "use more battery." Apple claims 10 hours of video. Some netbooks are rated at 13 hours of use.

Etc.

A netbook has a number of things ipads don't have, such as a camera and a real keyboard. Yet, a netbook costs half as much.

Speed is not relative to processor speed. You can put a bloated OS on a 1.66GHz and it'll run slower than a lean OS running on a 1GHz. Mind you, I'm not saying Windows 7 is bloated, but it is when compared to iOS. Now if you put Windows 7 on an iPad and a netbook and do a comparison, then yes, the netbook will probably win benchmarks. Ditto putting iOS on netbooks and iPad and doing comparisons.

Etc.

How can you not see the gigantic holes in your arguments here? There not even worth pointing them out.

How can you not see the gigantic holes in your arguments here? There not even worth pointing them out.

lmao

I was going to aswell, but then realized the complete waste of time it would be and moved along. Logic isn't for everyone :p

Can someone explain to me the appeal of a tablet? I really haven't been able to think of a reason for wanting one. I mean I never find myself using a laptop and thinking "Man, I wish this thing were less powerful and didn't have a keyboard."

Tablets have uses... I've seen car dealers using them... even my kids doctor uses it to see my son's entire health history in a instant. Its all about specific functionality and/or convenience.

I have an ipad2.. for me... I love it for Netflix, project management system, movies on the go for the kids, interactive games (for me), education games for my 18mo old, and my wife loves having access to FB and the web. I've ordered a stylus for the ipad to make it work for my business apps.

Welp, bought an iPad today. :)

Bottom line, I perceive it to be a better buy than anything else available.

VLC and oPlayer. The thing is, they actually only play in software. The only way they could get the video accelerated is by hooking into the devices hardware accelerator (The same one the iPod video player uses), which then, doesn't actually work with my videos in the first place. The iPod 3th gen, in software mode, can't even reliably play 480p MKVs, i actually 'upgraded' to a 4th gen hoping that it'll be powerful enough for third party players to run. No go.

The only way you can play videos larger than 480p on an iPod (Demos on youtube show the same happening on iPads), is by using the onboard hardware decoder, but it will only work if the video was transcoded into the iPod profile anyway.

PS: I just checked youtube looking for that old demo. Found a better one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXBohn8M6pI

I'm really disappointed nVidia didn't go all the way with their Tegra 2. They already have a lot of experience with h264 (Theirs worked out of the box, ATI cards took over a year to work), yet didn't apply it on their mobile.

It's a device that lets you access your media library. How many ebooks, comic books, videos, etc. do you currently have? How'd you like to be able to carry them anywhere? I'm pretty sure there are times when you wish you can just take your netbook, lob off the keyboard and take the screen with you.

For anything that involves making anything (ie. Photoshop, writing documents, videos, etc.) it blows. But for playing them back, it's pretty convenient.

I am posting this from my netbook attached to a "22 monitor and KB/M. This thing is atleast as powerful as the Athlon64 3200+ i had years ago and i was doing 3D modeling on that. You don't need a Quad core to run photoshop, nor do you need 2TB to open a word document, programming is nothing more than an elaborate word processor 99% of the time. It's certainly powerful enough that my desktop has been mostly turned off for the past year aside from gaming and the occasional workload that the netbook can't handle (A few hundred 3000x3000 photos for processing, or a bug that needs constant recompiling). It made me question how much CPU we really need.

For anything that involves making anything (ie. Photoshop, writing documents, videos, etc.) it blows. But for playing them back, it's pretty convenient.

On productivity tablets, a distinction you made earlier, Photoshop rules actually, it's on of the main reasons why people plunk down good money on something like an EP121. While I agree with you with the distinction between productivity and entertainment slates, I don't think most people see it that way and indeed Android device makers are starting to blur the lines with devices like the HTC Flyer which has the same dual mode digitizer of the HP Slate, a key ingredient in productivity slates and is really the first non-Windows device I would call a tablet since it has a pen.

Speed is not relative to processor speed. You can put a bloated OS on a 1.66GHz and it'll run slower than a lean OS running on a 1GHz. Mind you, I'm not saying Windows 7 is bloated, but it is when compared to iOS. Now if you put Windows 7 on an iPad and a netbook and do a comparison, then yes, the netbook will probably win benchmarks. Ditto putting iOS on netbooks and iPad and doing comparisons.

Not really. Take Chrome running on that netbook and it will *kill* the iPad 2 in anything browser related - whatever benchmark you want, doesn't matter, netbook will win by a mile. Not only that, but Apple has to sacrifice a *lot* to get the scrolling speed everyone loves. The iPad can't even handle HTML4 correctly (no scrolling divs, scrolling iframes, fixed position elements, etc... "full web" my ass), there are a ton of corners cut to get the iPad's responsiveness. Which shouldn't really surprise anyone as the Atom is a lot faster than a Cortex A9 (also bigger and uses more power). Unfortunately for Google, Honeycomb 3.1 is both really responsive *and* supports all those HTML4 things the iPad doesn't - but nobody seems to care (it is, however, slower at CSS3 and HTML5 stuff).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the "netbook > tablet" crowd - I actually think netbooks are useless and tablets are awesome. IMO netbooks are a junk laptops - bump up to 13", get a fullsize keyboard, a fast CPU, and super long battery as well. The 10" tablets are too big, I think 8" tablets would be about ideal.

The iPad can't even handle HTML4 correctly (no scrolling divs, scrolling iframes, fixed position elements, etc... "full web" my ass)
I'm not sure what you mean by "scrolling div". A div is just a container element — what are you scrolling inside div elements? As for iframe scrolling: two finger scrolling. One finger scrolls the window; two fingers scrolls content within an iframe. Regarding fixed-position elements, that seems to be a design decision, not a hardware limitation. Not something I like (the site I'm currently building has a fixed-position footer, so I have to use JavaScript to force it to render as such on iOS and numerous other WebKit-based mobile browsers), but I don't believe there's any evidence that it's a hardware limitation (if a Xoom can do it, an iPad 2 most assuredly could as well).

What are you referring to with the etcetera?

The iPad has an IPS capacitive touchscreen. That kind of boosts the costs up.

I am posting this from my netbook attached to a "22 monitor and KB/M. This thing is atleast as powerful as the Athlon64 3200+ i had years ago and i was doing 3D modeling on that. You don't need a Quad core to run photoshop, nor do you need 2TB to open a word document, programming is nothing more than an elaborate word processor 99% of the time. It's certainly powerful enough that my desktop has been mostly turned off for the past year aside from gaming and the occasional workload that the netbook can't handle (A few hundred 3000x3000 photos for processing, or a bug that needs constant recompiling). It made me question how much CPU we really need.

I came upon the CPU question a long time ago, hence why my system hasn't had any kind of real upgrade, except the gpu and testing out the SSD (which the SSD has given me no noticeable gain).

Back