why am i not able to access my home WAMP server from internet?

Dr_Chanesaw

Limp Gawd
it works fine when i go to localhost, but when i type my IP 24.185.43.2, or go to my domain which points to my ip (http://bucket.bigbig.com) it won't work. I use optimum online, i know i have a dynamic IP, however the IP hasnt changed in at least 6 months.
I use WAMP Apache server on Vista.

Have a router w/NAT or a firewall enabled? Either of those could be blocking external connections.

If you try to go to that address from another computer on the network are you able to connect? Apache may be configured to not allow anyone other than localhost.

i cannot even connect from the same computer if i use the IP or domain, unless i type in "localhost"

sounds like you need to open port 80 on your router

maybe i will try that if i remember the password for my dlink router

You need to route port 80 requests to the machine that's hosting the website. You'll probably need to give that machine a static internal IP address in a range that's outside of your router's DHCP settings.

E.g. your router might have DHCP configured to dish out addresses in the range of 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.100. So you'll need to assign 192.168.1.101 or above to your PC, then in the router's firewall settings, allow incoming port 80 requests to go to 192.168.1.101. When you set the static IP, remember to use subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and set gateway and DNS to the IP address of your router.

This is all really a lot easier than it sounds.. :)

Just head over to portforward.com They have instructions for just about every router out there and very simple steps.

i'm going to try to mess with it tomorrow, still not too clear about what that subnet mask is, and what is the "IP address of my router" ? but i'll experiment

i'm going to try to mess with it tomorrow, still not too clear about what that subnet mask is, and what is the "IP address of my router" ? but i'll experiment

Find the instruction book that came with the router, or download it from the manufacturer's website, or try WiLLiSTER's advice.

Edit: most routers come pre-configured to use Ip address 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, and you can access the router setting through a web browser by entering http://192.168.1.1, for example.

This should help with setting a static IP on your PC Change TCP/IP settings in Vista

for the O.P.... same subject, different issue:

once in a while i use noip.com to have a hostname i can type in that will access my computers even when i have a dynamic address that changes frequently. to my recollection, it even works behind a NAT firewall.

Back