Why Ageia will Fail

Just to clarify... I'm not implying anyone is out to rip others off. I am merely saying it would make more business sense for them to alter their pricing plan so that they will sell more cards early on, thus allowing them to snatch a controlling section of the market before others can catch up. :)

Just like gas stations - the guy selling gas for two cents cheaper than the guy across the street always has a line at the pump.

I like the tech but I dont think it's worth $299 just yet. I'd pay $150 for it though... and I know alot of people who think similar things. I mean heck, for a guy still using a 6800... $299 is a new video card. :D

Ageia is not going anywhere.

Do you think developers would waste time and money on Ageia technology if they thought it would fail? No way in hell. The list of supported developers of Ageia technology is stunning.

/shrug

BitBoys list of partners was pretty impressive too... so was Aureal Audio's. I don't think they are going to go away either. ;) But I think they need to adjust their pricing, it'll give them a stronger hold on the market in the end.

jAkUp said:
Ageia is not going anywhere.

Do you think developers would waste time and money on Ageia technology if they thought it would fail? No way in hell. The list of supported developers of Ageia technology is stunning.

In comparison:

Have you seen the list of studios behind both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD? One of them is bound to fail and fade out. The theory of investment is a gamble in many situations.

I think ageia will succeed simply because of the fact that a majority of anti-ppu arguments I read are highly emotional or easily brushed aside as a joke.

cyks said:
I think ageia will succeed simply because of the fact that a majority of anti-ppu arguments I read are highly emotional or easily brushed aside as a joke.

Don't flame-bait. Name some you disagree with...

I hope i dont come across as
highly emotional
I am only making a claim that the technology is overrated and that the same will be had from far more experianced developers for cheaper.

Orinthical said:
But hey, look at how sound cards have 'evolved'. :rolleyes:
You mean devolved?

I don't think anyone can really make any assumptions about the future of Ageia or PPUs in general. There are multiple ways this can pan out, and there's probably an equal chance for any of them. I for one believe it's simply too soon.

dotK said:
Last I checked, Ageia just has marketing, dreams, and tech demos. I mean, there is such an expansive list of titles available utilizing the PPU, such as GRAW, GRAW, GRAW, GRAW, and that new GRAW game.

However, 0 x (any number) is still zero.

Faction said:
what's the point you ask?

I have a 7900GTX having 2 wouldn't make much sense for me as that would be laying down 1k dollars... but by adding a 7600GT (which im so glad you think is a POS, im sure the thousands of people who use that as their primary GPU agree with you) this enables you to potentially do the same as a physX processor on the cheap.... this isn't "sli" its an adaptation to SLI.

You obviously have no idea what I was talking about so I'll explain. Someone buys 2 video cards whichever they might be. They bought it with the intention of putting them in SLI so they can both do the rendering. Now with HavokFX or whatever the hell it is, that person has to sacrifice that cards rendering capabilities to make it calculate physics? Oh and I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words into my mouth. I never said the 7600gt was a POS. Everyone in every single thread says they can put whatever pci-e card in to do physics shit. What I'm saying is what if someone did buy 2 7900gtx's. Is that person's second 7900gtx now just gonna be used as a $500 physics calculator that won't even be able to do it as well as a standalone PPU?

I wasn't putting words in your mouth,

Ok stop with the "I can add some piece of shit card in my second pci-e slot to make it calculate the physics"
But either way- you are clearly not understaning the argument, YES you can still use the SLI for rendering if you so wish... but you also have the capability of using the 2nd card instead of rendering use it as a PPU, giving you the option for CPU limited games to increase performance and visual effect.

If someone has 2 7900GTX's using one as a PPU wouldnt be very effective use of money, the argument is that for those who are interested in a PPU and have 1 card currently can get another card of any type and use it, don't flame on the basis of some assumptions you are making.

The fact is, this will be a more viable upgrade path than spending 300 dollars for a Ageia card (BFG or ASUS).

why the h*ll would you spend $500 on another video card just to do physics??

If a game is "CPU limited" to the point where they don't even NEED their 2nd 7900, why the HECK would they need more physics power???? Show me 1 game that has demanding physics that isn't GPU limited. *They DON'T EXIST*

Ageia physX physics power >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 7X00 series physics power as well.

How in the world do you expect the physics power of a sh*tty 7600 to equal the physics power of a physX???? There's no point in buying a VIDEO CARD to run PHYSICS.

you get it????

edit:

you'd rather spend 300 on a useless video card instead?

Russ, I don't think buying a second 'crappy' video card just to do physics processing is a good idea... even though, if nvidia modified their drivers to allow for it, it may be possible to purchase a $140 video card strictly for physics processing in the future.

What you may or may not realize is that CPU's, GPU's and PPU's all compute the same 1's and 0's. When you reduce polygons, vertices and particles down you get math and alot of it... when you reduce physics, you get the same thing. What makes GPU's and PPU's different from CPU's is that they are single-role oriented. They are streamlined to compute data in certain ways hence they are much faster at doing so than a multi-role CPU.

PPU's have equations and instructions specific to their function just as GPU's do. Re-aligning or augmenting a GPU's function-set in order to perform PPU functions would be a relatively easy thing to do in a software layer - hence the ease at which video card developers are able to threaten PhysX.

Personally I see PhysX code being incorporated into new games in the future, especially FPS games, however I also see the possibility of Aegia being bought up by Nvidia or ATI and incporated as a 'feature' of the next-gen video cards... just as Aureal Audio was bought and incorporated into Sound Blaster products.

We'll just have to wait and see. :) But before you go insulting others; understand that the differences between what displays polygons and what generates extra smoke/debris in a realistic manner are not all that different from each other.

Back