I just wanted to share an experience with you guys, one of many, that solidifies my support of 3d implementations for game sound.
If you play world of warcraft and don't turn down your sound, you have probably realized how helpful it is in scoring victory.
Here I am fighting a duel, rogue vs. mage, and the mage is incredibly clever at blinking (teleporting) out of my stunning moves. He usually goes behind me.
If you've ever been in a duel, you know how crazy it can get to track an opponents movement. There's circle-strafing, but also blinking. I tend to point my camera in an overhead position.
Well, when the mage blinked behind me, I could not see him, period, since my vision was aimed downward to make sure I was behind the little gnome.
Blink puts him a long distance away, giving him time to cast, and i was already slowed. Any hesitation due to having to visually scan for him would have lost the fight and my reputation as a good dueler. The only way I won that fight was b/c my Creative card and 5.1 speakers told me that that guy had moved to my 5 o'clock position. So I quickly and reflexily swivelled to that position and started running towards him. You could almost call it "hand-to-ear" coordination that I didn't even know I had.
All of you nubs who protest 3d sound, or even turn off your sound in a game like WOW, would like have lost that fight, b/c it was literally a few fractions of a second that allowed me to get my last hit off. If you want to seek an improvement in any competitve game, get SOME type of 3d sound solution, whether it be an x-fi with headphones & CMSS, or 5.1 EAX.
If you play world of warcraft and don't turn down your sound, you have probably realized how helpful it is in scoring victory.
Here I am fighting a duel, rogue vs. mage, and the mage is incredibly clever at blinking (teleporting) out of my stunning moves. He usually goes behind me.
If you've ever been in a duel, you know how crazy it can get to track an opponents movement. There's circle-strafing, but also blinking. I tend to point my camera in an overhead position.
Well, when the mage blinked behind me, I could not see him, period, since my vision was aimed downward to make sure I was behind the little gnome.
Blink puts him a long distance away, giving him time to cast, and i was already slowed. Any hesitation due to having to visually scan for him would have lost the fight and my reputation as a good dueler. The only way I won that fight was b/c my Creative card and 5.1 speakers told me that that guy had moved to my 5 o'clock position. So I quickly and reflexily swivelled to that position and started running towards him. You could almost call it "hand-to-ear" coordination that I didn't even know I had.
All of you nubs who protest 3d sound, or even turn off your sound in a game like WOW, would like have lost that fight, b/c it was literally a few fractions of a second that allowed me to get my last hit off. If you want to seek an improvement in any competitve game, get SOME type of 3d sound solution, whether it be an x-fi with headphones & CMSS, or 5.1 EAX.