WHY? 18:9

M76

[H]F Junkie
I'm literally going crazy. I broke my phone about a month ago and I cannot find a suitable replacement, because every damn new phone out there uses this shit screen size and resolution.(2160x1080)

I want a QHD phone, or bust. Are there any of those available new? I just about missed the Huawei P10 Plus, I already ordered it, when they called me that it is no longer available. I had to return the case I already ordered for it.

Must haves:
  • >128GB storage
  • decent video quality with QHD recording option (not with these awful slow rolling shutters)
  • 16:9 screen with 2560x1440
  • Dual-sim

That's it. Why is this so hard to get? I want a phone not a damn strip. 2160x1080 my ass. They're literally selling worse resolution and less useful aspect ratio as innovation. My fingers barely reached the top of my 16:9 phone, why would I want a pole?

You want a giant phone, I'm sorry to tell you there's a race on to make them all super-tall.

You have it easier than us small phone non-curved users, who have the choice of the Pixel...and the Pixel. r the Galaxy Active, if I move to AT&T.

Yeah, my pixel 2 xl is in at 2880x1440. Tall as hell. It a bit more annoying that my 6p, but not too bad.

If you want all those features, find a used 6p. Great phone, has what you want.

Edit: iirc, it can record in 4k.

And I thought this was a joke until now. I haven't even heard about this 18.7:9 nonsense until I started looking for a phone now.

35_9.jpg

I kinda like the extended aspect ratio from the perspective of making a soft navigation bar NOT intrude on the main 16:9 app area, but even I have to admit that the Note 8's a bit unwieldy due to the length and lack of width to match.

On the other hand, there's the BlackBerry KEYone and KEY2, which frustrate me by having a SHORT screen to make room for the keyboard when I wanted a Priv-style slider keyboard (because on-screen keyboards still suck) that preserves the screen size, but with more modern specs and none of the total fail that is the Priv's software update track record (no Nougat on a phone that launched with Lollipop makes them even worse than Samsung and LG, which is saying something).

The modern smartphone market sure is a pile of begrudging compromises no matter what phone you pick...

Why 18:9? Same reason why there's about to be a notch on every device for 12-18 months, or why the latest fad in interior design is absolutely mandatory for suburban homes: because it's incredibly easy and cheap for companies to pass off inconsequential trends in consumer products as big upgrades, rather than actually deliver big upgrades.

Hence me and many others sticking with our LG G4's, even in spite of the bootloop potential. There's tons of them on the used market nowadays for $50-75 in excellent working condition. I've only had one of them actually bootloop on me (and I've owned 4 of them over the years, just buy/sell/trade when opportunity strikes) and I sent it off to LG for a warranty repair and got it back (sent and received on their dime with FedEx) about 10 days later, never had another issue with it, sold it for twice what I paid for it (bought it used to begin with).

Sure, it would be fantastic to have a nice high end flagship phone but at the moment there's nothing on the market today that suits me as well as my trusty dependable rock solid LG G4 (H811, the T-Mobile bootloader unlockable variant, but nowadays a method to unlock the bootloader on all of them exists iirc).

It still takes the best pictures I've ever seen from a smartphone camera to this day. I've tested all the major flagship cameras since the Galaxy S5 days and the one in the G4 still blows them all away IMO. I don't know what dark black magic LG came up with, but that camera sensor, that lens assembly, the nary any processing of the image data internally - including the pro mode options as well as RAW capture ability out of the box - just provides me with the best looking "photos" I've ever been able to take with a smartphone.

If this one dies, I know there's plenty more out there for purchase. I'd rather buy 10-20 LG G4 units and keep 'em in a shoebox for use when needed than buy one single Galaxy S9 or LG G7 or anything else these days. I'm running Oreo on this G4, and soon I'll be running Android P too, maybe even Q when it comes around sometime in 2019, who knows. The phone is rock solid, the camera can't be beat, the removable battery is a necessity, the display is awesome (while I wish it was FHD it's QHD and I can tolerate it), the single speaker gets crazy loud, the microSD card is also a necessity, and it just works great.

Newer does not mean better. And yes, the G4 is 16:9 as it should be. :p

But of course, I'm not like other people, obviously A measly 6 cores is more than enough for me. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
A used v10 checks all your boxes and the notch is a second screen.
Only thing I'd change is adding a large microsd and a 6kmah battery with qi (they exist) and you can get up to 9kmah battery packs. A second speaker would be cool too. Camera is fucking boss for a cheap phone.
P.s. the dac is amazing. This is coming from someone who typically spent more on sound than computers.

Honestly, I thought the V10 and V20 were the only phones that ever did notches right - by treating the notched-out area of the screen as a second screen, not part of the primary that's been bitten out.

V20 + Wacom EMR pen (the only reason I'm such a Galaxy Note loyalist) + Priv slider keyboard + Sharp 120 Hz screen = SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY, but it'll never happen. Niche of a niche.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Tiberian, do you have a link for instructions on how to root and load a custom rom onto a Verizon LG G4 (model vs986)? The Verizon model is packed with bloat, which might be why I get terrible battery life on it.. When I searched for this the guides found (mostly on xda) were either outdated or too complex for the layman.

OK, It is official, I'm fucked. I still found a retailer listing the p10 plus, ordered it, paid it, then it turned out it was the wrong model. Single sim instead of dual sim. And they couldn't exchange it. So I'm back to square one.
I just don't know what to do, bite my tongue and get one of these 18:9 abominations? But even then I need to find one with a flat screen and no notch. Which is getting harder and harder. Or I just show the freaking middle finger I don't have to get a new phone at all costs. Especially not one I don't like.

I love the 18:9 screens.. it feels wrong when I use standard screen size device.

OK, It is official, I'm fucked. I still found a retailer listing the p10 plus, ordered it, paid it, then it turned out it was the wrong model. Single sim instead of dual sim. And they couldn't exchange it. So I'm back to square one.
I just don't know what to do, bite my tongue and get one of these 18:9 abominations? But even then I need to find one with a flat screen and no notch. Which is getting harder and harder. Or I just show the freaking middle finger I don't have to get a new phone at all costs. Especially not one I don't like.
Does the notch really matter? Almost all support disabling it anyway so in practice they are quite close to 16:9.

2560x1440 and 4k on phones never catched on. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but it's either 1920x1080 or 2160x1080, unless you go iOS, which has it's own esoteric resolutions.

I went from note 2 to a Huawei mate se and I didn't know about 18:9 until my new phone arrived.

I didn't understand the screen until I researched it read about this aspect ratio stuff

I hate 18:9 it's extremely tall and thin
but I rooted my phone and now I can't return it

but my new phone is super fast and battery life is much better, it's a great phone, no way I'm going back to my note 2.

I really hate the 18:9 so much that I've been looking to buy a new phone again. I really wanted the newest note but its got a curved edge and way to tall!

the problem is am facing is the same problem you are having is that most phones are 18:9

I will never buy an 18:9 phone again

what's a notch? the middle clicky button at the bottom of old phone? I dont like those either.

the other problems I am having is that the phones lcd always go right up to the edge of the phone so when I'm holding the phone with two hands my thumbs can't reach the q and p button. I have to move my hands outwards. that's why edges on phone were great. I just need a couple more millimetres on the edge.
it's not a big problem because I can buy a case but the new cases also have very thin edges

smartphone-431231_1280.jpg

you see here, the reason to hold the phone this way is to have more grip, but because of the thin edge my thumbs are right on top of the w and o keys, so I need more edge in order for my thumbs to be naturally on top of the q and p keys.
of course I can spread my hands out a little but the the grip on the phone isn't as good

and the other problem is I always buy extended batteries so I have to search if the phone I like has extended batteries on eBay and the extended batteries cases also have thin edges.

I had my note 2 for 6 years and I loved it. but the processor is simply too slow.

I tried to avoid buying a new phone as long as I could because I knew buying a new phone is difficult.

my note 2 had 18:6, 10,000mah battery and thick edge case, it was perfect but slow processor

for now I'm stuck with an 18:9 phone that has a 4000mah battery thin edge but waiting on my new case to arrive with thicker edge case and it has a fast processor
so sad

Last edited:
Does the notch really matter? Almost all support disabling it anyway so in practice they are quite close to 16:9.
No thanks, once you had a phone with QHD display you're not going back to FHD.And actually the phones with the notch are 18.7:9, without the notch they're 18:9. It is more about how the phone looks, not the actual usability of this aspect ratio. I think a phone so long and so thin looks weird. And it probably wouldn't fit into any of my pockets.
what's a notch? the middle clicky button at the bottom of old phone? I dont like those either.
No, the notch is at the top where the screen actually wraps around the speaker of the phone. The mate doesn't have it, but the P20 does.
huawei-p20-pro-notch.jpg

I think it looks extremely stupid. I'd rather the screen ended at the level of the "notch" completely and not go around it.

I'm also against screens that are curved at the side. I want my phone to have a completely flat screen with a thin bezel, and not one where the screen actually curves down at the sides exposing it to all the elements and potential damage from every side. Besides this also looks stupid to me.

Last edited:
No thanks, once you had a phone with QHD display you're not going back to FHD.And actually the phones with the notch are 18.7:9, without the notch they're 18:9. It is more about how the phone looks, not the actual usability of this aspect ratio. I think a phone so long and so thin looks weird. And it probably wouldn't fit into any of my pockets.
To be honest, in practice I don't see any benefit in QHD over full hd around 5". Comparing Nokia 8 to Honor 8. Both are sharp enough. Battery wise QHD is a waste though.

You say that it makes phone long? Not necessarily. Honor 10: 149.6 x 71.2 x 7.7 mm, 153 g. Honor 8: 145.5 x 71 x 7.5 mm, 153 g. Whopping 4mm length difference! In fact the dimensions are almost exactly the same. Don't just look at the display size, look the actual phone dimensions instead.

Last edited:
To be honest, in practice I don't see any benefit in QHD over full hd around 5". Comparing Nokia 8 to Honor 8. Both are sharp enough. Battery wise QHD is a waste though.

You say that it makes phone long? Not necessarily. Honor 10: 149.6 x 71.2 x 7.7 mm, 153 g. Honor 8: 145.5 x 71 x 7.5 mm, 153 g. Whopping 4mm length difference! In fact the dimensions are almost exactly the same. Don't just look at the display size, look the actual phone dimensions instead.
No, I'm saying their proportions are wrong. I don't mind a large phone, but its width should be in proportion to its length. The P20 Pro has the same height as my old phone, but its width is 7.5mm less. That's a deal breaker.

I didn't know about the notch and yes it looks stupid. Another thing to add to my list of bad things on phones not to buy.

dimensions is what I've been looking for too. my note 2 is
151.1 height x 80.5 width

my mate se is
156.5 height x 75.3 width

big difference! mate se is much taller and thinner. anything bigger than 152 is a no go for me.

maybe I should've bought the honor 6x
150.9 height x 76.2 width, it has 16:9 but the battery is a bit smaller.
the width is smaller than the note but bigger than the mate se

is there a way to find out the width of the LCD screen not including the bezel.

I'm not sure if they made the width of the LCD screens smaller or it just seems that way because they made the bezel smaller.

the width on all the phones are different because of the bezel size but the LCD screen width looks all the same. I tried measuring it with a ruler but I wasn't very successful

Last edited:
I love the 18:9 screens.. it feels wrong when I use standard screen size device.

Agreed. I used a Galaxy S8+, Pixel 2 XL and an iPhone X since late last year and love the aspect ratio. I have had ZERO problems.

I mean I get why people like 18:9 its just really odd as a display. that being said I just ordered a Essential phone so lets see how this goes.

Did you even look at the V10/20s?

1440p
16:9
Dual sim
expandable storage
no notch (it's a 2nd screen)
Cheap and lots of parts
Solid build (steel sides, not bendy alu).
Excellent Camera
Fast
Good to remote into to a 1440p desktop..

Did you even look at the V10/20s?

1440p
16:9
Dual sim
expandable storage
no notch (it's a 2nd screen)
Cheap and lots of parts
Solid build (steel sides, not bendy alu).
Excellent Camera
Fast
Good to remote into to a 1440p desktop..
Yes I did, no longer sold new. There is one leftover stock at one vendor for an insane price. And I'm not a fan of LG's curvy designs anyway. My temporary phone is a basic LG as well.

Yes I did, no longer sold new. There is one leftover stock at one vendor for an insane price. And I'm not a fan of LG's curvy designs anyway. My temporary phone is a basic LG as well.
Fair call.
I don't care about used, rather spend few hundred on a few year old flagship and the savings on a GPU or a nitrous system for the race car. But that's just me! Good luck in your hunt... you're pickier than I :)

Reactions: M76
like this
Fair call.
I don't care about used, rather spend few hundred on a few year old flagship and the savings on a GPU or a nitrous system for the race car. But that's just me! Good luck in your hunt... you're pickier than I :)
Well 6-800 is a lot of money, so I'm not taking any compromises. As for buying used phones, I've taken apart a few used phones, including mine: It's disgusting.

It sucks but it's just the way the industry is going. Its a big trend that probably will be the new standard for phones in 2018 and 2019. I hate the notch on my iphone x. I thought I would get used to it, but it never goes away. Now it looks like the Pixel 3 is going that way too. I would rather have a small chin and a small area above the screen.

It sucks but it's just the way the industry is going. Its a big trend that probably will be the new standard for phones in 2018 and 2019. I hate the notch on my iphone x. I thought I would get used to it, but it never goes away. Now it looks like the Pixel 3 is going that way too. I would rather have a small chin and a small area above the screen.

Really? I stopped noticing the notch in its entirety after only a few hours. Only time I notice it is when I put my phone horizontally which is only to watch the occasional video.

Really? I stopped noticing the notch in its entirety after only a few hours. Only time I notice it is when I put my phone horizontally which is only to watch the occasional video.
I haven't even thought about watching a video on a device with a notch. But now that you mention it, HELL NO. That makes it even more absolute, that I refuse to use such garbage.

I'm not a fan of all the notches and rounded corner weird shaped screen bullshit BUT I was under the impression that none of that interfered with videos unless you use the zoom/fill screen option. For 16:9 content, isn't the usual behavior just to fill the screen vertically (that is vertically while the phone is in landscape mode) and then the notch etc. is effectively pillarboxed out and not interfering with anything? When it comes to 16:9 content, you want to think about these displays as 16:9 displays plus some bonus area for UI. You're not really losing anything (aside from, subjectively, aesthetic appeal).

I see Sony has a big fat 16:9 flagship if you're that way inclined, although I think they're asking more than it's worth frankly.
That is exactly the problem. If I'm watching a video in a relatively dark environment in landscape (the only sane option for watching video) then the notch area is just there besides the fullscreen video, burning a hole in my eyes? The exact point of watching a video in fullscreen is that there is no UI besides or on, or under, or anywhere near it. The video should fill the entire screen area, and that is impossible with such a device.

Anyhow, I just got the replacement screen for my old phone yesterday after waiting 6 weeks on it. So fuck notches, fuck curved screens, and fuck 18:9, I just replaced the screen and I'm back in business!

what model is your old phone
Vibe Z2 Pro

I have two issues with it: 32GB storage is not nearly enough. And it had no official updates since Android 5, thanks to that I'm going to avoid lenovo in the future. And I was not able to root it, tried every method they mentioned on the net, it just seems impossible, so no way to install any unofficial software.

i'm almost at 30 gb full, luckily i have 64gb plus and sd card of 64, ya i agree 32gb is not enough too bad your phone cant have an sd slot,
i think most phone companies do that, they dont give updates to force you to buy a new phone

were you able to unlock the bootloader?

have you heard of lineageOS? it's available for your phone, i installed lineageOS for my note 2, they give updates frequently

https://lineageos.org
https://download.lineageos.org/kingdom
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/kingdom/install

I've tried to install lineage OS, but there is no way to unlock the bootloader. I've tried more than one method but none worked on this particular phone.

sorry to hear that,

it took me 3 complete days of research to find out how to unlock the bootloader of my huawei mate se, everyphone i buy it always takes me a very long time to unlock phones, its annoying

it has android 8.0 because its brand new, but i know they won't give me updates forever, and i theres no lineageOS on it yet, hopefully in the future, lineageOS is awesome

as much as i hate tall phones i cant go back to my slow note, my mate se rocks, its super fast, im going to keep it until i can find a fast smaller phone
hopefully soon, i really hate tall phones, it bugs me everyday

heres a good website to compare phones, as you can see my mate se if much taller

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...ung-GALAXY-Note-II-T-Mobile/phones/10748,7502

im looking at maybe honor6x its the same height as my note

Bump!

I'm still waiting for a decent phone.

I'm now ready to make the following concession: It doesn't need to have QHD 16:9 Screen.

But I'm still adamant about these things:

• Absolutely no notch!
  • Must have flat screen, none of this curved at the sides nonsense
  • Screen should be a rectangle not tapered at the corners.
  • Must have a bezel at the sides, no infinitely vulnerable screen where you can't hold the phone without accidentally triggering the touchscreen.
  • 128+ GB internal storage
  • 4K video recording with decent quality (preferably 60fps but that's not a must if the quality is great)
  • dual sim
  • decent battery life (~ 4000mAh at least)
  • I don't wish to spend more than $400 on a phone.
Any ideas?

Bump!

I'm still waiting for a decent phone.

I'm now ready to make the following concession: It doesn't need to have QHD 16:9 Screen.

But I'm still adamant about these things:

• Absolutely no notch!
  • Must have flat screen, none of this curved at the sides nonsense
  • Screen should be a rectangle not tapered at the corners.
  • Must have a bezel at the sides, no infinitely vulnerable screen where you can't hold the phone without accidentally triggering the touchscreen.
  • 128+ GB internal storage
  • 4K video recording with decent quality (preferably 60fps but that's not a must if the quality is great)
  • dual sim
  • decent battery life (~ 4000mAh at least)
  • I don't wish to spend more than $400 on a phone.
Any ideas?

Xiaomi redmi k20 pro.. I think fits everything what you ask.

If price its not considered I would say Oneplus 7 PRO and Oneplus 7t PRO are the best notchless phone out there..

Reactions: M76
like this
Xiaomi redmi k20 pro.. I think fits everything what you ask.
Yeah that's what I thought as well, it is called Mi 9T Pro here, but same difference. The only thing that it has which I have a problem with is the curved edges on the screen.

The oneplus7 has that awful curved screen

Back