WHSv1 Questions

Abula

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

Im about to install WHSv1 on a new server on Asus P8B WS, im wondering a couple of things before i mess it up,

1) Should i set sata as AHCI or IDE? i have no plans on hotswaping, but i would like what would work best for WHSv1 or give me the least conflicts with HBAs.

2) Do i need to install Intel RST? i dont remember but i think for older OS it was called different like intel matrix storage...... or should i let WHSv1 use whatever it comes with?

3) Im using an Hitachi 5k500b for OS, but as soon as all drivers are updated and whsv1 is up to date, ill be adding an Intel SASCU8i and 8x 5k3000, do i need to preinstall drivers for it before i boot with it plug with the hdds?

4) Any tests you would recommend to check if the hdds are working correctly before i move all my data from the old server?

Thanks for your time,

Hi,
1) Should i set sata as AHCI or IDE? i have no plans on hotswaping, but i would like what would work best for WHSv1 or give me the least conflicts with HBAs.

2) Do i need to install Intel RST? i dont remember but i think for older OS it was called different like intel matrix storage...... or should i let WHSv1 use whatever it comes with?

3) Im using an Hitachi 5k500b for OS, but as soon as all drivers are updated and whsv1 is up to date, ill be adding an Intel SASCU8i and 8x 5k3000, do i need to preinstall drivers for it before i boot with it plug with the hdds?

4) Any tests you would recommend to check if the hdds are working correctly before i move all my data from the old server?

Thanks for your time,

1) IDE will work fine.

2) Probably not. I didn't bother.

3) No. Install WHS then add Intel card. WHS may prompt for drivers. Use Server 2003 drivers or, if not available, XP drivers may work.

4) You need the 8off pool drives? Probably not. You could be anal and "long" format them before use.

Thanks Asposium, appreciate the reply.

I follow your recommendation, and everything seems to be working great, well i havent done much, just formated with whsv1 and updated all drivers and windows updates. Im right now in the process of installing the Intel SASCU8i, but this is new to me, so i might need some help,

I was reading Intel SASUC8I and LSI SAS3081E-R LSI 1068e Based RAID Controller Review, but im a little confused, it get the impression they flash it under windows (maybe with dos command, idk), then i read 16266, Flashing IT firmware over IR firmware (and vice versa) for SAS HBAs, they seem go with bootable usb to flash the card. Now checking the file on LSI website, it seems thats the file SAS3081ER_Package_P21_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows does the flash for both DOS/Win. Now entering the file there are mulitple sasflashes, one in the root (idk for what is that one for), then 4 more in their directories (DOS, Winx86, Winx64 and Winxia68), so im guessing if i go the DOS route, i need only the salsflash under the dos directory, and from the root directory mptsas.rom (bios) and 3081ETB3.fw (firmware), still not sure though, maybe someone else can confirm if what im doing is right.

Back