whs to hyper-v using disk2vhd

fireburster

[H]ard|Gawd
OK i have a current whs with 1 500gig thats the os drive, 1 samsung f4 2tb drive. I want to convert the e6600 with 8gig of ram to a 2008 r2 running hyper-v.

I plan on adding all drivers physically not virtual for the pool. I want to know if i use disk2vhd do i just convert the 20gig OS or do the total 500gb hdd. The drive has 55% on it now.

I am currently converting C and D then plan on just doing a vm 500gig hard drive, then adding the 2tb physical to the vm.

Id like to not use the orginal 500gig and boot off that as i only have room for 5 drives right now and i want to use a 1.5tb for the 2k8 and vms then plan on 2 total 2tbs for now.

I converted the 20gig whs OS and added it to my laptop running hyper-v and that worked, just not sure about the rest of the pool on that drive.

Last edited:
You say the drive has 55% on it now. you mean that 500GB is 55% full? or just the D: partition on the 500gb or the entire Drive Pool?

What i would do is use a script to move as much data as possible off of the DATA partition on the Boot drive to the DE Pool Drives.

Code:
@echo off
if not exist d:\fake md d:\fake
:loop
fsutil file createnew d:\fake\fake%random%.txt 5368709120
cls
echo "Program is running. Return in few hours to see the progress made."
echo "Ctrl-C to end the script."
ping localhost -n 30 > nul
GOTO loop

Once you have completed that i would create VHDs of both partitions on the Boot drive.
Then create youre VM in Hyper-v
Add your two VHDs as IDE drives
Add your Physical Drives as SCSI passthrough
Once you have successfully booted and verified that the DE Pool is there. You can open Disk Management on the VM shrink the partition on the boot DATA Partition (should shrink a lot because there is no data on it).
Shut down the VM, convert the VHD to dynamic and shrink/compact to save disk space.

Although if you dont have much customization/addins you might consider just doing a reinstall with your DE passthrough disks and just copy whatever data was left on the 500GB to the new VM.
You can also copy over your old WHS backups if you are worried about losing those.

I'm doing a disk2vhd now so i cant pull up the console yet. I don't mind doing a new whs setup just worried about losing the backups.

I have backed up my backups once but i haven't moved them to another install before.

Yes the 500gb shows 55% on the console using the disk management addin. I have a 2tb with 20%, 1.5tb with 99% and the 500gig with 55%. Im going to remove the 1.5tb and use it for the new OS drive once my second f4 2tb comes in.

Ok cool.

Yea moving the Backup Database is really easy.

Open a CMD prompt
Type "net stop PDL"
Type "net stop WHSBackup"
On your new WHS DE Pool Delete the contents of D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}. Do not delete the folder.
Copy the contents from your old WHS hard drive E:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4} to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.<Replace E:\ with appropriate drive letter>
Open a CMD prompt
Type "net start PDL"
Type "net start WHSBackup"
Reboot

I assume i need to move that folder then re-add that old drive to the pool on the new whs?

No, when you add a drive to the pool it will delete everything on that drive.

Right now your backups are at D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
You need to copy the contents of your current to the new WHS if you do a reinstall.
I

so i should at the new 2tb to the pool on the new whs vm. Then copy everything over from my old pool and the backups then add the old hard drives to the new pool is what i meant.

thanks for the help.

not to thread jack but i think im going to move my whs to a vm and start from scratch. I will rebuild it but I want to transfer all the computers/backups.

I just rebuild the vm, then copy the files as listed above. And it would be like I didnt even rebuild? all the computers etc would be there?

Back