WHS tip and Tricks

strikerP4

Limp Gawd
ANyone have any WHS tip or tricks? I just set one up and it's pretty cool so far.

Plug it in- and it works.

Not sure what else you'd need to do...

You can go online and look for WHS addons if you like, but don't run additional features if you don't need them, it just adds overhead.

My WHS box serves as a backup device, mainly... I don't use the photo sharing features or anything.

I just started working with the functionality of mine because I bought it as a backup device as well. If you have an Xbox 360, you have some options for streaming media to it. You can also keep your music on the WHS box and play it through a shared library in iTunes (or MediaMonkey, I think).

I also have the remote access enabled, so I can access my files from work or anywhere else I might go. I haven't really found any add-ons that do anything special for me though. I'm very happy with the device, and it is pretty much a plug it in and forget it device.

I use my WHS as a backup device. So I don't use it to store my media... If I did that then I'd have to backup the backup device :D

I use my WHS as a backup device. So I don't use it to store my media... If I did that then I'd have to backup the backup device :D

True, but there is an exception.

My desktop is still my main hub for new music buys and DVDs I encode. I have it set so all of it gets backed up to my WHS. That way my WHS can stream it to other PC's in my house without fear because I still have it two places and still have my music on DVD media as well. If I lose a drive that costs me DVD rips, well I go reach back into my storage bin and re-ISO the discs. ;)

I have an external USB drive connected to my WHS which I use to back that up...just to be extra safe. My important data on the WHS box is set to be duplicated across drives, in case of a failure.

My desktop is still my main hub for new music buys and DVDs I encode. I have it set so all of it gets backed up to my WHS. That way my WHS can stream it to other PC's in my house without fear because I still have it two places and still have my music on DVD media as well. If I lose a drive that costs me DVD rips, well I go reach back into my storage bin and re-ISO the discs. ;)
Now, that's fine... Kindof uses twice the disk space (your music is kept once in the backup and again in the shared folders).

If the whole network is running Windows 7 though, streaming and sharing isn't a worry anyway. Anything can stream to anything else.

I have an external USB drive connected to my WHS which I use to back that up...just to be extra safe. My important data on the WHS box is set to be duplicated across drives, in case of a failure.
Doesn't account for fire or natural disaster.

Doesn't account for fire or natural disaster.
Nope, it doesn't, but none of my data is actually "that" precious. I have my wedding photos stored in a SkyDrive, but that's about it. I also have scans in there of our marriage license, and some other important paperwork, in an encrypted zip file. Other than that, it's just software, movies, and music that can be replaced.

Back