WHS (server 2003 sbs) cannot access vista share

Adidas4275

Supreme [H]ardness
I have 2 vista machines and 1 WHS and i am trying to access the vista PCs network shares from the WHS but it gives me access denied errors.

I have enable everyone for sharing permissions.

I did have success with the public folders when enabled through the "network center" but that is it.

it is really giving me a headache. anyone have experience accessing network shares that are on a vista machine from a WHS or Server 2003

when i search i get all issues with the other way around. from a vista accessing WHS or 2003...

thanks for the help

Where is SBS in the mix?
What is running DNS for the network?
Are they actually joined to the domain?

Yea which are you running? There is a big difference.

Anyway if it is windows home server you need to use the same user account on every machine or disable password protected file sharing and give everyone access to the share.

If it is sbs03 you need to put the vista machine on the domain.

The installer for WHS shows it as being SBS in a couple of places. Since its OEM and not retail, I think MS was a little sloppy in the installer cleanup since it wasn't meant for end-users eyes.

Other than that, the two products have no relationship to each other in any way.

The Vista machines with shares? Which version of Vista? (Home premiuim, Ultimate, etc)

It makes a big difference...

Since you are accessing from the WHS server, you are logged in as administrator when trying to access the shares, correct? And the same password is used for the administrator accounts on the Vista PCs?

so i figured it out, in order for me to get it to work "right" i had to enable the administrator user name in vista and have the shares be "sharred" with the administrator account.

then when the WHS logged into the Vista share with administrator user name and the same password it worked correctly.

thanks for the help guys

Back